New Townes Covers

• New Townes Covers

Heard any new covers of Townes Van Zandt songs? The new album by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Raising Sand, Features a cover of "Nothin'", originally on Delta Momma Blues.

• Finally listened to that album today, was very surprised at how much I liked the album. The cover for Nothin' is interesting. Have to hear it a few more times to tell. Nothin' is one of my favorite Townes songs, so I might be a bit biased.

This machine kills fascists, on the road to Rock and Roll.
  • Not being an Allison Krauss fan, I was surprised by how much I like the album also. All I can say is Kudios to T-Bone Burnette for a beautiful production.

• kperfetto schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 25. Dez. 2007, 18:11
    I'm listening to Marah's cover of You Are Not Needed Now, and it's amazing.

Will beta test for food.
    • [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 29. Dez. 2007, 15:56
    Willard Grant Conspiracy did a nice version of If I Needed You. Plus, it's free!

• the "Be Good Tanyas" did "waitin around to die" pretty good!

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Okt. 2008, 22:22
    The danish band Rhonda Harris has made a whole album with Townes Van Zandt covers called Tell The World We Tried
    Rake is their myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/rhondaharriscph

• The Cowboy Junkies did several Townes' Covers. I like the one where they did 'Highway Kind'.

• jcshepard schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 31. Mär. 2009, 19:38

New Earle in May

Grant Alden from the late great No Depression likes what he's hearing from Steve Earle's Townes tribute album.
    Caveats aside, and despite the fact that I know it doesn't come out until May 12, I've gotta tell y'all how good Steve's album Townes really is. Because it's really, really, unexpectedly good. See
    http://community.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/yeahabout-that-new-steve-earle

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana
    Big City
  • pancho, lefty and lungs

earls covers of pancho and lefty and lungs

http://www.newwestrecords.com/SteveEarle

• jcshepard schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mai. 2009, 16:47

Steve Earle

I'm liking Earle's new Townes. Released a day early on Amazon.com mp3.

Big City
    • fischyou schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Mai. 2009, 10:38

Our Mother The Mountain by NAVEL (swiss)

• JC, I like Townes as well, especially Steve and JTE's duet on "Mr. Gold & Mr. Mudd."

• I have to agree...Townes is an awesome record...adore the versions of Pauncho, Loretta and Lungs.

Be the change you want to see
  • Robert Earl Keen's new album, The Rose Hotel, came out yesterday and contains a cover of Townes' "Flyin' Shoes."

• On his new album, Some Days The Song Writes You, Guy Clark does a nice version of If I Needed You.

• Just downloaded Lyle Lovett's new album, Natural Forces, last night. It contains a pretty good version of "Loretta".

• jcshepard schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Dez. 2009, 21:05

Townes’ unseen poems set to music

By Michael Corcoran | Thursday, December 3, 2009, 12:11 PM
    What Billy Bragg and Wilco did for Woody Guthrie, writing melodies to go with lyrics left behind for their “Mermaid Avenue” albums, David Broza has done with unpublished poems by the late, great Townes Van Zandt.

The 12-track CD “Night Dawn,” which was produced by Broza and G.E. Smith comes out February 23 on S-Curve Records.

After Van Zandt died on New Year’s Eve 1997, Broza was bequeathed a shoebox full of Van Zandt poems. Strangely, the two performed together only once, in 1994 at a “Writers in the Round” show in Houston. They did not remain in touch afterwards. Israeli balladeer Broza had to wonder, ‘Why me?’

So did Van Zandt’s widow Jeanene, who asked Broza to not take the poems, but to let her present them to Townes’ fans like Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Lyle Lovett and others. Broza honored that request, but eight years later and nothing happening with Jeanene’s project, asked for them back. Thus started a four year process of writing music for 10 of the poems. One song on the album is a Broza instrumental tribute to Townes called “Too Old To Die Young,” while the other is a cover of a demo of the last song Van Zandt wrote.

“I only hope I’ve done those lyrics justice,” Broza told Billboard, “turning that poetry into song as Townes would have liked.”

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2009/12/03/townes_unseen_poems_set_to_mus.html

Big City
  • The lemonheads

The lemonheads covered waitin around to die, great album by the way, all covers. I especially like Yesterlove (Sam Gopal) and Green Fuz (Randy Alvey & Green Fuz). As a Townes fan you would probably enjoy them too.

the album:
    Varshons

• jcshepard schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Jun. 2010, 22:59
    Regarding the Broza album cited in December, this from John Conquest in 3rd Coast Muisc this month:
    Last February, Israeli star David Broza released an album entitled Night Dawn; The Unpublished Poetry Of Townes Van Zandt (S-Curve). According to Broza, he and Van Zandt played a Houston Writers In The Round show together in 1994, but didn’t stay in touch, so he was surprised to learn from the Writers In The Round hostess, Linda Lowe, that Van Zandt had willed him his poetry. At the time, he left the material with Townes’ ex-wife, Jeanene Van Zandt, but when they reconnected eight years later, she sent it to him and he started converting the poems into songs. Well, that’s his story and while I won’t call him a liar, there’s something very fishy about it. My main problem is that one of the tracks is titled Jeanene, and I very well remember Townes telling me, shortly after their divorce, that one of the (many) things that pissed Jeanene off was that he’d never written a song for or about her, so why a poem? I may be wrong, but I’m strongly inclined to think this a phony.

Big City
    • Lamarkin schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Sep. 2010, 5:37
    Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside this House" is a tribute to Texas songwriters, including Townes.

• On his new album, Band of Joy, Robert Plant covers Harm's Swift Way.

• soundcloud...

• sw- schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Mär. 2012, 15:31
    Lyle Lovett covers White Freightliner Blues on Release Me (2012). Also, has anybody mentioned the 3 most recent tribute compilations?

They include:

Riding the Range: Songs of Townes Van Zandt (2011)
    More Townes Van Zandt by the Great Unknown (2010)
    Introducing Townes Van Zandt by the Great Unknown (2009)

all of these are mixed bags, but some solid tracks on each.

• fischyou schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Mär. 2013, 20:32

Black Crow Blues

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.