When did you get to know Genesis - and how?

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 2. Apr. 2006, 3:39

When did you get to know Genesis - and how?

Hi,

here you can post your (hi)story with Genesis. I'll make the start:

I got to know Genesis in 1973. I was young and wanted to buy my first own record. My father was into classical music and more or less hated all other kind of music. I went with my brother to a shop and discovered the record "Genesis live". it looked interesitng, and my brother said, I could buy that would be good music. I trusted him, and never regretted.
    I wasn't old enough to visit concerts then, that's what I really regretted. My first concert with Genesis was in 1976 (A Trick Of The Tail), and little later I visited a concert with Peter Gabriel (his first album). Then he sang still a few Genesis songs. That was cool. And since then Genesis has been my favourite group.

• Knars schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 2. Apr. 2006, 10:05
    WhenI was twelve, We can't Dance ha just been released. I got to know them by their songs on the radio and their fantastic clips on tv (allthough I've never liked Hold on my Heart).

my history of buying Genesis stuff:
    I bought the cassette and barely listened to something else during the summer holiday of '92 - it was my soundtrack for long car journeys throughout France, where Dreaming while you sleep soon became one of my favourite songs. Through a televised concert late 1992, I believe recorded somwehere in Surrey during the We can't Dance tour, i got to know their other trademark songs of the PC era and of course the "Old Medley" which was a great introduction to their older stuff. After I bought the cds or cassettes of th The way we walk albums, i bought Invisible Touch and Genesis (Mama) and then i jumped back in time with Foxtrot and Duke on cd, and the further into the seventies with Genesis Live and Nursery Cryme. Then came Seconds Out, And then there were Three & A Trik of the Tail (conventional records I bought at a great second hand store) and Trespass for a bargain somewhere in a Techno muic store in Köln during a school trip (instead of going to yet another museum).

By the time i bought The Lamb on vinyl, our record player broke down so I had a friend convert it to cassette. This resulted in a warped version of the Lamb as he changed the order of the record sides - maybe that is why i had some trouble getting into it ;-) Strangely enough, Selling England was one of the last albums i got to lay my hands on! Oh well, save the best for last.

Build me a mountain that I may see the sky
  • For me, it was in 2001, when an aquaintance of mine lent me a few CDs. Among them were two Iona albums (Book of Kells and Journey into the Morn) and Selling England by the Pound. I listened to Selling England while I was learning for some exam, so it was just background music. But everytime the album stopped, I hit play again. And with every time listening to it, I discovered one more detail I liked, which I would notice and recognize every time it came around again. Of course, I immediately fell in love with Firth of Fifth for its mind-blowing piano intro which is further in the song repeated by the synth with the underlying trill - superb. I then began to discover the whole album, and I still think it's the best Genesis album to begin listening to their music.
    Then I bought Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail, Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Live, The Lamb lies down on Broadway and Wind and Wuthering, of which I like The Lamb... least, but maybe just because I don't know it well enough yet. A friend of mine gave me the Invisible Touch album and said I could keep it. So that's all I own by Genesis at that time, and I think they're the essentials - I don't know if there are any albums worth buying (maybe 'And then there were Three').

• Benutzer
    • 4. Apr. 2006, 17:48

Re:

Quoth lineinthesand:
    So that's all I own by Genesis at that time, and I think they're the essentials - I don't know if there are any albums worth buying ...

O oohh, you shouldn't have said that. There are of course many albums worth buying. On each of the ones you don't have is at least one song which is mind blowing, and that's already worth spending the money. "Calling All Stations" may be the only exception to this rule, but there still the others might disagree...

• Knars schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Apr. 2006, 18:39

Re: Re:

Quoth DrMartinus:
    "Calling All Stations" may be the only exception to this rule, but there still the others might disagree...

Indeed! I, for example, am one who would disagree with you on that ;-) Just listen to the title track of CAS - it's fantastic! Try to get your hands on a copy of the 'Not about us' cd maxi, it features some fantastic non album tracks like Anything Now.

Build me a mountain that I may see the sky
    • olorwen schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Apr. 2006, 20:43
    Genesis was my first venture into progressive rock, and really my first venture into good music at all- I'd previously been an MTV kid, NSYNC fan and all. Around when I was 11 or 12, my brother started getting into later Genesis. He'd enjoyed the Tarzan soundtrack and realized that Phil Collins had had a band. He started playing Genesis nonstop in his car when we went to and from school (usually more than an hour every day) and eventually I stopped hating and started loving it. A few months after my brother discovered later Genesis, he discovered the Gabriel era. He lent me The Lamb, and it changed how I listened to all music. (Also how I became the lone prog fan in my school for far too long!)

Genesis also helped me get into a ton of other bands, as well. They were my favorite band for quite a while, though my brother occasionally hinted of this "terrible Genesis ripoff" now and again, and played a few songs, one of which sounded so much like Apocalypse in 9/8, and another which I swear was going to go into Dancing With The Moonlit Knight. And then we realized they had another singer, and my music world was changed once again! After that it took me so long to get into Fish era Marillion.

So now, Genesis is still super high on my list of musical loves (2nd place, really). If they reunited, on the other hand... :D

But you sleep like a ghost with me.
    It's as simple as that.

So tell me I'm mad.
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Apr. 2006, 4:29

Re:

Quoth olorwen:
    I became the lone prog fan in my school for far too long!

Poor you... :-) But you have good company here, so enjoy it and know that prog rock lovers are intelligent people, which is definitely a positive label. You just leave all the rest behind...

• Benutzer
    • 13. Apr. 2006, 16:24
    My story:
    In October 2004(or so), a friend of mine lent me the Angra cd "Hunters And Prey"( for those who don't know Angra, it's a Brazilian metal band).
    In this cd, Angra covers Mama(I have just posted in the topic about covers...I forgot to put Angra's there... :( ), and the result is good.
    I got to know that Mama was a Genesis song, so I decided to go look for more Genesis songs.For coincidence, in the day I decided to do that, a Brazilian TV showed the Invisible Touch Live Show, and I fell in love with the band.I then bought the "Turn It On Again-The Hits" here in my city(Feira de Santana, Brazil), in a supermarket.
    Once browsing Orkut's Radiohead community, I got to know about ProgArchives website,which I liked and still like very much. There I found more information about Genesis, and downloaded "Watcher Of The Skies", which introduced me to the Gabriel Era.
    The mania caught on, and from that time to now, I have already downloaded the entire discography of the band, and videos, etc.

• Let me take you back in time to 3 years ago. It all started when I was 14 years old and sitting in a car behind Blockbuster.

In 2004 I became a dedicated and loyal fan of Peter Gabriel from hearding the song In Your Eyes on the radio (in the car, behind Blockbuster).

2005 I discovered the singer Phil Collins (also from the radio) and bought a CD of his and listened to it for a while; He became my second favorite singer.

Bout a month later, I wanted to learn more about my fav singer PG. I went on Wikipedia, typed "Peter Gabriel" in the little search bar, and read that he had once been in a band with PC called Genesis. Now how often do you discover that 2 of your most favorite singers were in the same band together?! For me that was really cool! So I wished to learn more about this band called Genesis.

I went out and bought the book Genesis: Turn it on Again, and the CD Genesis: Turn it on Again: The Hits. Reading/listeneing to that I discovered the PC era of Genesis, and I enjoyed that.

Early in the year of 2006, my aunt bought me the book the Secert Life of PG (I love you Auntie!). And while reading that, I fineally discovered the PG era of Genesis. Courious of how the PG era compred to the PC era of Genesis, I bought the CD Foxtrot in February, and I cannot get tired of listening to it!

And that is where I am today in the world of Genesis.

A line is a dot that went for a walk
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Apr. 2006, 8:26
    You've come on the right track, but there's still a lot to discover! What a considerate aunt you have! But maybe she is also a PG fan?

• RonB schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 18. Apr. 2006, 4:12
    For me it all started in 2001 during a short work period of three months for school. A collegue brought A Trick Of The Tail and Duke and I gave it a listen that day at work and instantly liked it. From that point it went pretty fast: within two months I nearly bought all albums, incl the box sets and even the PG solo stuff. I am now still hooked and still amazed when I hear their music. The early stuff is the best for me, although the PC stuff is great as well (mostly till Genesis '83).

• retuow schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Mai. 2006, 18:18
    I only got to know them last summer, when on holiday in London... I bought the Q Classic entitled Pink Floyd & The Story Of Prog Rock (I'm a big PF fan as well).

Genesis' Foxtrot album was 2nd in the Top 40 of best progrock albums, after Dark Side Of The Moon. Curious by this I bought Foxtrot and was pleasantly surprised! I only knew some songs from listening to the radio, and I always found (and still find) them rather bad...

Now I've got all Genesis albums from From Genesis To Revelations to Seconds Out and heard some of their later work, but wasn't impressed (at all).

That's my Genesis story up to the present. My current musical addiction however, is Peter Hammill...

• Benutzer
    • 4. Mai. 2006, 11:45
    Do you mean you are not impressed by the later music (after the Peter Gabriel era), or by any of the albums you bought?

• retuow schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Mai. 2006, 17:21

Re:

Quoth DrMartinus:
    Do you mean you are not impressed by the later music (after the Peter Gabriel era), or by any of the albums you bought?

I wasn't (and am still) not impressed by their later albums (I've only heard We Can't Dance, Abacab and Calling All Stations). I'm very impressed by early Genesis and especially the Gabriel era (except for From Genesis To Revelations, which I don't particularly like). The post-Gabriel albums A Trick Of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out are also brilliant.

But that's where my Genesis collection currently ends. One day, if I have the necessary funds, I'll delve deeper into Genesis. But I'm happy with my current collection...

Hope this lightens things up for you.

• Benutzer
    • 5. Mai. 2006, 20:36
    Yes, it does. Thanks!

• skaaarse schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 12. Mai. 2006, 15:25
    I was 19, living in an internate-scool... 1983 I knew Genesis Shotly frome before, but was not hookced.. Another student introduced me mostly too the mid-era, with early Collins... And I was Hooked. We stayed up all night playing these records, and it was magic...Spesially I felt in lowe with And Then There Where Three.. Later I have developed my taste, and discovered Gabriel era...But For me there are no one over Genesis ALSO much of the after-Gabriel stuff. GENESIS came out this year 84? , and I was Thrilled by MAMA and HOME BY THE SEA

Life keep smiling too the good father
  • Back in 1971, When I was 11, there was an "underground" FM radio station in Philadelphia, WMMR. Listed then as playing rock and folk. Imagine a radio station that would play both Phil Ochs and Black Sabbath. To get a feel for what it was like, watch Johnny Fever on "WKRP". The station had no program director, the DJs played what they liked. Led Zeppelin, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Renaissance, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jethro Tull, Arlo Guthrie, Emerson, Lake and Palmer. You get the idea.
    A radio station that played Musical Box and Return of the Giant Hogweed. They played Get 'Em out by Friday, Watcher of the Skies and, yes, even Supper's Ready when Foxtrot came out.
    I can't remember who the DJs were, but I never forget my friend for turning me on to such an awesome station.

I would never recommend drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone—but they’ve always worked for me
    • hmf_x5 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Jun. 2006, 8:22
    For me it all started with "Invisible Touch". At this time I was only 14 and my interest for "Rock" had just begun: Stuff like Dire Straits, Springsteen..80'ies stuff..
    I then discovered the prog side of live with Pink Floyd's The Wall and became a huge Floyd Fan. And then it happened. A friend borrowed me his Nursery Cryme LP (what great LP-Cover !!). I started listening to this LP with headphones in a darkened room for hours ! I subsequently bought all of their early records on CD (those early CDs with the bad, bad cover art work). From the Gabriel-Era I like most: Nursery Cryme, Selling England and Tresspass (I still think it's grossly underrated) and of course Foxtrott. "The lamb", I find a bit too "pretentious" and sometimes even a bit boring, I must confess. From the Collins era I liked most of the albums ok, but I still really love "Duke" (I have to add, that I *hate* Phil Collins' solo stuff. I *like* Peter Gabriel-Solo, especially the first LP, but I am not really a PG-fan) I also listened to some other prog stuff (King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Marillion) for a while but moved on to 70'ies Hard Rock (Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and stuff) and 60'ies Psychadelic (the Doors etc.) and some Punk (especially: The Clash). In the 90'ies I discovered all sorts of "alternative" and independent music (from Nick Cave to the Pixies and all the Grundge bands). But over all these "moves" I didn't abandon my "old" favourites. Now I listen to relatively new stuff (90'ies Indie like Built to spill and Pavement, great new Rock Bands like Queens of the Stone Age and The White Stripes etc.) and other great new bands like The Arctic Monkeys, The Zutons, Grandaddy, The Raconteurs). I also like some "neo-prog" bands like Tool, Porcupine Tree and of course Muse and - maybe you could call them a progressive: The great weirdoes of The Flaming Lips (on the new CD there's a song called "Pompeii at Götterdämmerung", a truly strange song, reminding of early Pink Floyd (hence the title, I guess). At the moment I listen to "Wind and wuthering", tough ;)
    Wow, the story of my musical discoveries in one post...
    What's left to say: I really like the idea of last.fm and I really, really think it's great to have a group about Genesis, especially the early Genesis. I don't know too many people who like or even know the early Genesis albums.

• danisos schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Jul. 2006, 14:30
    I have the advantage of having a "Genesis-crazy" dad! ;-)
    And I don't regret having such a dad :D

• Lynf schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Jul. 2006, 16:01

When I was a Little Girl...

I heard A Trick Of The Tail at a friends house, I was prolly 13 or 14 at the time, and I just thought "That's what a record player is for!"

So I rushed out and bought a copy, then I worked my way backwards thru' the catalogue, and kept up ever since, with the exception of Three Sides Live, and Calling All Stations.

• It must be with the song "land of confusion" and its ridiculous videoclip, when I was looking at the "top 50" (french charts) on TV being a little boy ! Perhaps I had heard the song Mama too, but I can't remember exactly, it's already a long time !

Then my brother bought the entire discography and I realized how incredible this band had been before turning into a commercial act. Not to say I dislike the collins era, but it's not "godly" music as it had been with Gabriel (I'm sure you'll understand) !

• It's great to see all these younger people discovering Genesis within the last decade. Comforting to know that this wonderful music isn't just sitting on the shelf getting dusty.

The dates are not entirely clear in my cobwebby old brain, but judging from the album release dates, it must have been December 1973, when I was 12, that my older brother and I journeyed to a distant "cool" record store/head shop to buy the newly-released Selling England by the Pound, which my brother's music-literate buddy had told him was cool. We both loved the album immediately, so much in fact that, when Christmas came a few weeks later, my brother and I were both surprised to find that we had each bought more Genesis albums for the other as gifts! My sisters had been worried that we had bought the same albums for each other but it worked out okay. Our local record store was not big enough to stock multiple copies of non-mainstream artists like Genesis, so when he had visited the store first, he bought Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Live for me; when I went to the same store shortly after his visit, all that was left for me to buy was their remaining catalog to date: From Genesis to Revelation and Foxtrot.

At the time, my bedroom was in a finished basement room, and I listened to those albums on headphones while falling asleep, night after night. Also mixed in were other prog albums like Floyd's Meddle and Yes' Close to the Edge. All that great music playing in my headphones after I'd fallen asleep inspired many wild dreams, some I still remember vividly. Like the time I woke in terror during the slow section in Meddle's track "Echoes," the part with the slow wailing ghost synths and screeching gulls. It was pitch black in that basement, the light switch was across the room, and I was too frightened to get out of bed to shut off the record player. :)

I eventually stopped buying Genesis albums after Gabriel left; it wasn't the same anymore, although I loved Trick of the Tail and would probably call it the band's musically best album. (Entangled is probably my all-time favorite song; toss-up between that and LZ's Black Dog -- 2 sides of a coin, eh?) I find the Invisible Touch album annoying, and everything after that boring, a pale reflection of their glory days of the 70s and early 80s. But we all have our own taste.

Finally saw Peter Gabriel live in Indianapolis at the end of the 2003 tour, and have the official release cd of the show. I wouldn't give two cents to see Phil Collins live, sorry. Unless he was playing drums behind PG...

Alone, adj. In bad company -- The Devil's Dictionary, A. Bierce
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Aug. 2006, 7:07
    flagellant said:
    Finally saw Peter Gabriel live in Indianapolis at the end of the 2003 tour, and have the official release cd of the show. I wouldn't give two cents to see Phil Collins live, sorry. Unless he was playing drums behind PG...

Oh, I can understand that fully. Even though I visited a number of Genesis concerts with Phil Collins, starting from 1976/77, but that's a different thing. I didn't have a chance to visit a Genesis concert with PG, so I had to go to the other concerts. But I also visitied PG concerts of course.

PC on drums behind PG - that would be cool... ;-)

• DrMartinus said:
    PC on drums behind PG - that would be cool... ;-)

Wasn't PC on drums in the later stages of the PG era? I thougt that Chester Tompson became A drummer in Genesis when PC took over from PG, and that CT just filled the gaps when PC wasnt drumming, execpt Drum Duet from the Way We Walk Concert 1982....... when both PC and CT were drumming at the same time......

Mr. Niceguy (Chris)
  • Chris, Genesis went through three drummers before Collins joined, starting with the Nursery Cryme album. I'm sure Phil played on various tracks on some of Gabriel's solo albums, but I didn't follow post-Gabriel Genesis to know who was playing what and when.

I'm not knocking Phil, really; from every interview I've seen, he seems to be a pretty cool guy. I just don't care for the direction his music went in his solo career, when contrasted to Gabriel's. (and even with Gabriel, I mostly like just the pre-So stuff, with his #3 solo album, the one where he "melts" on the cover, as my favorite)

Alone, adj. In bad company -- The Devil's Dictionary, A. Bierce
Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.