27. Okt. 2010, 16:08 von Shasolace
23. Okt. 2010, 13:19 von elephantpanda
24. Mai. 2010, 20:34 von ShasolaceSome names and dates are still under research
Aaliyah Dana Haughton (Aaliyah) - 1/16/1979 - 8/25/2001
Al Wilson - 6/19/1939 - 4/21/2008
Andrew Roy Gibb (Andy Gibb) - 3/5/1958 - 3/10/1988
Antoine "TCD" Lundy (Force MD's) - 2/3/1964 - 1/21/1998
Autry DeWalt Mixon (Jr. Walker & The All Stars) - 6/14/1931 - 11/23/1995
Baldemar Huerta (Freddy Fender) - 6/4/1937 - 10/14/2006
Barrence Eugene Carter (Barry White) - 9/12/1944 - 7/4/2003
Benjamin Orr (The Cars) - 8/9/1947 - 10/3/2000
Bernard Edwards (Chic) - 10/31/1952 - 4/18/1996
Bill Haley (Bill Haley And The Comets) - 7/6/1925 - 2/9/1981
Billy Henderson (The Spinners) - 8/9/1939 - 2/2/2007
Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - 6/3/1952 - 1/28/2008
Billy Stewart - 3/24/1937 - 1/17/1970
Harry Lillis Crosby (Bing Crosby) - 5/3/1903 - 10/14/1977
Robert George Pickett (Bobby "Boris" Pickett - 2/11/1938 - 4/25/2007
Bradley E. Delp (Boston) - 6/12/1951 - 3/9/2007
13. Feb. 2010, 6:55 von Batiste369
4. Dez. 2009, 22:29 von flaming_liberal
21. Nov. 2009, 14:55 von flaming_liberalProbably should have moved this to last.fm months ago when it was clear nobody else was interested. Anyway.
Ruth Brown - (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean
Genre: I would classify this as blues, but R&B also works ..
Similar: the people listed on her last.fm page I guess (this part of the post seems really useless on here), but I'm reminded of Betty Everett and oddly enough, Odetta.
25. Apr. 2009, 20:41 von e4groove1. electronic-lounge/acid jazz/Trip hop: Matthew Herbert, Alice Russell, Air, Moloko, Jimi Tenor, Thievery Corporation, Kruder & Dorfmeister, The Herbaliser, Zero 7, VFSix, Portishead, Morcheeba, Tricky, Slow Train Soul, Róisín Murphy, De-Phazz, Goldfrapp, Nicola Conte, Alif Tree, I Monster, Moby, The Quantic Soul Orchestra, Massive Attack, Hooverphonic, Bonobo, Moodorama, Mo' Horizons, Quantic, Pat Appleton
2. rock/alternative/indie: Beck, Radiohead, Coldplay, The Beatles, Jewel, U2, James, Ben Harper, G. Love & Special Sauce, Pearl Jam, PJ Harvey, Ian Brown, Alice in Chains, Feist, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Cat Power, Santana, Kyuss, David Byrne, John Lennon
3. politically-conscious hip-hop: Gorillaz, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Michael Franti & Spearhead, k-os, Common, Blackalicious, Gift Of Gab, DJ Shadow, Buck 65, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, Aesop Rock, Outkast, Andre 3000, Digable Planets, The Roots, RJD2, Cut Chemist, Lyrics Born…
12. Jul. 2008, 19:55 von Depa1969If you love music, you must watch this documentary about Ahmet Ertegun's life.
OK, maybe you are not directly aware of who Ahmet was. That may be acceptable, as this Turkish man is not necessarily such as a household name as the label he founded with his jazz enthusiast brother, Atlantic Records. By the way, Mr. Ertegun was also co-founder and Chairman of Cleveland's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.... And before posting this, read that also founder of NY's soccer team Cosmos...
That Atlantic house houses, among several others, names such as:
Big Joe Turner - check
Ray CharlesMess Around
Ben E. King
Producer Phil Spector
Rufus & Carla
Buffalo Springfield & Crosby, Stills & Nash
Rolling Stones; mainly Sticky Fingers & Exile on Main Street
22. Apr. 2008, 13:37 von ThadEnouf1922 - Born on this day, Jazz musician and bandleader Charles Mingus, died 5th January 1979 aged 56.
1936 - Born on this day, Glen Campbell, country singer, songwriter, actor, TV presenter. Worked as a session player with Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and The Beach Boys.
1937 - Born on this day, Jack Nitzche, producer, songwriter. Produced The Rolling Stones, Neil Young and The Walker Brothers. Co-wrote, 'Up Where We Belong' and 'Needles And Pins.' Died of a heart attack on 25th August 2000.
1939 - Born on this day, Simon Napier-Bell, UK manager of Wham! T Rex and Japan.
1944 - Born on this day, Drummer Howard Wyeth, Worked with Bob Dylan, Don McLean, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell. He died of a heart attack 27th March 1996.
1950 - Born on this day, Peter Frampton, guitar, vocals, The Herd, Humble Pie, & solo. Worked with David Bowie, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson.
1951 - Born on this day, Paul Carrack, keyboards, guitar, vocals, Ace, Squeeze, Mike And The Mechanics, and solo hits.
3. Mär. 2008, 23:31 von Alex_Stone91The History and Evolution of Rhythm and Blues
Rhythm and blues (also known as R&B or RnB) is a popular music genre combining jazz, gospel, and blues influences, first performed by African American artists.
In 1947, the term rhythm and blues was coined as a musical marketing term in the United States by Jerry Wexler of Billboard magazine.
It replaced the term race music (which originally came from within the black community, but was deemed offensive in the postwar world. In that year, Louis Jordan dominated the top five listings of the R&B charts with three songs, and two of the top five songs were based on the boogie-woogie rhythms that had come to prominence during the 1940s. Jordan's band, the Tymphany Five(formed in 1938), consisted of him on saxophone and vocals, along with musicians on trumpet, tenor saxophone, piano, bass and drums. Lawrence Cohn described the music as "grittier than his boogie-era jazz-tinged blues". …