April 2010 mix discussion: geek mixes

• April 2010 mix discussion: geek mixes

Hi mixtapers - thanks for last month's "listen up" mixes. I liked the mixes which stuck to the theme, like candeecandee's most important songs in the world. I also liked how the theme was interpreted creatively by some, e.g. _218_5_'s mix of songs with "!" in them, and Poppycrock's "aural" mix.

And thanks for voting for your preferred topic to make mixes about for April. Results as follows:

* 35% Brackets
    * 22% Foreign languages
    * 43% Geek

So "Geek" is this month's theme. You have free reign to make as geeky a mix as you like, e.g. songs in the key of B flat minor, and/or by bands with the same initials, and/or at a similar BPM, etc. Or you could widen the theme and mix together songs about geeks, computers or trains.

Or make a mix about anything and post it to the relevant place in the forum. You can stay in the group just by posting any mix to the group once every two months.

Any questions? Give me a shout. Have a good Easter.

George

• Geek or Freak?

Freak sounds like geek, right? I did this recently following muzikizum's suggestion of forming a chain of songs using the last word of the title of a song as the first word of the next title. It was bloody hard and took ages but I managed to loop it from the last track back to the first.

I picked the first track by putting my ipod on shuffle and starting with the first track that came up. I had to do this several times before I found a track that worked. The first track is called 'Freak Like Me' and was covered by the Sugababes for their number one hit of the same name. Interestingly [and purely by coincidence] the other track used in that Sugababes hit 'Are Friends Electric' found it's way onto the mixtape.

The Freak Loop:

01. Freak Like Me - Tru Faith & Dub Conspiracy [2000]
    02. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul [1989]
    03. I Am Music - Common [2002]
    04. Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex - CSS [2007]
    05. Sex On Fire - Kings of Leon [2008]
    06. Fire Like This - HardNox [1999]
    07. This Will Change It - Sandy Rivera & Jose Burgos [2000]
    08. It Was Supposed To Be So Easy - The Streets [2004]
    09. Easy Lover - Phillip Bailey & Phil Collins [1984]
    10. Lover That You Are - Pulse feat Antoinette Robinson [1996]
    11. Are 'Friends' Electric - Tubeway Army [1979]
    12. Electric Feel - MGMT [2007]
    13. Feel Nobody - Sharam Jey [2007]
    14. Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt - We Are Scientists [2005]
    15. Hurt You So - Jonny L [2005]
    16. So Much Love To Give-Thomas Bangalter & DJ Falcon [2000]
    17. Give It Up - The Goodmen [1993]
    18. Up Your Speed - Sway [2006]
    19. Speed Freak - Orbital [1991]

Hope the recipient enjoys it.
    Download: The Freak Loop

Bearbeitet von LeonRivers am 17. Apr. 2010, 11:42
  • If it ain't got that swing, I get evil.
    Where's Laura, das Mädchen im Pelz? Waiting for the Queen of Scots, Rosa Lee. She was a sex bomb.
    There's voices wading through the slum when you say your prayers tonight.
    Night time is a song for Elvis. He's gone hillbilly nuts.
    I think I like you all the way... forever and again.
    Outta sight!

I hope that's geeky enough for you.

1004 Geeks In Brackets

1. Billy Banks - It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)
    2. Gary Moore - Don't you lie to me (I get evil)
    3. The Wombats - Party In A Forest (Where's Laura?)
    4. The Nits - In A Play (Das Mädchen im Pelz)
    5. Madness - (Waiting For The) Ghost Train
    6. Eddi Reader - Never Going Back Again (The Queen Of Scots)
    7. Los Lobos - Set Me Free (Rosa Lee)
    8. They Might Be Giants - (She Was A) Hotel Detective
    9. James Brown - Get Up (Sex Machine)
    10. Vivian Stanshall & The Big Boys - (There's) No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car
    11. Depeche Mode - Any Second Now (Voices)
    12. Richard Hawley - (Wading) Through The Waters Of My Time
    13. The Detroit Cobras - Summer (This Slum)
    14. Jerry Lee Lewis - Don't Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight)
    15. Ray Charles - (Night Time Is) The Right Time
    16. Cowboy Junkies - Blue Moon Revisited (A Song For Elvis)
    17. The Fleetwoods - (He's) The Great Imposter
    18. BR5-49 - Little Ramona (Gone Hillbilly Nuts)
    19. Slut - Why Pourqoui (I Think I Like You)
    20. Luna - California (All The Way)
    21. The Mission - Kingdom Come (Forever And Again)
    22. Wilco - Outta Mind (Outta Sight)

• haha! brilliantly done....

• This mix was originally made for someone from another mixtaping group, where they still have mixpartners ; ) So it was made into a CD for this person who likes everything from the current electronic scene, but had never listened to any of the artists who actually pioneered synthesizer music.

I'd thought of posting it here in either the Grab Bag, or the Genre Samplers thread, but it should probably work as my Geek Mix.

The mix starts with a short classical track by Karlheinz Stockhausen who (according to Wikipedia) was the first to use Synthesizers in classical composition. The rest of the mix is made up of tracks by artists/bands from the 1970s and 1980s (some of whom are obviously still going strong). Track 17 though, is a later ('90's) version of the Sparks song, the original version of which was recorded in 1974. It was too tempting to put both Erasure and Sparks into the mix with this track ...

Since I did not make this mix specifically for this group, I thought I'd make a part 2 of this at a later date (hopefully before the month is over) ... also because a lot of stuff that I wanted to put on this got left out. A mixtape can be only so long ... and this one's long enough as it is.

Hope that some of you enjoy : )

art by kingofnowhere

The Roots Of The Synthesizer - Disc 1

1. Schlagwerk Nordwest,Karlheinz Stockhausen -Karlheinz Stockhausen: Tierkreis - 12 Melodien der Sternzeic
    2. Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
    3. Visage - Fade To Grey
    4. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Silent Running
    5. Suicide - Ghost Rider
    6. Chris & Cosey - Stolen Kisses
    7. Devo - That's Good
    8. Yazoo - In My Room
    9. Tubeway Army - Me! I Disconnect from You
    10. Cabaret Voltaire - Landslide
    11. Pet Shop Boys - Heart
    12. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
    13. Arthur Russell - You Can Make Me Feel Bad
    14. Fad Gadget - Coitus Interruptus
    15. Depeche Mode - Get The Balance Right
    16. Grauzone - Film 2
    17. Sparks (with Erasure) - Amateur Hour
    18. Brian Eno - Kurt's Rejoinder
    19. The Human League - Love Action (I Believe in Love)
    20. Yellow Magic Orchestra - Technopolis
    21. Giorgio Moroder & Philip Oakey - Together in Electric Dreams

Download:
    http://www.divshare.com/folder/701817-683

Bearbeitet von beautifulwaste am 15. Apr. 2010, 14:37
  • Walk with georgethe23rd

I had a few "geek" mixes flying round my head, and this is a try at the 1st idea I had. This is going to make me sound VERY geeky.

A while ago I worked out that I walk at around 115 bpm. I started to put together playlists of music at that speed or slightly faster (to make me walk a bit faster). Walking is the only real exercise I get - most other exercise bores me to death.

So here's some of my favourite walking tracks. All are at 115 bpm or thereabouts; awesomely mixed, looped and beatmatched (even if say so myself); and showcasing my rather eccentric tastes:

1. Into the Groovey - Ciccone Youth - a Sonic Youth side project

2. Paparazzi - Lady Gaga

3. Inner City Pressure - Flight of the Conchords - a Pet Shop Boys pastiche

4. Nothing Can Stop Us - St Etienne

5. Behind the Mask - Yellow Magic Orchestra - clearly a geeky pick, considering beautifulwaste picked YMO too above

6. Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop) (12") - Man Parrish

7. Slow (Chemical Brothers Remix) - Kylie Minogue

8. In The Highways (Georgethe23rd Remix) - The Peasall Sisters - I apologise in advance for anybody who likes this song, from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack

9. Television Rules The Nation - Daft Punk

10. Treat 'em Right - Chubb Rock

11. Gritty Shaker - David Holmes

12. Sure Beats Workin' - Beats Workin' - from one catchy hook...

13. A Roller Skating Jam Named "Saturdays" - De La Soul - ... to another

14. Tribute To JB Family - The Last Minister

15. Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys

16. Some Signs Are Good - diskJokke

17. The Robots - Kraftwerk

18. Can You Feel It - Mr Fingers

19. Nikki - Weird Tapes - featuring a surprising sample

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/uc2pln

• haha, very nice, i love it when my step used to sync up with my headphones

don't listen to music on the move any more though, i have to be vigilant at all times, i'm in the neighbourhood watch

Musicians are magicians.
    That's what I always say.
    • nescious schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Apr. 2010, 22:26

April 2010 Da Nacional

Lately I've been geekishly listening to The National in anticipation of a concert next month in Berlin, so I decided to make a collection, that I hope has something for you either if you've never listened to anything before or know their albums. The latter by including some older work as well as some from EP's and a charity CD.

Playlist length: 1 hour 10 minutes 3 seconds

1. 90-Mile Water Wall (3:44)
    2. Bloodbuzz Ohio (4:36)
    3. Brainy (3:18)
    4. Secret Meeting (3:44)
    5. All the Wine (3:20)
    6. Slipping Husband (3:22)
    7. Racing Like A Pro (3:24)
    8. Squalor Victoria (2:59)
    9. Baby, We'll Be Fine (3:21)
    10. Cardinal Song (6:18)
    11. Ada (4:03)
    12. So Far Around the Bend (3:43)
    13. Slow Show (4:08)
    14. Looking For Astronauts (3:23)
    15. You've Done It Again Virginia (3:04)
    16. Mr. November (4:00)
    17. About Today (4:10)

Extra, a recording taken from a web broadcast by QTV:
    18. The Runaway (5:26)

Link: MediaFire

• Okay so I ended up making two mixes for this month, and they're probably not so much "geeky" as they are "themes that would be too riduclous and specific to expect everyone in the group to try", though more so in the case of the first than the second.

The First Two Weeks of April
    So the theme for this one is songs from albums released in the month April, where each track number corresponds to the day in April in which the album that the songs came from was released.
    So the first song was from an album released on an April 1, the second from an album released on an April 2, etc, while still trying to be a cohesive mix of stuff that I like. Also I did cheat a bit in some places where I used the European release dates instead of North American, and vice versa.

1. R.E.M. - Living Well Is The Best Revenge (3:11)
    2. Brothers Johnson - I'll Be Good To You (4:47)
    3. A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? (4:12)
    4. Doves - Rise (5:38)
    5. The Books - Venice (1:42)
    6. Jónsi - Sinking Friendships (4:42)
    7. Metric - Collect Call (4:32)
    8. The Breeders - Regalame Esta Noche (2:51)
    9. Lucky Soul - Add Your Light To Mine, Baby (2:23)
    10. Blonde Redhead - 23 (5:18)
    11. Sam Roberts - Bridge To Nowhere (3:09)
    12. Richard & Linda Thompson - The End of the Rainbow (3:56)
    13. Thin Lizzy - Do Anything You Want To (3:52)
    14. M83 - Too Late (4:59)

Download Here

The Night Starts Here
    And for this one, the track numbers correspond to the track number of the album that the song was originally released on. So the first track is the first track on its album, the second track is the second track on its album, etc. This one I actually like more, and has a bit of a night time vibe to it, hence the title.

1. The XX - Intro (2:07)
    2. Stars - The Night Starts Here (4:53)
    3. 65DaysofStatic - Retreat! Retreat! (4:09)
    4. Asobi Seksu - Thursday (4:17)
    5. Yo La Tengo - Black Flowers (4:28)
    6. The Devlins - Alone In The Dark (5:15)
    7. Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl (4:35)
    8. The Chemical Brothers - Close Your Eyes (6:14)
    9. Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram - Somewhere Out There (4:01)
    10. U2 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (5:30)
    11. Destroyer - Certain Things You Ought to Know (4:25)
    12. Slowdive - Good Day Sunshine (5:08)
    13. boards of canada - olson (1:31)
    14. The Kleptones - Resignation (7:40)

Download Here

• Cool uses of the theme, marko! I might just try your second formula...

Hey, good day, fellow Geek Mixers – this here's my inclusion to this month's geekery, and I hope that you'll enjoy.

It's composed entirely of songs that are – at least in part – in 5/4 (or 5/8 time). It's an uncommon time signature for use in Western music; I think we're so used to hearing (and composing) in standard 4/4 (the go-to meter for perhaps 99% of dance music out there), that 5 just feels alien, lopsided. I wish I knew more about music, and could hear meters better – I probably would have had an easier time making this. Due to it's scant use, there's not a lot of popular music (classical's better documented, anyway) out there to choose from. Or perhaps outside of the more obvious entries, we just don't notice (it sure helps when they use the meter in the name).

Anyhow, here's 15 in 5.

01. Lalo Schifrin, Mission Impossible Theme: This is probably the most instantly recognizable use of 5/4 anywhere, and emphasizes its distinctive angularity.

02. Dave Brubeck Quartet, Take Five: 5/4's biggest hit! His classic 1959 album Time Out is entirely composed in odd meters (3/4, 6/8, 9/8).

03. Soundgarden, My Wave: I like this one because for all intensive purposes it's a Big Rock Song – the guitars, the vocals, etc. – made wonky by its use of 5.

04. Gorillaz, 5/4: Like I said, it's nice when they include it in the title. Can you make 5/4 dancey? This is probably as close as you'll get.

05. Led Zeppelin, Four Sticks: These guys were pretty adventurous with their meters, actually. I read that John Paul Jones originally wrote "Black Dog" in 3/16, but it was too tough to pull off – in the final version, John Bonham plays in 4/4 while the rest of the band plays in 5. This one's verse is 5/8.

06. Radiohead, 15 Step: "2+2=5" from Hail to the Thief is in 7. Go figure.

07. Poster Children, Eye: I still have their T shirt, and when I wear it to the gym, people look at me funny.

08. The Beatles, Within You Without You: Classical Indian music is often in five, as it's composed in shifting metric "units," rather than the more rigid Western notational system.

09. King Crimson, Red: prog-rockers loved them some odd meters (ELP, Yes, etc.); this one's intro theme is in 5/8.

10. Les Savy Fav, New Teen Anthem: 5/4's sort of ignored for hardcore & punk, with a few notable examples.

11. XTC, English Roundabout: This one gives the 5 an almost ska feel.

12. Peter Gabriel, D.I.Y.: From his second solo album (known by fans as "Scratch"), back when they didn't have titles.

13. Drive Like Jehu, Here Come the Rome Plows: Like I said, hardly any hardcore in 5, but DLJ weren't just any hardcore band.

14. Nick Drake, River Man: Again, I wish I could hear meters better, as I had a tough time finding any gentler songs in 5. I suppose one stellar example's enough.

15. Pavement, 5-4=Unity: Stockton's indie rock godz pay tribute to the other famous Stocktonite – Dave Brubeck – with this offbeat homage.

Enjoy it here.

• My inclusion into this month's geek theme was kinda a journey. I originally intended to make it a bunch of music that would probably never get you laid -- you know if you see a certain band's t-shirt on somebody you can guess he's not the coolest guy in the room. But that looked to turn into just a prog-rock sampler (and a lot of my prog rock hasn't survived cassette). So I took a little of that theme, added music by bands that one would call 'quirky' (in other words, a buncha nerds), or referenced any of the bands that I would otherwise have included, or sci-fi, or Star Wars...you get the idea, hopefully.

And before anyone wants to take offense because they think the stuff in here I'm calling geeky is actually pretty cool, bear in mind I have all this stuff, too!

Here's the link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ojncjzik25y

GEEK OUT!

01 Devo - Through Being Cool
    What better way to start off with than this mission statement?
    02 Dr. Who theme song
    Original '60s series theme song. Uber-geek!
    03 Rush - I Think I'm Going Bald
    Beloved geek band, with a song even us Rush-fan geeks think is pretty dorky..
    04 Fountains of Wayne - ...Baby Hit Me One More Time
    I never met 'em, but I'll bet money they're pretty geeky.
    05 XTC - Science Friction
    Same as above, with added points for the play on 'science fiction'
    06 They Might Be Giants - XTC vs. Adam Ant
    Definitely a 'quirky' band, and the XTC reference
    07 Richard Cheese - Darth Vader's Imperial March Theme
    Lounge-singing parodist turns in a pretty cool piano jam...about Star Wars
    08 Weird Al Yankovic - Yoda
    Weird Al, Star Wars. What more need I say?
    09 MECO - Empire Strikes Back (Medley)
    Granted, when this song came out, Star Wars was the height of cool. As was disco. Maybe we're not the geeks after all.
    10 Flight of the Conchords - Hurt Feelings
    My favorite Kiwi geeks.
    11 Frank Zappa - Dancin' Fool
    Frank was an oddball, for sure, but add the disco-dancing fool in the song...
    12 Mr. Bungle - Super Mario Bros. theme
    'Nuff said.
    13 Presidents of the USA - Cleveland Rocks
    Goofy band turns in the theme song to goofy Drew Carey's show.
    14 Barenaked Ladies - Grade 9
    Rush, Highway to Heaven, admitted nerdiness. And I also think they ripped off Science Friction for the main theme.
    15 Primus - DMV
    I know, Les Claypool is a badass. But an oddball. And probably got beat up on the playground. Just sayin'.
    16 Richard Cheese - Rape Me
    A mostly-instrumental piece didn't seem to do justice.
    17 Styx - Miss America
    A holdover from the earlier prog-rock drafts. Definitely a cheeseball song.
    18 Man or Astroman - Munsters theme
    More cult TV
    19 Dead Milkmen - Born to Love Volcanos
    The Milkmen. Volcanos. PBS. Triple your geekery.
    20 - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
    Seiously, how many times has saying, "I bet you like to take pictures, wink wink, nudge nudge, knowwhatImean, knowwhatImean?" been a successful pickup line?

I know...Geeks -- takes one to know one. Guilty as charged.

Bearbeitet von Poppycrock am 13. Apr. 2010, 3:28
  • Cthulubelle, that theme is awesome. :oD

• Howdy! Yet again I'm most pleased that my favorite theme of the month is the theme of the month yes. :)

There's really something similar that I felt during the making of this geek mix. Not that it felt way too repetitive in any way or so, but creating this was like compiling the tracks for my Must Listen mix from last month!
    Probably 'cause of one potential reason: that perhaps I always tend to make a mixtape here that's considered a must listen in my eyes (actually ears, but you know), and I guess I also always make a geeky mix, 'cause that's what I am, go figure. :D

BUT, it was incredibly fun dedicating a whole mixtape to my geekiness, which is awesome 'cause it brings out even more my love for certain styles and genres and such! Therefore, I'm including a concrete summary again for each track, because I often adore typing it out like that. :P Often I say!
    It's done in two parts again, including quite a lot of different stuffs, I'd say enjoy this travel on the back of the last unicorn to the land of the digital accordions!!

Download Link (Part 1)

01. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Raspberry Dawn
    02. America - The Last Unicorn
    03. The Deserts of Träun - Descending The Crystal Mountains
    04. Nobuo Uematsu - Terra
    05. Amethystium - Into The Twilight
    06. Nobuo Uematsu - Bran Bal, The Village Without Souls
    07. Genghis Tron - Rock Candy
    08. Dirty Projectors - Stillness Is The Move
    09. Rhapsody - The Magic of The Wizard's Dream
    10. Enya - The Council of Elrond
    11. Scout Niblett - Kira Kira Boshi
    12. T.M.Revolution - Heart of Sword
    13. Enter Shikari - The Jester

Download Link (Part 2)

01. The Simpsons - A Fish Called Selma
    02. Los Campesinos! - There Are Listed Buildings
    03. Hanatarash - Full Speed/Forgetman
    04. Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp
    05. Psapp - The Words
    06. Ween - Friends
    07. Kap Bambino - Blue Screen
    08. The Faint - The Geeks Were Right
    09. Sam White - Capital Dollar
    10. Ozma - Your Name
    11. The Cassettes - Lady Faire
    12. The Lovely Eggs - Have You Ever Heard a Digital Accordion?

01. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Raspberry Dawn

This is one of those typical tracks I wanted to include in any mixtape so far for in this group, but when it comes down to selecting dozens of songs, somehow this one never got picked, boo-hoo. It's a rather magical pitch of a song, but so are Black Moth Super Rainbow, simply put.

02. America - The Last Unicorn

AND WHAT BETTER WAY to continue a super rainbow with the last unicorn. :D For those of you who actually haven't heard of it, The Last Unicorn is pretty much the best animated movie ever. So this is really more about youth sentiment rather than general geekiness, though. I must've included this track eitherway. <3

03. The Deserts of Träun - Descending The Crystal Mountains

A friend of mine once said that all progressive music sounds like video game tunes. I do have to say he's got a good point there, especially the beginning of this song pretty much says it all. Epic tuneage, mostly due to the eclectic feeling to it. I guess that's avant-garde metal for ya eh.

04. Nobuo Uematsu - Terra
    06. Nobuo Uematsu - Bran Bal, The Village Without Souls

From prog sounds to Nobuo. The composer of most Final Fantasy video games, I'm simply a pretty big fan of his musics and of a couple of FF games, FFIX in particular where these two ambient songs originate from. Gotta love a big mellow interlude like this.

05. Amethystium - Into The Twilight

In between the two Final Fantasy songs there's a new age/electro artist someone recommended to me a long while ago. As it fits the ambience of those two tracks, I thought it was a good match. Amethystium of all things is pretty much the best music to fall asleep with (it's far from dull, it's just good for sleeping yes ;P), but this particular track is a bit more uptempo, so I could avoid this ambient interlude from going, you know, dull.

07. Genghis Tron - Rock Candy

Time for a harsh wake-up call - it's ALWAYS time for a harsh wake-up call. :D:D Experimental cybergrind. That is all.

08. Dirty Projectors - Stillness Is The Move

Keeping up the beat with this. I danced a lot and like crazy to this song last summer. The thing about dancing is that random dancing is of all things naturally the best. Not a care about anything, not following any rules and all, and this is at the same time one of those memorable songs that remind me of the good (aka let the geek loose!) times from last summer.

09. Rhapsody - The Magic of The Wizard's Dream

Rhapsody of Fire once recorded something with Christopher Reeve, thus making a return to epic music. Symphonic power meets Saruman, I'm loving it, even though some may still find this corny, believe it or not, !

10. Enya - The Council of Elrond

I did mention Saruman, and I am continueing this with one of my favorite tracks from the The Fellow of the Ring soundtrack. :)

11. Scout Niblett - Kira Kira Boshi

Like everyone, I love a cute girl singing unexpectedly in Japanese. A subtle introduction to a next soundtrack possibly from an anime?

12. T.M.Revolution - Heart of Sword

Of course an anime. :D One of my favorite series and one of the first I fully followed while I was still elementary school: Rurouni Kenshin! (also known as Samurai X)
    So yeah, magic rainbows, unicorns, final fantasies, wizards, elven councils and samurai shenanigans. I hope I didn't take it to the extreme in this first part lol.

13. Enter Shikari - The Jester

Then, to finish this mental first half, there's Enter Shikari. Now, I'm still not a huge fan of the whole nintendo/trancecore thing and all, but very often there are just silly ol' fun songs to be found within a subgenre like this. Dancing mad like a jester, that's simply what it does.

01. The Simpsons - A Fish Called Selma

I LOVE YOU DOCTOR ZAIUS!

02. Los Campesinos! - There Are Listed Building

Something I only recently gave a hearty listen, and indie pop such as this always hits the geek nerve, probably due to the peculiar way of singing that's going on in this hella catchy song.

03. Hanatarash - Full Speed/Forgetman
    04. Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp

These two tracks combined are caused by the clash of two albums. First of all, I love using Hanatarash randomly in some mixtapes, 'cause random, that's pretty much what it is, but often very very fun noise still.
    In Full Speed/Forgetman they sample the song Liquidator by Harry J All Stars. Now this song also appeared on the soundtrack of the video game GTA London! That game's pretty nostalgic to me by now, and the whole soundtrack contained quite a few awesome late 60's dub and ska musics. But back then, I had no idea about who the musicians are that appear on the fictional radiostations, naturally. Only later I rediscovered Liquidator when I got into weird noise like Hanatarash. Liquidator appeared in one sound file on the GTA London disc followed up by Skinhead Moonstomp by Symarip. Gotta love skankin' after trashy noisy sampling.

05. Psapp - The Words

The second half of this is slightly more about geeky lovely dancing, really, while the first half was about introducing a couple of my favorite games and movies and such. :)
    Psapp are a toytronica band. How cute is the term toytronica, seriously.

06. Ween - Friends

Ween just often show how much they must've been an inspiration to duos like Flight of the Conchords 'cause of songs like this.

07. Kap Bambino - Blue Screen

A French electro duo I actually recommend a lot to a lot of peops. Imagine stuff like electro-clash bands but with a slightly more hypnotic noisier sound. I also saw them live last year, and a charming discovery it was. ^^

08. The Faint - The Geeks Were Right

I got to know about this band through one of SevenUp's mixtapes, where a remix of this track appeared on. I inmediatly liked it, and, even though it's probably too much of an obvious choice, I wanted to include it anyway, bwaha.

09. Sam White - Capital Dollar

Well that's enough dancing for now I reckon'. Time to get more mellow, with Sam White. I used one of his songs before in a party mix and I think I've mentioned him before in an earlier summary. Anyways, weird and groovy, that's my cup of tea.

10. Ozma - Your Name

Lol, I didn't even had a clue these guys are tagged Geek Rock. :D How extremely fitting!
    I think most people may know Ozma by their Tetris rock song? But instead of using the Tetris song (very similar to stuff like The Advantage, really!), I'd like to continue the mellow part of this second half. ^^

11. The Cassettes - Lady Faire

Steam. Punk. <33

Well after that weird climax, here's something even quirkier. :D This is followed up by a bonus track; It's not a rickroll, but it's close, and much more awesome (and no it's not Trololol)!

Ta-dah!!

• Karlientjeuh, I cannot guarantee that I will get around to listening to your mix (school, finals, projects)... However I must say one thing:

You are so awesome for including that Simpsons song. Honestly, that just made my day remembering that episode. In fact I saw it recently, and was talking about it to a friend of mine not too long ago. Kinda funny to see it show up here.

• Karlientjeuh said:

I was thinking of putting that on my mix too, oddly enough. I'm glad someone did, it's a good geek song.

• Part 2 of my Geek Mix ....

The Roots Of The Synthesizer - Disc 2

1. Neu! - Cassetto
    2. Silicon Teens - Do You Love Me?
    3. New Order - True Faith
    4. Pete Shelley - I Don't Know What Love Is
    5. Cluster - Dem Wanderer
    6. Bel Canto - The Suffering
    7. John Foxx - He's A Liquid
    8. Japan - Quiet Life
    9. Amon Düül II - SM II Peng
    10. The Buggles - I Love You (Miss Robot)
    11. Duran Duran - Electric Barberella
    12. Alan Vega - Saturn Drive
    13. Colin Newman - Image
    14. Young Marble Giants - The Man Amplifier
    15. Tangerine Dream - 21st Century Common Man, Pt. 1
    16. Anne Clark - Lover's Retreat
    17. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Bang

Download
    http://www.divshare.com/folder/704666-16e

Bearbeitet von beautifulwaste am 15. Apr. 2010, 14:39
  • For those who haven't had enough of songs in 5/4 time, here's a full mashup album in 5/4 time:

Off The Beaten Meter

Haven't heard it yet, but it sounds interesting.

• _218_5_ schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Apr. 2010, 19:21
    Hearing the word 'Geek' I first though of math and numbers, so I decided to finish a numbers mix that I'd been working on a bit before. So here it is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/am42ye

How to count
    1. The Black Angels - The First Vietnamese war
    2. Klaxons - Two Receivers
    3. David Fridlund - 3 Pictures (Of You & You & You)
    4. Everything Is Made in China - Buy 4 take one free
    5. Ernest Gonzales - Lullaby No. 5
    6. Explosions in the Sky - Six days at the bottom of the Ocean
    7. The Notwist - Day 7
    8. The Radio Dept. - It's been eight years
    9. Damien Rice - 9 Crimes
    10. Kent - 10 minuter (för mig själv)
    11. [ingenting] - #11
    12. Mew - 156
    13. Ana Never - 30 seconds of my past life
    14. David & The Citizens - 48h
    15. Almedal - 250 dagar

Now count with me: 1... 2... 1234!!

• Morrissey in the key of A minor

My 2nd mix for this month is Morrissey related songs all in the same key of A minor (e.g. all songs predominantly use the notes of the scale of A minor), which is a fairly geeky theme I reckon.

A while ago I used a program called Copytrans to work out the BPMs and key signatures of all my MP3s. Most of the time it gets it about right.

I noticed that many of my MP3s were in A minor, particularly Morrissey songs!

Most songs in the mix are by Morrissey apart from where specified.

1. Alsatian Cousin (1988)

2. Oscillate Wildly - The Smiths (1985)

3. There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends (1991)

4. Black Cloud (2009)

5. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell (2009)

6. The Youngest Was the Most Loved (2006)

7. Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together (1988)

8. I Know It's Over - The Smiths (1986)

9. Never Had No One Ever - The Smiths (1986)

10. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty (1991)

11. I Have Forgiven Jesus (2004)

12. Ambitious Outsiders (1997)

13. Single - Pony Club - a Morrissey favourite (2002)

14. Slum Mums (2004)

15. Dear God Please Help Me (2006)

16. Moonriver (1994)

17. Meat Is Murder - The Smiths (1985)

18. You Know I Couldn't Last (2004)

Download from http://www.sendspace.com/file/6p628o

• w3stfa11 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 20. Apr. 2010, 2:58

Start Me Up playlist

The reason I call it a Start Me Up playlist is because all the songs in the collection start within the first 5 seconds. That is, you can hear the singer's voice almost immediately after clicking play, without waiting 20 or more seconds of buildup before you actually hear any words.

Most of these songs are catchy and fairly accessible. It's mostly indie rock songs with some alternative rock from the 90s/00s. If you like it, send me a message on my wall. It's 79 minutes so it'll fit on a CD (people still use CDs?).

Download here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?vmjyvttjhlo

P.S. I recommend track 14.

1. Metric - "Gimme Sympathy"
    2. Cold War Kids - "Audience"
    3. Editors - "You Don't Know Love"
    4. Delta Spirit - "People C'mon"
    5. Bright Eyes - "Happy Accident"
    6. The Beatles - "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"
    7. The Mendoza Line - "Aspect of an Old Maid"
    8. Desaparecidos - "The Happiest Place On Earth"
    9. Grant Lee Buffalo - "Demon Called Deception"
    10. Neutral Milk Hotel - "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"
    11. Sunset Rubdown - "They Took A Vote And Said No"
    12. Swan Lake - "The Freedom"
    13. The Decemberists - "16 Military Wives"
    14. Okkervil River - "John Allyn Smith Sails"
    15. Sponge - "Molly"
    16. Billie the Vision & the Dancers - "Summercat"
    17. Live - "Waitress"
    18. Rage Against the Machine - "Maria"
    19. Lucky Boys Confusion - "Fred Astaire"
    20. Oar - "City on Down"
    21. Ben Folds Five - "Army"
    22. Custom - "Hey Mister"
    23. Jonathan Coulton - "Code Monkey" (the geekiest song on here!)

• Litteral

1. Green Day - Geek stink breath
    2. Between the Buried and Me - geek U.S.A.
    3. up up down down left right left right B A start - I know you'll find out that i'm a geek
    4. Busta rymes - geek down
    5. D.O.A. - pencil neck geek
    6. MC Chris - geek
    7. Cheap Trick - dawson's geek
    8. The Faint - the geeks were right
    9. Nat King Cole - The Geek
    10. The darlings - just like a geek
    11. Melvins - Dr Geek

will update with link later

• vitreus schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Apr. 2010, 21:56
    i didn't have enough time to sit down and construct a mixtapes-worth of songs for the geek theme, so i went with the parentheses instead.

a lot of these songs are from my earlier days of music, so there's a nostalgic feel there for me. quite a mix of styles too, from co-dependent emo to emotive death doom metal. and like many mixes i make, i didn't start out with a theme, but one sort of emerged. enjoy.

A Parenthetical Situation
    01 Taking Back Sunday: Cute Without the 'E' (Cut From the Team)
    02 Poison the Well: Loved Ones ((Excerpts From Speeches of How Great You Were, and Will Never Be Again)
    03 Plumb: Sobering (Don't Turn Around)
    04 Bright Eyes: Take it Easy (Love Nothing)
    05 Murder by Death: You Are the Last Dragon (You Possess the Glow)
    06 Dalek: Asylum (Permanent Underclass)
    07 Daughters: Our Queens (One is Many, Many is One)
    08 Piano Magic: You Can Never Get Lost (When You've Nowhere to Go)
    09 Emery: By All Accounts (Today Was a Disaster)
    10 Norma Jean: Charactarantula (Talking to You and the Intake of Glass)
    11 Training For Utopia: Everything, Including the Stars, Is Falling (Baby)
    12 Virgin Black: Lacrimosa (I Am Blind With Weeping)

listen to the noise i make and leave me a comment about it.
    check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com
  • vitreus:

Kudos on the Daughters track! My favorite album of the year so far – too bad they broke up...

• vitreus schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Apr. 2010, 6:43
    cthulubelle said:
    vitreus:

Kudos on the Daughters track! My favorite album of the year so far – too bad they broke up...

yeah it's fucking awesome.

and they're not quite broken up...read this shit. \o/

listen to the noise i make and leave me a comment about it.
    check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com
    • nikkyeahh schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Apr. 2010, 22:10

Geek Kamasutra

DOWNLOAD LINK

Tracklist:

1. The Touch– Stan Bush
    2. Super Mario Bros.- Mr. Bun­gle
    3. Rush– Big Audio Dyna­mite II
    4. Through Being Cool– Devo
    5. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life– Monty Python
    6. Cleve­land Rocks– Pres­i­dents of the United Stated States of Amer­ica
    7. Yoda– Weird Al Yankovic
    8. My Wave– Soundgar­den
    9. 5/4– Goril­laz
    10. 15 Step– Radio­head
    11. Born To Love Vol­canos– Dead Milk­men
    12. Sci­ence Fric­tion — XTC
    13. Reboot– Opti­mus Rhyme
    14. Kurt’s Rejoin­der– Brian Eno
    15. Nev­erend­less Story Theme
    16. In the Garage– Weezer
    17. ytcracker — what you net
    18. Mess Me Up– Nobunny
    19. fiNaL faN­taSy x tHemE soNg — Lee soo youNG

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.