February 1, 2009- The Hold Steady- Hot Soft Light
- In an age where minimalism is in, The Hold Steady are the antithesis: loud, crunchy, arena-worthy rock, and I can imagine they would be incredible live.
February 2, 2009- Bonnie 'Prince' Billy- Another Day Full of Dread
- I can't believe I haven't heard this album until today. The songwriting is incredible, and it's supplanted by Will Oldham's beautiful, soft, distant vocals.
February 3, 2009- Animal Collective- Cuckoo Cuckoo
- A creepy, emotive masterpiece.
February 4, 2009- Bruce Springsteen- Spirit in the Night
- Classic Springsteen dramatic flair mixed with some smooth jazz-ish saxophone for perfection.
February 5, 2009- Animal Collective- Lion in a Coma
- One of the few songs that jumped out at me the first time I heard Merriweather, along with My Girls and Summertime Clothes. It's just digeridoo fun, with rapid-fire vocals that remind me of Water Curses and The Purple Bottle. BUT IT HAS A DIGERIDOO.