8. Sep. 2011, 9:03 von HiroakiP
30. Dez. 2009, 7:44 von CannibalCrepeThe new Isis is pretty fantastic. Saw that one coming. Sounds great on vinyl.
White Tomb is pretty great. I like that band.
Can't Maintain might be my favorite album of the year. Goddamn that was so good.
Blue Record is awesome. I don't fucking care what anyone says, that band has consistently put out great pieces of work. Saying they sound like radio rock is like saying Fugazi sounds like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. A bootleg of Baroness' performance at Roadburn from this year is floating around on the interwebs if you're interested. It's pretty great up until they start playingCoeur but then just suddenly kick into the end of "Rise" and finish. If they did that and I was seeing them live I would just flip.
Between the Buried and Me put out another record which I forgot to listen to. I bet it's good.
*EDIT* --Oh dang, this album came out in 2008. I got it this past year and I was going by the year it had been tagged with in my library. Yeah, whoops. Still recommended.
20. Nov. 2009, 19:18 von Teh_Whittemore
15. Jan. 2009, 13:33 von kordynAlternative Rock/Metal:
Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire (184)
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone (95)
Mudvayne - The New Game (66)
Head - Save Me From Myself (62)
Scars on Broadway - Scars On Broadway (144)
Disturbed - Indestructible (126)
Cradle of Filth - Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder (67)
Moonspell - Night Eternal (67)
Tiamat - Amanethes (216)
Draconian - Turning Season Within (70)
Within Temptation - Black Symphony (115)
End of You - Mimesis (39)
Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity (64)
Opeth - Watershed (150)
Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom (102)
Virgin Snatch - Act of Grace (54)
Children Of Bodm - Blooddrunk (108)
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose (145)
Rock & others:
Northern Kings - Rethroned (22)
3. Jan. 2009, 23:24 von jamakazu
30. Dez. 2008, 16:52 von Phoenix-5The year 2008 was one that brought darkness, despair, and quite frankly a few great albums and some that were far sub par to what I would have expected from some musicians.
Honorable Mention Albums
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Infinitum - Behold Eradication
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Opeth - Watershed
Ihsahn - angL
Mercenary - Architect Of Lies
Top 10 Albums
10. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
9. Murder by Death - Red Of Tooth And Claw
8. Sculptured - Embodiment
7. Before the Dawn - Soundscape Of Silence
6. Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living
5. Dark Suns - Grave Human Genuine
4. Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
3. Moonspell - Night Eternal
2. Woods of Ypres - Woods III: Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues
1. Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo
Year of the EP
Agalloch - The White
Swallow the Sun - Plague of Butterflies
Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity
Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
Top Songs of the Year
25. Dez. 2008, 20:25 von Omega_Switch22BThis is yet another installment in my seemingly endless array of journals that are devoid of creativity or originality (maybe someday I'll break this chain). Nevertheless, this is a list of my top 50 metal albums of this year. I decided to make this in place of the even more typical Albums of the Year list- which will be coming soon, mind you-, as I've decided to wait to compile that. I'd like to listen to some more albums and re-listen to some albums I haven't listened to in a while, so in place of the big list, I'm settling with sticking to the genre of metal for now. This list is ordered purely by subjective preference, and the order shown here will most likely be a bit different than these albums will be on the upcoming Albums of the Year list.
This list is weighed more towards black metal, simply because I've listened to more black metal than most other metal sub-genres, and because I think this was a great year for black metal. I'm disappointed with the number of death and- near complete lack of- thrash metal albums here…
18. Dez. 2008, 15:20 von Juhoj
11. Okt. 2008, 21:16 von ToolsAndCorpsesThe number of exceptionally great albums released over the past three years has taken a heavy decline, especially this year. With all the terrible things happening this year, like my graduation, Hurricane Ike, the loss of my long beloved cat Bessie, and the reformation of New Kids On the Block, I was hoping there would be lots of good music for balance. So far, I haven't found much and the year is almost over.
Here, my friends, is a list I've compiled of every album that's come out this year that I've taken the time to listen to, divided into four groups, two positive and two negative: the excellent, the enjoyable, the unimpressive, and the crap.
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Opeth - Watershed
Portishead - Third
These Arms Are Snakes - Tail Swallower & Dove
These Arms Are Snakes / Tropics split 7"
Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
Animal Style - Open Air
8. Okt. 2008, 0:56 von gunleikExample:
Genre (Additional genre)
- Band - Album (EP/split/itunes)
(town, country: if there're several bands with same name / former band name: if they've changed it)
- Sevendust - Chapter VII:Hope & Sorrow (Allmusic 3/5; Bullz-Eye.com 4/5)
- Kekal - Audible Minority
- A Forest of Stars - The Corpse of Rebirth
- Aisling - Stone of Light
- Besatt - Diabolic Altar (EP)
- Cor Scorpii - Monument
- Darkspace - Darkspace III
- Darkthrone - Dark Thrones and Black Flags
- Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle
- Koldbrann - Stigma: På Kant Med Livet (EP)
- Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
- Nortt - Galgenfrist
- Paragon Belial - Nosferathu Sathanis
- Paysage d'Hiver - Schnee
- Satyricon - The Age of Nero
- Stormlord - Mare Nostrum
- Taake - Taake
- Woods of Ypres - Woods 3
Black metal (Depressive)