Politics Politics Politics!

• awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Okt. 2007, 22:11

Politics Politics Politics!

Post if you dare!

• If only voting for Kucinich were actually practical...

That was then, this is dumb.
    • [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Okt. 2007, 22:23
    Well, he looks less...charismatic? (that's not the right word, but I mean "capable of getting votes") than Nader was, but if anything, the vote-split is most likely going to be among the Republicans, since there's nobody getting the fundie vote as of now.

• awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Okt. 2007, 22:25
    Yeah, I like him a lot. He seems to only be one of three genuine candidates... surprisingly, the only ones who really want to end the war in Iraq.

Phased redeployment is code for "not leaving the area for a long time"

• I'm writing in Ann Coulter

• Benutzer
    • 26. Okt. 2007, 22:35
    The thing is, although this sounds like I'm sacrificing myself on the altar of political corruption, I would never vote for a third-party candidate unless he or she had a good chance of winning. Otherwise it just takes away votes for a decent candidate so that a bad one can win. Since the country was founded, no third party has ever been a significant force in American politics for more than a few years. (The case could possibly be made for the Progressives around the beginning of the 20th century, but even they were too radical for the mainstream.)

And yes, I will admit to being a bitter Nader Hater. But both times he really only ran for the sake of his own ego, since he knew all along that he wasn't going to win.

• Rudd > Howard.

I forgot my physics book.
    • tmills schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Okt. 2007, 23:40
    I don't want Kucinich in office. He's WAY too liberal for me. I just really don't agree with any of the principles of the Democratic party. I don't think that the government should take care of everybody.

Ron Paul is part of the Republican Liberty Caucus. They are essentially a group of Libertarians that run as part of the Republican ticket in order to get Libertarians into office. Besides, Libertarians are fairly closer to the principles of the GOP. Less government.

All of you anti-Bush teenyboppers judge the entire Republican party on his Presidency. He's actually a rather poor model for the party. He spends like crazy.

Hillary's health care plan will do most of you no good and will cost you more in taxes, though most of you are still in school and don't care right now anyway, so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And Obama is putting pressure on Governor Schwarzenegger in California to give tuition assistance to illegal aliens. Why?

• knkwzrd schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 0:07
    Libertarianism sounds really good when people talk about it, but if it was actually implemented the United States would be bought out by China and everyone would be fucked. It's not a practical form of government. Libertarians are the right-wing version of assholes with Che Guevara shirts.

• Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 0:31
    If Hillary Clinton becomes president I'm moving to Canada.

• awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 0:31
    knkwzrd said:
    Libertarianism sounds really good when people talk about it, but if it was actually implemented the United States would be bought out by China and everyone would be fucked. It's not a practical form of government. Libertarians are the right-wing version of assholes with Che Guevara shirts.

Actually, you're completely wrong. If the US were to take a Libertarian approach and abolish, for example, corporate taxes, many companies would come to the US to produce their goods. The US would then again hold complete market power.

• Phibrizoq schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 0:40
    We are having elections next week in Argentina.
    Luckily, I'm still underage, because I wouldn't know who to vote (Voting is compulsory).

• awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 0:58
    Pillars1999 said:
    If Hillary Clinton becomes president I'm moving to Canada.

Hahahahhahahahah. That's one of my favorite sayings.

• knkwzrd schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 1:07
    awthomp86 said:
    Actually, you're completely wrong. If the US were to take a Libertarian approach and abolish, for example, corporate taxes, many companies would come to the US to produce their goods. The US would then again hold complete market power.

How does taking a completely laissez-faire approach to the economy guarantee anything besides being bought out by a country whose economy is going to double every ten years for the forseeable future?

• awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 1:16
    knkwzrd said:
    awthomp86 said:

How does taking a completely laissez-faire approach to the economy guarantee anything besides being bought out by a country whose economy is going to double every ten years for the forseeable future?

Despite the fact that China is doing so well, many economists agree that it is a "bubble" and the state controlled economy can't keep up with the growth and all the by products that come with it. If you take a laissez faire approach, the states would become, once again, the place to manufacture goods. Why are jobs exported to China and Mexico anyways? Labor and taxes are cheaper! If you reduce the costs of operation, all of the outsourcing problems would all but vanish. It's much easier to operate in the states than in China... the only reason it's done now is strictly for profit reasons. Remember, the number one goal of any company is to do nothing but make money.

You're seeing parts of the US being bought up due to the weakness of the dollar brought about by inflation and other such causes. It has little to do with taking a laissez-faire type style to running businesses.

Before you all jump on me, I'm not a 100% laissez-faire fan. There are many market failures (externalities) which are subject to government intervention. A good example of this is pollution. Free market type solutions (such as the buying and selling of pollution permits) can provide a good substitute to straight up government restrictions.

• knkwzrd schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 1:42
    China's economy is hardly state controlled, and pretending that their growth will slow down anytime soon is ridiculous. Their economy is catching up with their population, and it's unrealistic and naive to assume that the United States will continue to hold to the amount of influence they currently do later in this century.

• themcrob schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 3:11
    ron paul vs kuninich in a crazy contest, who wins?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayoral_administration_of_Dennis_Kucinich

it takes a special man to make clevelandites lives so much worse, they nearly recall the bastard

• Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 3:30
    First of all, I don't appreciate the "teenybopper" sobriquet—I don't go out of my way to go "GEORGE BUSH SUCKS! WOOYEAH!!!" all over the place. I pretty much figure our president's ineptitude is common knowledge that anyone with half a brain would recognize, and as he's more or less a lame duck right now I've completely written him out of the picture.

If it were Hillary vs. Rudy or Mitt I do admit I'd vote for Hillary as the very last thing we need is 4 more years of fundie domination, but there's definitely something unsavory about her. The way she was rallying against violent video games combined with the influence from Tipper and the PMRC suggests a decidedly pro-censorship stance, and I just can't go for that. Fuck "protecting the kids"—putting them in bubbles where nothing bad ever happens just screws them up so much more later in life.

As for Obama's beliefs, I do admit I'm biased since I'm from Illinois, but I see nothing wrong with letting in Mexicans just as long as they're not treated as cheap-labor slaves and are actually given chances to succeed in modern-day America, which means suitable job training and access to good schools. If we only gave them at least a fighting chance to do well here, there would be nothing like that xenophobic sack of shit Lou Dobbs and his "War On The Middle Class" screed. Yes, they might not be coming legally, but the same thing was said about the Polish and Russians at the turn of the 20th century and the Irish and Germans before that...and I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of them stowed away or snuck by the guards on Ellis Island. I think anyone with innocent motives who wants to move to America should be able to do so, and I've actually been giving serious thought to what a world without borders would be like—impractical in theory, but all the bull with the "Minutemen" on the border and people being forbidden to speak Spanish in certain places is just wrong. It only encourages tension and violence between different ethnic groups.

But the reason why most advocates of keeping illegals in America want to do so, cheap labor in squalid work conditions, has gotten me thinking: is it really possible to have a society without one group or another being subjugated? I keep thinking of Brave New World, and how it was said that a society of only Alphas would just argue and not get anything accomplished, so lower workers like Deltas and Epsilons were necessary to do mindless menial jobs. I might sound overly idealistic, but I just can't believe that all governments need to have a hierarchy with haves and have-nots. It's something that I have yet to fully come to terms with, so it'd be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

• tmills schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 4:12
    CarsCat said:
    First of all, I don't appreciate the "teenybopper" sobriquet

I was just kidding - just wanted to get a rise out of someone. Glad it worked.

But the reason why most advocates of keeping illegals in America want to do so, cheap labor in squalid work conditions, has gotten me thinking: is it really possible to have a society without one group or another being subjugated? I keep thinking of Brave New World, and how it was said that a society of only Alphas would just argue and not get anything accomplished, so lower workers like Deltas and Epsilons were necessary to do mindless menial jobs. I might sound overly idealistic, but I just can't believe that all governments need to have a hierarchy with haves and have-nots. It's something that I have yet to fully come to terms with, so it'd be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

I think there will always be a class system. There has to be. It's not just human nature, it's nature. Look at most mammals. They have a pack system with alpha leaders, too. Just the way we were made, I suppose.

• 80sfraud schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 6:00
    Hillary clinton is Conservative as shit, it scares me how many knee Jerk Democrats are going to vote for her.

Even if I was 18 I wouldn't vote. The US government is Balls and voting for a new asshole won't change it.

• Not voting won't either. I'm quite glad I can finally vote. Midterms last year were annoying as hell; half my friends turned 18 in October, and half of them forgot to register to vote, which made me very bitter as I wanted to vote, but couldn't.

That was then, this is dumb.
    • awthomp86 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Okt. 2007, 6:33
    I agree. Not voting is super lame.

• awthomp86 said:
    I agree. Not voting is super lame.

That has always been my position, but I am waaaaay too liberal that I've gotten apathetic. I'll probably throw Kucinich a pointless vote.

love, music, wine and revolution
  • Yay for compulsory voting in Australia!

I'm not 18, but you don't have to show ID when you vote. So I'm gonna walk in and say I'm someone I'm not, get their name checked off and then when that person actually goes and gets told they've already voted... will bring the lols.

Oh, we have a federal election on Nov. 24th for those that care.

I forgot my physics book.
  • id vote for paul if i were american

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.