what could make soundamus even better?

• Demonice schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Dez. 2008, 16:53

what could make soundamus even better?

hello!
    I absolutely love soundamus! however I thought I'd make a thread about how it could be improved!

here are my two suggestions:
    1) create a filter for certain artist, especially the classical ones. there are a million classical releases every day that aren't really interesting (no new music by dead composers, also the releases are mostly just compilations of their most famous works) and they totally clog up the list.

2) remove artist from soundamus when they're removed from the users last.fm library. for instance, I recently deleted the artist Future sound of london from my library, but still I keep getting their new releases in my list. please make soundamus keep up with these changes!

thats all, thanks for looking :)

• Tecfan schrieb...
    • Event Moderator
    • 12. Dez. 2008, 15:36
    add the ability to use 3, 6 and 12 month charts. it is really simple, and VERY useful. I HATE everything I listened to 2 years ago

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 15. Dez. 2008, 6:48
    Demonice said:
    2) remove artist from soundamus when they're removed from the users last.fm library.
    Soundamus was implemented before the library feature was added to Last.fm, it is currently using weekly charts. I agree with the suggestion, and should update the service to use the library feature.

Tecfan said:
    add the ability to use 3, 6 and 12 month charts. it is really simple, and VERY useful. I HATE everything I listened to 2 years ago
    The 3/6/12 month chart data that Last.fm returns from it's API is limited to the top 50 artists, which in my view is very limiting for this type of service. I prefer to keep only the full library with the option of deleting artists. Still, if more people would like only top 50 artists from a certain period, I would consider adding this as a filter

new and upcoming music releases from the artists you listen to
    http://www.soundamus.net
  • I would love it if there was an option of selecting only new releases by the user's top 50 artists, would make this a very useful tool!

Cheers

• Ahotep schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Jan. 2009, 21:39
    i agree with all of you guys, I hope we 'll be heard!

Ahotep
  • Just a quick idea: I love the RSS feeds but how about having individual RSS feeds based on album type? That way, it would be possible to have a separate feed for albums, singles and vinyls.

The idea being that I probably already have the albums of my favorite artists and except for a few artists I really like I'm probably not too interested in getting the singles as well. With separate feeds I could just subscribe to the "album" and "vinyl" feeds and check the "singles" feed when I feel like it.

Thanks.

• smeeagain schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Feb. 2009, 10:22

Favourite artists

I have to agree with rjgexplode above - great service, but it would be more useful if it listed new stuff from my FAVOURITE artists (top 50 or top 100 or whatever) rather than everyone I listen to. I seem to get recommendations for albums from artists I've only listened to once or twice and wouldn't consider buying.

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 10. Mär. 2009, 6:59

an update

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions, I appreciate you spending the time to share ideas on improving soundamus.

Soundamus has been using your library to get artist lists for about a month now: if you delete an artist from your library you should no longer see releases from that artist on soundamus. After deleting an artist from your library, give it a bit of time to see the result, soundamus updates your artist list about once a week.

Soundamus now also gives the option to create a feed based on your top artists only. This can be top 50, 100, 500, or whatever. Your monthly recommendations will still be based on your complete library, however.

I will keep you up to date on more improvements to come. Please continue to share your feedback here.

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 25. Mär. 2009, 12:21

Re: what could make soundamus even better?

Demonice said:
    1) create a filter for certain artist...
    Now possible. Thanks again for the feedback.

• Demonice schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 25. Mär. 2009, 15:12
    many, many thanks :)

• Re: Re: what could make soundamus even better?

behlert said:
    Demonice said:
    1) create a filter for certain artist...
    Now possible. Thanks again for the feedback.

Very cool. Thanks a lot.

• Funny thing, just wondered if there is such thing as Soundamus or if I need to develop it myself. Good work. :)

It would be nice to have more advanced filters, e.g. for double releases, I don't really see the need to be informed of "Mando Diao - Give Me Fire" and "Mando Diao - Give Me Fire (Ltd.Deluxe Edt.)" - but I'm sure there are people out there who like that current behaviour. So it may be a good idea to provide it still optional.

Secondary and similarly, there are multiple feeds which are somehow basically the same, just differ a bit in spelling or release date. I'd like you to think of an method to filter that out as well.

As already mentioned above, it is definitely a smart idea to be able to opt for your own media of choice (CD, mp3, vinyl etc).

Analogue to that, I would appreciate to choose the kind of releases to be informed about. Some people just want albums, others singles as well and compilations with favourite bands because they can discover that way new artist they may like and so on.

I know this won't be easy because the used data vary a lot in quality and detailedness, but think of it and express your concerns so we can discuss it. :)

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 28. Mär. 2009, 3:36
    BetaBomber, I agree with every one of your concerns. In fact, these are the most frustrating issues for me, and they all relate to dealing with a lot of mess in the source data, especially from Amazon. Soundamus already uses a number of tricks to filter and merge releases, so that you only see about half of the raw data.

BetaBomber said:
    It would be nice to have more advanced filters, e.g. for double releases, I don't really see the need to be informed of "Mando Diao - Give Me Fire" and "Mando Diao - Give Me Fire (Ltd.Deluxe Edt.)" ... it is definitely a smart idea to be able to opt for your own media of choice (CD, mp3, vinyl etc).
    My goal with soundamus is not to advertise every edition and format of every release, the intention is to notify you when an artist releases new material and give you appropriate links to further research that material. Once you see there is a new release on soundamus, you can find the format and edition you want through your favorite music retailer. So, if you are seeing multiple formats and editions of a release, it's a bug. I won't add an option for this, because it should never be there, it is a problem for me to fix. Last week I added some new filtering that should merge most special editions. This won't effect releases that were previously in the feed, only those that will be added in the future.

BetaBomber said:
    Analogue to that, I would appreciate to choose the kind of releases to be informed about.
    I agree this should be an option. However, I don't yet have accurate enough data to implement this. Once I work out reliable tagging of this information, you will see a filter based on release type: album, ep, single, compilation.

BetaBomber said:
    Secondary and similarly, there are multiple feeds which are somehow basically the same, just differ a bit in spelling or release date.
    Being someone that has always struggled with spelling, it pleases me to see that giants such as Amazon suffer the same handicap...keeping these multiple spellings in the feed is a boost to my self esteem.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

• fenter schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Apr. 2009, 18:38

Unicode

Apparently, the encoding for cyrillic (and probably unicode) characters is not working correctly when you enter the name of an artist manually. Try for example Ночные Снайперы.

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 7. Apr. 2009, 5:13

Re: Unicode

fenter said:
    Apparently, the encoding for cyrillic (and probably unicode) characters is not working correctly when you enter the name of an artist manually. Try for example Ночные Снайперы.
    Thanks fenter, the problem should be fixed now.

• Tecfan schrieb...
    • Event Moderator
    • 7. Apr. 2009, 14:29
    uhm. me again^^ I still have ~6000 artists in my library, so when I select only show releases from top X, I think that only those artists should be in the filter....

and i still want 3/6/12month ^^

• I notice there is every amazon locale except japan.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/In-English/b?ie=UTF8&node=1094656

I also suspcet this is related to the a lack of unicode support.

Both would be nice.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 9. Apr. 2009, 2:00
    Kerensky97 said:
    I notice there is every amazon locale except japan.
    There is also no Amazon Canada. This has nothing to do with unicode support, I just haven't implemented queries on these sources. The unicode problem was only a mistake with http headers and should be fixed. If JP releases make it on other sources, they should show up correctly. But yes, Amazon JP should be added.

Tecfan said:
    uhm. me again^^
    Top of the list...

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 19. Apr. 2009, 8:54

soundamus update

Tecfan said:
    uhm. me again^^ I still have ~6000 artists in my library, so when I select only show releases from top X, I think that only those artists should be in the filter....

and i still want 3/6/12month ^^
    Soundamus now lets you create feeds based on your 3/6/12 month rolling charts. This can be combined with the "top n" feature, for example to create a feed for the top 100 artists of your 6 month chart. The list of artists on artist filter page now also reflects the selection of these options. Email subscriptions as well. Thanks Tecfan for your persistent feedback.

There is also now a basic flagging feature to help you organize releases on the web interface. You can flag individual releases, removing them from the main feed, and review releases by tag. Three basic fixed tags are provided, to mark releases that you want, already have, or want to ignore. I am still debating whether or not to allow custom user flags, so feel free to share your feedback on this.

Please let me know if you see any problems or have any other feedback.

• Tecfan schrieb...
    • Event Moderator
    • 19. Apr. 2009, 9:49
    thanks, now this service is starting to look really good. finally I get relevant albums \o/

the only thing I miss now is a favicon :D

• Joffi222 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Jul. 2009, 22:57

Filter for localized Amazon.x and other vendors

e.g. amazon.com amazon.de amazon.co.uk amazon.fr iTunes emusic etc

Anything listed in Amazon.de has never been anything I need see; to be able to remove that by adding it to a filter such as the artist name filter, would rock.

I'm sure those that never use iTunes or emusic would love that too.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Jul. 2009, 0:45

Re: what could make soundamus even better?

Demonice said:
    hello!
    I absolutely love soundamus! however I thought I'd make a thread about how it could be improved!

here are my two suggestions:
    1) create a filter for certain artist, especially the classical ones. there are a million classical releases every day that aren't really interesting (no new music by dead composers, also the releases are mostly just compilations of their most famous works) and they totally clog up the list.

thats all, thanks for looking :)

Definitely agreeing with the first point!

I am tired of seeing hundreds of (useless) releases like this:

Thanks,
    McoreD

• Demonice schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Aug. 2009, 9:41
    another suggestion:

display the 4-5 most popular tags for each album that soundamous find. this will make the recommended page and my friends page much more interesting as i'll want to check out music with interesting-looking tags :)

• behlert schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 1. Sep. 2009, 12:30
    I appreciate the continued feedback... filter on vendor, display tags.... definitely.

I am working on some updates, should put them live sometime during the next few weeks. Will let you know here.

• Noodles25 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Sep. 2009, 21:14
    I'd also like to see the ability to remove amazon.fr and amazon.de from my list. Also the ability to filter out singles.

At the moment I have a few releases that say they were released in Aug, but amazon.com says they're not released until October. I checked each source and amazon.de has it listed, but at 30 Euros. So it'd be nice to just be able to stick to your local store.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.