15. Dez. 2009, 3:55 von VincentVanGogh
11. Okt. 2008, 11:35 von ellycopterSat 4 Oct – Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, I Heart Hiroshima
Whilst other kids his age were playing in the park and trading baseball cards, he was stirring up a legacy. He self-released his first full-length album at age 12 on what has evolved today into Saddle Creek Records, one of indie rock’s most respected labels. He had made three more records and taken part in four semi-successful bands, all before his 16th birthday.
It’s clear that Conor Oberst was no ordinary child, and now, over a decade down the track, he’s showing no signs of slowing down.
After riding on the wave of his critically acclaimed outfit Bright Eyes for the past few years (and picking up a horde of finally-someone-who-understands-me angsty teenage fans), he released an album under his own name again this year with new bandmates The Mystic Valley Band, and brought his tight collection of new songs to Australia – his first visit since 2005’s Bright Eyes tour.
13. Jul. 2008, 5:49 von jonathanlovattWhen browsing the iTunes Store, you sometimes come across those "Celebrity Playlists" where a prominent artist/band has published 10-12 of their favourite songs.
Now, I'm not a celebrity but I thought I'd give it a go and pick my favourite 12 songs. It's harder than it looks!
1) Drops of Jupiter by Train. I love this song, it's got a beautiful melody and gorgeous and poignant lyrics.
2) Crosses by José Gonzàlez. He rose to promimence a few years ago with the Sony Bravia TV ad. I like this track from his album, it's soft, chilled and catchy.
3) Sister Kate by The Ditty Bops. WOW! What a refreshing change! Fun, catchy with a great hook. I discovered this track and album from "Grey's Anatomy" and have been hooked. Totally refreshing and different!
4) Riga Girls by The Weepies. I love the whole of this album, but mostly this track because the sweet lyrics and charming melody.
5) I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper by Erika Eigen. A great summer-y track, it's got that wonderful vibe!
19. Dez. 2007, 16:54 von wilskilA Christmas mixed cd for my most favorite ever, Katrina Kelly. It really has nothing to do with Christmas, except that she and I are x-changing x-mas gifts today. Also, I took this as an opportunity to infiltrate her head with some instrumental music.
Also, the transition between tracks 7 and 8 is just killer.
1. Jens Lekman - Into Eternity
2. Paul Simon - Kodachrome
3. The Strokes - Hard to Explain
4. The Blow - Let's Play Boys Chase Girls
5. Ratatat - Seventeen Years
6. The Beach Boys - Do You Wanna Dance
7. The Shins - One by One All Day
8. Sunset Rubdown - Stadiums And Shrines II
9. Mouse on Mars - Sui Shop
10. Andrew Bird - Skin Is, My
11. The National - Karen
28. Mär. 2007, 3:44 von drewnew
10. Jan. 2007, 6:54 von Z_e_t_aI just listened to the "early release" :P of Sondre Lerche's latest album Phantom Punch. I was surprised to see a version of Johnny Johnny Ooh Ooh there (and then surprised not to see Hoisting The Flag since it's also a very beautiful song from Two Way Monologue Ep).
The version's called John, Let Me Go and I must say I prefer the old one. This one's also very nice, the guitar/voice only first part of the chorus is great, but the hole song just pales before the first version, an incredible sample of SL's "music power" (yeah, I just invented that).
About the album, I gotta say it was everything I expected to be (rockier, jollier, lighter and more upbeat than the other albums), maybe a little punkier. This may not be a great feature to me but it does make the spectre of genres and styles he plays wider, and that's always good when introducing him to new listeners. Only Tragic Mirror is hint a of the past.
I'll probably write more about the album when it's officially…
5. Okt. 2006, 2:45 von soniawesomePost your top fifteen bands/artists, the first song you heard of theirs, the song that made you fall in love, and your current favorite.
First: Salty Dog
Love: Rebels of the Sacred Heart
Current: Factory Girls (Feat. Lucinda Williams)
First: Barroom Hero
Love: Walk Away
Current: The Gauntlet
First: We Will Rock You
Love: We Will Rock You/ We Are the Champions
Current: Seven Seas of Rye
First: What I Got
Love: What I Got
Current: April 26, 1992
Current: Can't Come Quickly
First: I Love Myself Today or Lucky Ones
Love: I Love Myself Today
Current: The World Is Over
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Simon and Garfunkel
First: Mrs. Robinson
Current: The Only Living Boy In New York
Less Than Jake
First: Johnny Quest
Love: Johnny Quest
29. Apr. 2006, 11:21 von WiseOldUnicornSo, I post things like this on my other journal, but nobody ever replies, and y'know...what's the fun in that? So I figured I'd try it over here and see if anybody'll answer here. :D
Step 1: Open up whatever MP3 program you use and add every song in your collection.
Step 2: Put it on random.
Step 3: Pick your favorite lines from the first 20 songs that play.
Step 4: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from .
Step 5: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Step 6: DON'T GOOGLE THEM!
1. She lines her walls with every paper she can see
These words consume her but they never set her free
2. Have you ever wanted someone
You just couldn't have
Did you ever try so hard
That your world just fell apart
3. The sun is shining brightly after the rain
The land is green and full of life again
The sorrows wiped away now
4. And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do
5. You confessed your love