this music. why you're here.

• this music. why you're here.

So what was the band that started it all for you?
    How did you end start listening to such badass beats?
    Even if it was the fact that you listened to shitty recent wave emo, and you wanted the crem de le crem, tell your story.

For me, it was 7th grade. I dont know how long ago that was. I'm pretty much 20 now. I was lying in bed, suppose to be asleep. I had a walkman playing, and I picked up UNH's radio station.

The current DJ was gushing and gushing about the new release from Texas's At The Drive In. Relationship of Command had just been released, I think. The DJ threw on One Armed Scissor and Invalid Litter Dept, or whatever.
    Needless to say, I was hooked and ended up really really looking into the music and the genre more in highschool.

Of course ATDI isn't like the most legit of emo, and is arguably a cross over of a lot of things, but needless to say when I also got into Piebald in highschool I really started looking into the genre very strictly and ended up on Last.FM.

The rest was history. :3

• I honestly can't remember. Maybe I was pissed off that everyone called MCR emo so I went on the Wiki to find out what emo really was and checked out some of the bands they listed...

• loccer schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Jul. 2009, 17:31
    I started listening to Bullet For My Valentine because it was the favorite band of my best friend. (The early songs of them.) Then after a search for Screamo on youtube I found Underoath (I know it isn't Screamo) and listened to that. I still wasn't happy with what I found and after even more searching I found CTTS and it was the first band I actually liked a lot at that time. (That's also the reason why their still number one on my last.fm.)

Then I asked some guy that posted Screamo videos on YouTube for some suggestions and thanks to him and later last.fm I learned Screamo. Not to long after that I learned about Fugazi, Mineral, ... and eventually about bands like The Promise Ring and Algernon Cadwallader. (All via Last.fm.)

tl;dr - I used to listen to BFMV.

• lolBFMV

Thursday, Cross Out The Eyes more specifically. Loved it and started listening to them and Alexisonfire....then some 12 year old told me about Saetia and I downloaded a torrent with Saetia, I Hate Myself, Christie Front Drive, Boys Life, Pop Unknown, The Promise Ring, Cap'n Jazz....and I think that was it. Greatest torrent I ever came across....well maybe the pg.99 torrent was better, but that was later :3

But yeah :/ Coolest 12 year old elitist I've ever known and I never see him around anymore :c

Oh yeah, Braid and Joan of Arc was also in the torrent :3

ellen page, mostly.
  • bryanm1861 said:
    I honestly can't remember. Maybe I was pissed off that everyone called MCR emo so I went on the Wiki to find out what emo really was and checked out some of the bands they listed...

You have been judged so many times in the past Bryan.
    But perhaps this is the most difficult to see past. I cringed.
    Maybe even pooped a little.

You're lucky I love you like a brother.

• Dude, I was only like 14. Just be happy that it ever happened. Also I said I wasn't sure, I just think that that was most likely what happened. It could've been totally different... never trust my memory.

P.S: Get a diaper. It'll help you when that kind of stuff happens. ilu2 :)

• When I picked up the Get Up Kids' Four Minute Mile. And Jawbreaker's Dear You.

• I started with rites of spring and worked my way back

Unicorns know no regret
  • felvontavor said:
    I started with rites of spring and worked my way back

Like a boss, clearly.

• felvontavor said:
    I started with rites of spring and worked my way back

Kerosene 454.

Yeah. I went there. I napstered that shit.

It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey. - SK
  • That's it though? Where's the story man? Why Kerosene? Like let's hear the adventure, I'm not asking what your gateway drug was, I'm asking who what where when why how you got here.

• I went from rites of spring to the promise ring to fugazi/minor threat to mineral to screamo.

also, there was a lot of conor oberst in there somewhere

Unicorns know no regret
  • I was searching for music on the media markt website here in germany..I found a song called "A Crater To Cough In" I bought it.
    end of story

There is no happy here !
  • NekstBestThing said:
    That's it though? Where's the story man? Why Kerosene? Like let's hear the adventure, I'm not asking what your gateway drug was, I'm asking who what where when why how you got here.

Don't remember.

Somehow i remember i was looking for something... and one of my napster results were 'kerosene 454 - t minus 100'... and i was like, this is... great. i'll put this right next to my juliana theory song (yes, SONG) on my rio diamond 600

(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HFCBVZWJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg)

one of those... held 32 mb. it was SO AWESOME in high school. i was the only person with an mp3 player. now all the little fucks have one.

kerosene led to hoover. hoover led to fugazi. fugazi led to big black/shellac. big black/shellac led to cap'n jazz, capn' jazz led to everything else... this was all summer of like 1998... man, i feel old. i was a tiny little scrub at the time.

• had me some Weezer tickets one day long ago.

noticed the opening act was some band called The Get Up Kids.

downloaded Washington Square Park and Red Letter Day randomly on napster to get a sense of what they were all about.

pressed 'play.'

was never the same from that moment on.

-----------

finally i passed the point of no return when i subsequently saw the The Get Up Kids come on their own tour shortly aftwards.

The Appleseed Cast opened for them.

they played Steps and Numbers [still my favorite song of all time].

since then....every day has been a futile attempt at re-obtaining that feeling.

a testament to the spirit of DIY: Navy School - last.fm / myspace
  • Sounds legit. I like the stories though. I think it's really interesting to see how we all ended up in more or less the same place despite having taken very different paths. Man 1998 is so legit though, because you still had the opportunity to sink your teeth into at least part of the scene before it died. And you, Illinois? That was the right area for sure too.

• agreed

a testament to the spirit of DIY: Navy School - last.fm / myspace
  • it's sad that the emo genre almost died and is abused in this way today...really sad

There is no happy here !
  • ILikeYourSuit said:
    it's sad that the emo genre almost died and is abused in this way today...really sad

Off topic.

• arilitt schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Jul. 2009, 2:55
    When I was in 7th grade it was around 1993-94 and Grunge was still popular. I was into Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... I also enjoyed some classic rock. In 8th grade music really started to go down hill. I got Dookie by Green Day, and discovered punk rock. From there I got into more punk rock and then Ska. I was listening to Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, The Pist, Minor Threat... Then I heard some "emo" stuff and I liked it. I think it was the crossover emo/punk or emo/hardcore like Lifetime or Hot Water Music. From there I got into The Promise Ring, Cap'n Jazz, The Get Up Kids, Tuesday, and Texas is the Reason. After that I was hooked. I just started buying as much shit up as I could

I want to taste dirty, stinging pistol
    In my mouth, on my tongue
    I want you to scrape me from the walls
    And go crazy like you've made me
  • NekstBestThing sagte:
    ILikeYourSuit said:
    it's sad that the emo genre almost died and is abused in this way today...really sad

Off topic.

it was a sequel to your post

There is no happy here !
  • Glassjaw have been my favourite band for about 8 years now and they got me into hardcore which lead me onto Envy who then lead me to Euro screamo, 90's emo etc...

• NekstBestThing said:
    Sounds legit. I like the stories though. I think it's really interesting to see how we all ended up in more or less the same place despite having taken very different paths. Man 1998 is so legit though, because you still had the opportunity to sink your teeth into at least part of the scene before it died. And you, Illinois? That was the right area for sure too.

Napster was my god. I think it's also funny the path people take to get here, and what point of emo do you actually start?

Oh shit. I forgot Brandtson. Ninevah. That one REALLY did me in.

I think that might be top 10 on my all time 'have listened to' songs. I think i listened to that song every day in 8th grade and high school... back when they used to be louder... and rougher... mineral and hum esque for those of you who've never heard the album letterbox. if you have, and you had it. send me plz, i lost it years ago in my many moves.

I used to have...
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HFCBVZWJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

had 10 songs on there.

Guatemala, moss icon (track 1)
    Parking Lot, Mineral (track 2)
    Something by Pedro the Lion, maybe like longest winter (track 3)
    Say it ain't so by weezer (track 4)
    the aformentioned song, ninevah (which was track 5)
    TGUK red letter day (track 6)
    black milk, massive attack (track 7)
    mezzanine, massive attack (track 8)
    lopez, 808 state (track 9)
    angry son, indian summer (track 10)

it was BOSS.

yes. i do realize there is massive attack on there. massive attack kicks ass. go fuck yourself.

• well i was a pretty normal 13 year old boy who listened to bullet for my valentine on repeat until i could recite the breakdowns with my nose, but when i was in grade 10 a new kid came to school and he showed me a few bands like bright eyes, cursive, alexisonfire, etc. i know most of you probably wouldnt associate these bands with anything emo but they are what sorta led me down that path.

• At about the same time I had just started listening to The Dismemberment Plan's Emergency & I and Change a friend of mine who had recently started listening to Cap'n Jazz showed me "Yes, I Am Talking To You" which I sort of fell in love with immediately. I clearly remember telling him "Cap'n Jazz sounds like the band I've been looking for for years" after hearing that and Basil's Kite (which is still my favorite song of theirs) a few times. That led me to American Football, and...
    NekstBestThing said:
    The rest was history. :3
    ...Though I still have a long long way to go. But I've been enjoying every minute of it, there really is no other genre like this. So real and raw and honest...

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.