Richie Havens

• Teije schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Dez. 2005, 20:37

Richie Havens

Richie Havens opened Woodstock with a couple of wonderfull, Bob Dylan-like guitar-songs. Although, no-one knows him anymore.

I think Havens makes awfull songs. Especially 'Handsome Johnny' and his version of 'Lady Madonna are really cool. Is there anyone here who listens to Richie Havens.

• did you mean awful, as in good?

I listen to richie havens

saw him in concert last july...in...yup you guessed it, woodstock.

• Teije schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Dez. 2005, 7:37
    I ment awsome :')

But how did he play, live?

• Flemming schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Dez. 2005, 10:03

Re: Richie Havens

Quoth Teije:
    Richie Havens opened Woodstock with a couple of wonderfull, Bob Dylan-like guitar-songs. Although, no-one knows him anymore.

I think Havens makes awfull songs. Especially 'Handsome Johnny' and his version of 'Lady Madonna are really cool. Is there anyone here who listens to Richie Havens.

I listen to Richie also i i'll never forget his "role" in the Dylan movie Renaldo & Clara.He is an true musician( remember the "Bob fest").
    Good luck with the Woodtock group!

• hehe, awesome awful, its udnerstandable :D

it was wonderful, still with so much feeling, my parents said it wasn't up to '69 fest standards, but i thought it was great :D

• Teije schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Dez. 2005, 20:53

Re: Re: Richie Havens

Quoth Flemming:
    Quoth Teije:

I listen to Richie also i i'll never forget his "role" in the Dylan movie Renaldo & Clara.He is an true musician( remember the "Bob fest").
    Good luck with the Woodtock group!

I've never seen that movie, but I'm very curious. I think I'm gonna buy it. What is the role of Havens in that movie?

By the way... awesome :P

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Jan. 2006, 12:01
    Yes, awesome.. :)))

I was very impressed by Richie Havens when I saw the Woodstock documentary. With his exotic clothing, groovy appearance and amazing singing and playing skills he somehow managed to express all hippiedom stood for.. Or at least I felt it that way :) I've been trying very hardly to find more of his songs ever since, but in Bulgaria it ain't that easy - if you go to a music shop and ask for Richie Havens noone will understand what you're talking about. Anyway, I've somehow managed to get my hands on some songs by Havens and they all are up to my expectations - he is undoubtedly a wonderful musician! The cover version of Here Comes the Sun is particularly good..

• I love Richie Havens, although I'm not very fond of his early 80s material... the "Sings Beatles and Dylan" record, I think? But I think he must be brilliant live, his gorgeous guitar work, and his modest soul, he's beautiful.

• Maruki schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Mär. 2007, 11:07
    I don't much about this artist, just seen him on movie about Woodstock. I love his song "Freedom". His guitar, voice, drums mix beautifully.

Do androids Dream of Electric sheep ?
    • catacombs schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Mär. 2007, 10:38
    love havens appearance @ woodstock. Hes better while playing live imo

• moneen02 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Mär. 2007, 14:28
    I think a lot of people like Havens, but since he isn't releasing mainstream stuff younger folks don't hear his music. I wouldn't say any artist who played at Woodstock or was around in the later 60s has gone anywhere... They just need more new fans. Havens still tours all the time in the US.

• Benutzer
    • 13. Jul. 2007, 23:29
    I knew Richie with the Woodstock's movie, and I loved his beautiful song 'Freedom' . I started to listen some of his LP's and i liked them. The last January I went to his concert in London at the Jazz Café in Camden Town. It was fantastic especially for the energy he gives to the audience; in the end he played 'Freedom' and I almost cried.

• he played in my town a while ago it was awsome

• Benutzer
    • 5. Sep. 2007, 1:48
    I'd like to recommend his last CD called "Grace of the Sun", it's a great record... obviusly i also heard him for the fist time in the woodstock dvd.

• Benutzer
    • 20. Okt. 2007, 18:39
    "Freedom" is awesome.I was very impressed when saw it in woodstock film.Fantastic cry from the heart.

• Huskyteer schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Feb. 2008, 14:08
    I saw Richie Havens perform at the Jazz Cafe in Camden on Friday night. He was fantastic! Here's my review.

• Alseri schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 20. Okt. 2008, 9:59
    Huskyteer, thank´s for the review. I´m the "music collector" of Woodstock performers too :o)) But I saw "only" gigs of Joe Cocker and Joan Baez. Two years before I wanted to go to Italy where was the Richie Havens concert, but I missed it. Big loss, ´cause I don´t know a lot of his new stuff.

About Woodstock....I was mainly impressed with fact that firstly he should not to perform.

• jeseaka schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Feb. 2010, 6:29
    'awful' threw me off man, haha. yeah richie's music is magic. and discovering that 'freedom' was improvised, made up on the spot at woodstock, just blowwws me away!

• The67KC schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 8. Mär. 2011, 14:04
    The few times I listened his songs was on the woodstock videos and it amazed me =D

I was impressed with his performance.. Too much emotion and feeling, that guy is magic =)

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.