28. Nov. 2008, 0:24 von RocketShipX41
10. Aug. 2007, 1:02 von RocketShipX41China: Faye Wong, Cold Fairyland (冷酷仙境)
England: XTC, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, The Beatles, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull. Gentle Giant, Richard Thompson, Genesis, Brian Eno, Porcupine Tree, Strawbs, Peter Hammill, Steeleye Span, Squeeze, Joe Jackson, Jade Warrior, Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Moody Blues, Richard & Linda Thompson
Australia/New Zealand: Split Enz
Japan: Yoko Kanno, The Pillows, PUFFY
US: Death Cab for Cutie, Tori Amos, The Walkabouts, Wendy Carlos, Happy the Man, Modest Mouse, Emily Bezar, The Green Pajamas, Funkadelic, Miles Davis
Mexico: Cafe Tacuba, Cabezas de Cera
Senegal: Youssou N'Dour
Norway: Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist
Wales: Super Furry Animals
Italy: Banco De Mutuo Soccorso
Various/mixed: King Crimson (started in England, plus US members later), Gong
Maybe later I'll think of some comments and observations about this. …
5. Jun. 2007, 5:37 von candohi truly am impressed with 冷酷仙境's (Cold Fairyland) new album 地上的种子 (Seeds on the Ground). Lin Di's vocals are lovely and it seems to feature more pipa and cello at the forefront than their previous work did, which i really enjoy because i have a huge crush on not only the pipa but just about any classical stringed instrument.
you can listen to their new album and buy it from either their myspace, or their website.
13. Feb. 2007, 19:58 von Azchaelhttp://web125.burns.kundenserver42.de/rockinchina/wiki/images/Coldfairyland.JPG
Cold Fairyland (冷酷仙境), a Shanghai music group, is one of the most creative and skilled progressive rock bands in China. Their style combines Eastern melodies and rhythms with Western symphonic rock. While the fusion part is relatively easy to describe the music itself is not. Combining riffs that are in 7/8 or 13/8 and often layered to be played with different instruments simultaniously might make one to think the end result is a chaos, but the music is still entertaining and solid. Their music has influences from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, early Genesis, Björk, Wong Faye and Dou Wei.
CFL was established 2001 by Lin Di and bassist Su Yong. The name Cold Fairyland comes from a Chinese translation of one of Haruki Murakami's books (known in English as "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World") favored by Lin Di and reflects the sometimes dark tones of their music.
23. Nov. 2006, 15:47 von RocketShipX41Well, I've been here a few weeks now, but I've been busy getting set up and haven'thad a lot of time to check out Chinese music. What I've found so far is...
王娟 (Wang Juan) a female singer-writer, apparently based here in Beijing. The album I found (In Distance in English) is all acoustic guitar and voice. She's got a very nice voice, and the guitar work is nice, though I'm not 100% sure it's her playing - she could have help.
冷酷仙境 (Lěngkù Xiānjìng or Cold Fairyland in English) is a very interesting band. In many ways, they are exactly what I hoped to find here: a band that successfully combined tradtional Chinese music with intelligent rock. The tricky part is the word "successfully" of course, and most of the time I think this Shanghai band pulls it off. They have a number of tunes available for free at their website: here.
I've seen a few videos that weren't bad on the V network here, but don't know what the artists are, since I don't read Chinese.
8. Okt. 2006, 11:15 von candoh