31. Jan. 2013, 14:20 von enigmapanda
21. Sep. 2008, 10:08 von jeejThes One, from People Under The Stairs, has released a free hour long mixtape, called Funner Than Leather, in anticipation of the new PUTS album Fun DMC, due out 30th September. Full details here... http://www.juslikemusic.com/thes-one-funner-than-leather/
5. Sep. 2008, 15:17 von blackdiggsIf you are a "Instrumental Junkie" like myself I have 2 Producers to recommend. Some of you, may already be on to them, some of you may not.
The ARE - Still Climbing ( Free Download)
Russell "The ARE" Gonzalez, former member of K-Otix, has been on the grind since '91. He has release several mixtape featuring his own beats (Still Climbing, Dem Damb Jacksons & Manipulated Marauders). He also has a group project with his close friend and fellow Houston resident, Kay of the Foundation, entitled "Together Brothers". His talents have landed him a position as an official member of the Trackmasters. For more information on The Are, check out RappersIKnow.com
Thes One - Lifestyle Marketing ( Buy )
Thes One (born Christopher Portugal in Lima, Peru, 1977) is one half of the alternative hip hop duo People Under The Stairs. An MC and producer, Thes One is recognized for his eclectic and diverse range of beats. …
7. Feb. 2008, 4:19 von ChilledBanannahttp://g.virbcdn.com/cdnImages/noResize/Image-162545-872306-chillheader.jpg
TUNE EZINE #3
<<< welcome >>>>
The Chillout Bar's Ezine ... designed just for YOU!
FRom ThEdIT able With the holidays and hangovers over, 2008 is now in full swing and I'm happy to provide you with Vol #3 full of interviews, cd releases and downloads for you to explore. ENjoy!
<<< INTERVIEW >>>
Thes One - the history behind his debut instrumental album, Lifestyle Marketing
Please introduce yourself
My real name is Chris Portugal. I am also part of the duo the People Under The Stairs (PUTS). A dedicated duo who have never used a computer in the formation of their music.
As for Thes One project, I am constantly looking for new wax to find revelations in the form of old school beats. I write rhymes, but stay away from the norm in hip hop and write uplifting lyrics to bring you up. Because
14. Jan. 2008, 18:40 von motsfauxI'm resurrecting myself with IndieAsshats. I let it die, but I get to be Dr. Frankenstein too, okay? deal.
but here's this, to get it (re)started.
TOP ALBUMS OF 2007
30. Paramore "Riot!"
- ripping off Refused takes guts. these kids have them, and do the job right.
29. The Snake The Cross The Crown "Cotton Teeth"
- the amazing transformation through an EP and two full-lengths into a most excellent group of storytellers.
28. The Chariot "The Fiancee"
- so gorgeous and violent. and the chamber choirs are lovely.
27. Avril Lavigne "The Best Damn Thing"
- just listen to the track "I Don't Have To Try" – bubble-gum pop beats roll into Sum 41 riffs to a Brody Dalle growl…it's over the top, ridiculous, and barely like trying, indeed.
26. Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton "What Is Free To A Good Home? EP"
- a perfect appendix to last year's "Knives Don't Have Your Back."
25. Winter Wardrobe "Paul and the Owl EP"
12. Nov. 2007, 3:58 von nate32xI love music that's just a hair on either side of hope and melancholy. No, it's not Bach that does it for me, although people tell me he's good. Its hip hop's vibrations that hit that emotional spot. I mean the whole massive genre, of course, not just whatever pigeonholed idea fans and non-fans alike may have about hip hop.
Modern hip hop producers are allowed to creatively package aural input from any funky cranny of the universe, and good hip hop production continues to surprise with unique soundscapes. But, as much as I love great instrumental hip hop, the music alone can't quite do it. Beats alone are like seeing a fine female body part without the rest of the beautiful, intelligent, classy, confident, sexy woman attached.
To really get my neurons firing, a hip hop song has to come with tapestries of lyrical styles woven throughout the track, like some kind of sick, crazy, funky, extraterrestrial producer-emcee mind meld. Good music drips with truth…
8. Sep. 2007, 9:19 von funkitup07thes one
2. Mai. 2007, 18:41 von Wormwood37Support independent music!
Three-time Plug nominee KUCI 88.9fm in Orange County, CA is having its yearly fund drive through May 7. In exchange for 355 days a year of 24/7 commercial-free programming, we take ten days to ask listeners to join us in supporting independent music. If you’ve ever won free tickets on KUCI, call with a donation. If they’ve ever turned you onto a band, call with a donation. Hell. If they’ve ever played your band, donate. KUCI’s constant mission to bring underground music of all genres (rock, hiphop, metal, electronic, country, punk, zydeco, experimental, goth, world, etc.), as well as fresh and unique talk shows, needs listener support. Unlike other public stations, we operate on a modest budget, and do not need to reach astronomical donation amounts. Any amount is truly appreciated.
Please feel free to view the KUCI Fund Drive website for a list of previous talk show guests, and live bands. …
28. Mai. 2006, 1:52 von FidgitalFor those of you who wonder where it was that hip-hop lost its soul, for those of you who used to like rap but somehow lost interest in the early '90's, for those of you who wish there was more of a bridge between underground and accessible hip-hop, there is People Under The Stairs. I've been impressed with these guys since I first heard them in the late '90's, and their new album Stepfather (again, not yet in the last.fm database) is their best yet.
Based in LA, Double K and Thes One are both producers and MCs, displaying great talent in both disciplines. This is pretty rare in a genre dominated by the spotlight-hogging MC and his often-disposable DJ or mercenary producer in the background. These b-boys have a strong partnership seemingly based on the same kind of positivity that pervades their lyrics. They don't battle - they pump each other (and their audience) up up up.
If you don't know their sound, I would compare it to A Tribe Called Quest, Blackalicious and The Pharcyde. …