suggestions for artist connections/recommendations

• jefster schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 9. Okt. 2008, 10:58

suggestions for artist connections/recommendations

Here are some artists i think should be connected to the group. I mostly listen to jazz which crosses over to hip hop or different kinds of electronic music.

El-P and The Blue Series Continuum

Matthew Shipp

William Parker

Yesterday's New Quintet

9 Lazy 9
    i see funki porcini is already connected, this is another project of james braddel. their album
    Sweet Jones must be one of my favorite ninja tune releases ever

Flanger
    their Album Templates should be considered a classic of "future jazz" (if such a genre exists)

Biosphere is actually an Ambient/electronic Artist, but his Album Dropsonde is beautiful Ambient Jazz

these are my first considerations, i'll post more when i can think of more :-)

• Nicast schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Okt. 2008, 19:05
    Aaron Parks is a wonderful pianist. He's only 24 but shows great sensitiveness and technical skills. Maybe in time, he will comfort us for the loss of Esbjörn Svensson.

• thx for your suggestions.

El-P and The Blue Series Continuum is not streamable.

i added Matthew Shipp and Yesterday's New Quintet to this group.

Aaron Parks and William Parker are added to the j a z z | h a u s which purpose is featuring new talent in jazz.

9 Lazy 9 are added to the L O U N G E.

Flanger have already been connected to the group borderline jazz.

Biosphere does the music for the AiRport. but Dropsonde is great to get a special feature in our group. it's in my queue.

jazz is a broad experience which doesn't fit in one last.fm group, that's why i run a bunch of them - connected by The Mothership of Jazz.

• Another possible connection

Elio Villafranca
    I am in the process to update his profile on last.fm
    Meanwhile his website is http://www.eliovillafranca.net/

• thx for Elio Villafranca, he is not streamed on last.fm, so an artist connection doesn't make much sense for the group. from his website i could recognize that he plays straight ahead latin-infused jazz in hardbop style. this isn't what this group (future of jazz) is all about, but he would perfectly fit in the j a z z | h a u s, where i'd love to feature him via his website streams.

• dadapapa schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Dez. 2008, 23:48

Mark O'Leary

Mark O'Leary: "In a flurry of activity starting in 2004, the guitarist has established his name in the jazz scene. Make that in the several jazz scenes, and even beyond jazz’s invisible frontiers. Mark O’Leary’s astonishing capacity for work has resulted in vital record releases and countless encounters with the top musicians active in creative music."

• thx, connected

• I'm wondering if you're familiar with the music of Dapp Theory. They've got a 2008 release called Layers of Chance, which I think is terrific. A prior release, Y'All Just Don't Know, is very different, but awesome. The leader, pianist Andy Milne, hung around the m-base scene for a while, and was one of Steve Coleman's Five Elements for a number of years.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Dez. 2008, 5:55
    Vijay Iyer. I feel that his playing is informed by hiphop (and minimalism) yet still "jazz" (whatever that is).

• Dapp Theory is connected to this group since september :)

Vijay Iyer is since then connected to the j a z z | h a u s

• Benutzer
    • 26. Dez. 2008, 9:48
    Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid
    Tortoise
    Isotope 217
    Shining - not the black metal band (Grindstone)
    Chicago Underground Duo\Trio\Quartet\Orchestra
    Robert Miles & Trilok Gurtu
    Craig Taborn
    David Torn - especially the Prezens album
    Zu
    Tigersmilk
    Sao Paulo Underground
    Tim Berne - Science Friction is more than just another free jazz album. some of the songs was inspired by the glitch and ambient scenes

• cool suggestions, added to our brandnew artist compilation radio (the library robot)

• Benutzer
    • 19. Jan. 2009, 14:45
    Supersilent

Arve Henriksen

• oh, both are since long been connected to the group.

• Benutzer
    • 20. Jan. 2009, 14:26
    my mistake...but after checking the connected artists... didn't see the following..

Nicola Conte

Exploding Star Orchestra

Cloroform

• thx, connected. unfortunately, Exploding Star Orchestra is not streamed.

Nicola Conte, i consider him at the loungey edge of a kind of acid jazz and am resisting to add him here. but he is since long been connected to another cool group of mine : the L O U N G E.

• Nublu Orchestra is really great, but unfortunately not streamable.

Also very nice is The Roger Tubesound Ensemble.

And a recent discovery - very impressive: Frode Haltli.

• Phisic schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 31. Jan. 2009, 18:18
    Black Engine - dark music influenced by jazz, electronic and noise rock. rather original sound

• This is a wonderful group but I am wondering why there are no artists from the "new wave" of British Jazz? Bands like Acoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear, Fulborn Teversham and Led Bib are all doing interesting stuff I think?

Also from the last "new wave of British Jazz", I think they have one every decade ;-) What about Courtney Pine and Denys Baptiste? Courtney Pine is getting a bit main stream these days but I think Modern Day Jazz Stories still sounds fresh and sparkly?

That's more than enough!
  • thx for all the suggestions, have been connected and are streamed on our artist radio.

• pppr schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Mai. 2009, 21:17
    I'd definitely connect Nik Bärtsch's Ronin, Nik Bärtsch's Mobile as well as Don Li.

• I didn't found Tim Berne on the list. Maybe i`m blind but anyways if he isnt there you should add him immediately. He`s brilliant.

@Nicast
    Hey man , thanks for the recommendation. I`m really grateful. I haven't heard such great record since i discovered Vandermark 5 about 6 months ago. Everybody should go and buy his record.

• MauzFakha schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Feb. 2010, 2:02
  • Peter Brötzmann / Paal Nilssen-Love / Ken Vandermark / Mats Gustafsson, and all their groups and works.

• The secret to happiness is to have a unicorn wife.

Seize the fuck out of the day.
Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.