Genre Finder

• Genre Finder

OK so I needed a project for my A levels and I thought I'd make one by nabbing some feeds from last.fm.

It basically shows you what 'percentage' of a certain tag (or, as I put in the write up, genre) you are.

Site and here is the direct link to newest version (~130kb, 0.2.2 - at time-of-posting)

Requires:
    Windows (tested on XP and Vista) - no mac/*nix version sorry!
    Microsoft's .NET Framework 2 (or higher)

To install: copy .exe to a suitable directory (although desktop will do) and run.

To un-install just delete the 'data' folder, the '.config' file and the .exe.

Problems?

I'm going to post up a set of todos and known issues soon, although I'm fairly certain that this one wont crash*.

*Note: that may be a lie. ;)

cheers, mike

Bearbeitet von MikeManger am 12. Aug. 2008, 16:36
    • Ton87 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Mai. 2007, 23:24
    I get the following error when I try to open the program:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

• Crazy.. What version of the .NET framework do you have? I'm 99% certain that it requires 2.something, but I'm thinking of removing any links with that - or just make it so that you only need the 1st one.

I can't test it out as I have .NET 3.

Thanks.

• Ton87 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Mai. 2007, 12:31
    Where can I see which version my PC has got?

• Best way that comes to mind is:
    'Go to your Control Panel
    'Wait windows to find everything...
    'On the default tab (change or remove programs..) hunt for the entry 'Microsoft .NET Framework SOMETHING'.
    '(if)After you find it, don't go un-installing it or anything. ;)

Cheers.

EDIT: I'm pretty certain that you don't have the .NET Framework installed at all, normally it'll give you a more constructive error when it is installed but an older version (0xc0000135 doesn't sound too constructive to me!).

I'll make a mental note and update the site.. of course, -if- you want to install .NET 2.0 it would be nice to see if that fixes it.

• Kimik0 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Jun. 2007, 15:09
    Is there an online version of this thing? I don't have Windows..

Kimiko (希身子)

• Kimik0 said:
    Is there an online version of this thing? I don't have Windows..

No, not currently.. but I've tried removing all references to .net and running it with wine, which seemed to almost work.

The 2.0 .NET API of Mono is actually mostly complete, so I'll have a look at that in due course.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Jun. 2007, 0:16
    Hm.. I'm only 24.1% rock... WAAAAAAI

On a serious note, wow, that's a really good idea. And very well materialized.

• Benutzer
    • 10. Jun. 2007, 16:29
    excellent little prog there mate - really nice idea for those curious to know...

dave is:

11.8% metal!
    0.1% pop
    0.0% gay

thats great to know :)

• Cheers. :D

I've added a tun of new stuff for the next version, its 99% done - just one very annoying bug which I plan to fix after my exams (20th June-ish).

(Perhaps) the best new - quite possibly original - feature is the inclusion of an (editable) blacklist.. this means that offensive tags and the ultimate non-genre tag 'seen live' (which is incredibly the second most used tag here on L.F) are removed from the results to give a more actuate percentage.

• wonder_al schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Jun. 2007, 3:12
    It goes kaboom when it hits "Weird Al" Yankovic.

• wonder_al said:
    It goes kaboom when it hits "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Thanks, simple fix for that coming into the next version.

• Ton87 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Jul. 2007, 17:19
    Hey man, I forgot all about it!

I had no .net framework installed. I've just installed .net 2 and now I can open the program.

• Ton87 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Jul. 2007, 17:40
    Too bad the program crashes on every special character. It won't go further than my 24th artist, Big Brother & The Holding Company. I hope you'll fix it soon, 24 is way too few to calculate a representative percetage. But I think even 50 is not enough, why is it actually limited?

• Benutzer
    • 2. Jul. 2007, 10:55
    Well I don't know why, but every time I set the artist number to more than the default (25) the program hangs...

• In short: I need to do more testing before releases. Which is why it has being a while since I updated. :-)

Ton87 said:
    Too bad the program crashes on every special character. It won't go further than my 24th artist, Big Brother & The Holding Company. I hope you'll fix it soon, 24 is way too few to calculate a representative percetage. But I think even 50 is not enough, why is it actually limited?

New version fixes the '&' character problem as well as the '"' one.

50 artists is, sadly, the limit of last.fm's .xml feed(s). I know that some people have found work-arounds, but they require a lot more processing.

I have, however, made a sort of 'half' work-around for this problem - allowing you to select which charts you want to use (e.g. overall (default), 12/6/3 monthly).

Another way of evening things out is an (optional) algorithm that takes into account how many plays an artist has. But this has delayed me releasing (coding is fun...).

@Neotrunxas: I'm 90% certain that this is a school-boy-error on my part and is already fixed for the next version. Better connection 'time-out' handling is also coded in.

Cheers for the feed back.

• MCRKelly schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 8. Jan. 2008, 17:14
    I have downloaded everything but I don't understand how to start it?

• So just saw this on the new build part of last.fm and I'm motivated to take another look at the code when I go home for Easter break.

MCRKelly: there is only one file you need to download: just run (click) on the .exe then enter a (your) username in the top box and a gener in the lower box. I think some of the UI (e.g. 'enter your username here') is lost in Vista. I'll look at a possible start menue installer.

• Tried to run this on OS X with Mono 1.9

The program runs, you can enter your name and a genre. But crashes when you hit the button. Trace:

poley:Downloads henk$ mono GenrePercentage_Current.exe
    2008-03-19 10:59:14.156 mono[690:10b] WARNING: CFSTR("Downloading artist/Fr\37777777703\37777777651d\37777777703\37777777651ric Chopin/toptags.xml") has non-7 bit chars, interpreting using MacOS Roman encoding for now, but this will change. Please eliminate usages of non-7 bit chars (including escaped characters above \177 octal) in CFSTR().

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidCastException: Cast to type 'Currency' is not valid.
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.FormatNumber (System.Object Expression, Int32 NumDigitsAfterDecimal, TriState IncludeLeadingDigit, TriState UseParensForNegativeNumbers, TriState GroupDigits) [0x00000]
    at GenrePercentage.Main.GetGenres () [0x00000]
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) GenrePercentage.Main:GetGenres ()
    at GenrePercentage.Main.GoCMB_Click (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mevent) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.DispatchMessage (System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.DispatchMessage (System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000]
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000]
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun () [0x00000]
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run (System.String[] commandLine) [0x00000]
    at GenrePercentage.My.MyApplication.Main (System.String[] Args) [0x00000]

• Alexy05 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Apr. 2008, 13:24
    good work !!

33,4% rock
    7,2% folk
    6% pop
    1,9% hard rock
    1,4% indie
    0,5% metal

Live fast, love hard, die young ...

Be yourself, by yourself...
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Okt. 2008, 22:36
    WOW. I don't think this program could be anymore useless. Maximum 50 artists? What's the point?

• ha thanks for that matey! Shame Last.fm's API wont just 'give' you your 860 unique artists that you listen to day in day out.

Anyway I'm going to implement LastFmLib.net which should address that issue.

Cheerio.

• s_ergiu23 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Nov. 2008, 16:13
    I am 36.8% rock
    Rage Against the Machine Alice in Chains Bloodhound Gang Nirvana Jimi Hendrix KoЯn Faithless Guns N' Roses H-Blockx Billy Idol

• ehh...it used about my top 10 artists, most of which i removed from my library because it was out of date. so pretty useless for me.

• hey,

how about something that just tells you what your top genres are?
    that would be pretty cool.
    (or maybe there's already something here, I might just be being stupid)

but have to say I'm impressed, I don't reckon I would have known how to do that when I was doing my A levels!

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.