11. Mär. 2008, 20:00
I posted this on Myspazz but felt like copying and pasting it here since I have a different mob of friends here.
Top 10 of 2007:
1: Lunar Aurora: Andacht
- Lunar Aurora's final album proves to be their best. A living monument to the true art in modern Black Metal, Andacht shows you can have a new, unique and thoroughly modern sound without sacrificing any of the cold, dark core of true Black Metal.
2: Sigh: Hangman's Hymn
- Mirai Kawashima is a genius, beyond all doubt. Hangman's Hymn's unique fusion of 80's Black Metal, German Thrash and orchestration epitomises avant-garde metal like few others, flawlessly welding concept and substance in a manner rarely seen in the style over substance world of experimental extreme Metal.
3: Mayhem: Ordo ad Chao
- Just as Andacht showed that new bands with new sounds can still exist without loosing the true core of Black Metal, so Ordo Ad Chao shows that a classic band can simultaneously return to it's root while still creating something entirely new. A fantastic journey of despondency, dark psychedelia and sheer hatred from a still living legend.
4: Farsot: IIII
- A deep, emotive journey made of equal parts quirky experimentation and traditional Black Metal darkness IIII's clever song structures, flowing concept and fantastic riffs prove there is still life in the underground yet.
5: Sear Bliss: The Arcane Odyssey
- Yet another superb album form a band that has yet to ever put a foot wrong with their unique brand of cosmic Black Metal. From the epic opener Blood on the Milky Way to the folky rhythms and traditional instrumentation of Path to the Motherland, The Arcane Odyssey is a fantastic addition to Sear Bliss' already flawless discography.
6: Gallhammer: Ill Innocence
- Still brimming with the sprawling sounds of urban suffocation, delirious negativity and untainted spite, Gallhammer's second album does not disappoint in any way, and even builds upon the first through a greater variety in song writing and a flawless production job.
7: Ulver: Shadows of the Sun
- Through a delightful blend of delicate piano melodies, warm ambience and, of course, Garm's amazing vocals, Ulver have produced a perfect companion to those quiet evenings away from the waking world. As sublime as it is endearing, Shadows of the Sun is yet another unique addition to the gems of Ulver's discography.
8: Shining: V:Halmsted
- Niklas Kvarforth shows yet again that he is one of the best songwriters in extreme music today, bringing a multitude of non-metal instruments to the fold without ever sacrificing the overwhelming negativity of Shining's truely unique Suicide Black Metal style.
9: Endless Dismal Moan: Ruin
- One of the orient's best kept secrets, Ruin fuses the sprawling despair of Shining with the cold industrial madness of Aborym to produce a unique abomination of despondent and filthy Industrial Black Metal. Without a doubt the most abrasive and downright horrifying release this year, but absolutely one of the best.
10: Primordial: To the Nameless Dead
- It's tempting to just write "It's Primordial..."; at this stage Primordial seem nigh on unstoppable, armed as they are with a truely unique sound that defies all conventional Metal genres. Brimming with epic passion, nostagia and personal wisdom, To the Nameless Dead is yet another must own album from Ireland's proudest sons.
10: Novembre: The Blue
- A joint 10th this year and deservedly so. With The Blue, Novembre are finally showing what they're really capable of with their unique, serene take on Metal. Faster, heavier and more varied than 2006's Materia while retaining the beautiful marine atmosphere of it's predecessor (seriously, all the imagery evoked by this album involves reefs, lagoons and marshland). A stunning realisation of one of the most individual sounds in Metal today, love it or loath it.
Minor Technical Awards 2007:
Best song: Lunar Aurora: Das Ende
(Honerable Mentions: Gallhammer: Ripper in the Gloom, Sear Bliss: A Deathly Illusion, Farsot: Thematik:Trauer, Sigh: In Devil's Arms)
Best Lyrics: Gallhammer: Ripper in the Gloom
(Honerable Mentions: Lunar Aurora: Das Ende, Sear Bliss: Blood on the Milky Way, Shining: Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra, Novembre: Zenith).
Best Vocals: Atilla [Mayhem]
(Honerable Mentions: Aran [Lunar Aurora], Kvarforth [Shining], Neige [Alcest], Garm [Ulver], Chaos9 [Endless Dismal Moan], Alan [Primordial])
Best Cover Art: Sear Bliss: The Arcane Odyssey
(Honorable Mentions: Ulver: Shadows of the Sun, Lunar Aurora: Andacht, Gallhammer: Ill Innocence, Alcest: Souvenirs d'un autre monde)
Best Live act: Therion
(Honorable Mentions: Sigh, Enslaved, Taake, Primordial, Anaal Nathrakh, Avulsed, 1349, Code, Gallhammer, Negura Bunget)
10 albums for 2008:
1: Enslaved: [New album]
2: Trinacria: Travel Now Journey Infinitely
3: Havoc Unit: h.IV+
4: Code: [New album]
5: Skepticism: [New album]
6: Katatonia: [New album]
7: Vinterriket: Gebirgshöhenstille
8: Keep of Kalessin: [New album]
9: 1349 [New album]
...oh and of course Darkthrone: Dark Thrones and Black Flags... just because it's Darkthrone.