What makes it psychedelic?

• What makes it psychedelic?

From all the recommendations ive seen, looks like people think loads of different things meet the term 'psychedelic'.

What is it that makes it psych?

Or maybe its one of those things you know but cant describe..

• analogonz schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Apr. 2008, 14:46
    if you get a great trip out of mushroom when you listen to them?

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Apr. 2008, 23:18
    "Or maybe its one of those things you know but cant describe.. "

It's hard to describe, but you know when something sounds psych or not.

• What makes something psychedelic for me. Too feel that your in a diff place our a larg mass of diff sounds forming a melody......But drugs do help.

• analogonz schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Apr. 2008, 4:39
    drugzz

• rezzzz schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Apr. 2008, 1:54
    music that evokes something in you... sometimes something dream-like...transporting...sometimes unfamiliar, sometimes familiar...it's hard to describe, and it encompasses many, more specific, genres.

• Lavajato schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Apr. 2008, 7:06
    psych is a term difficult to explain as "experimental"

• hmm, i dunno, Experimental music most often means trying to explore new sounds in music, its only vague because its been tagged in the wrong places so many times

• It is pretty hard to describe the psychedelic sound to some people. When the phrase was first coined it was music that sounded good when you were tripping. Which most of the time was when the music had some weird-ass sound and dimension. Initially, Pink Floyd, Zappa, Beefheart and the Moody Blues were the first ones that did it for me.

• thats sorta what im thinking too, but its used really widely now so i guess its sorta expanded?

• Benutzer
    • 8. Apr. 2008, 22:13
    Thinking more about it, and the name is the exact definition of the description of the sound. Just any type of music that sounds like it could've been made on LSD, Psilocybin, DMT, or other psychedelic psychoactives. That might explain why it's so widely used now, as a lot of bands have that sound.

• Benutzer
    • 16. Apr. 2008, 19:44
    i think the drugs connection tends to be a bit trite, especially since nearly every kind of music (classical included) is better on drugs or could be thought of as having been created in the midst of a trip.

i personally think there are certain psychedelic earmarks that push something toward that association. things like heavy delay or other particularly thick effects are present in a lot of the psych i like. an airy quality or something that's reminiscent of being outdoors. this is what for me makes most folk psychedelic. certain instruments just reek of psychedelics--tampura, harmonium, B3 organ, etc. and then of course like some folks have mentioned, there's just an indescribable quality that makes it so. maybe it's the feeling of subtle carelessness that a musician communicates through the music.

• flashbleu schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Apr. 2008, 14:40
    Yeah, that's all about right. I guess it's music that sort of TAKES you somewhere through echo, sound effects, exotic instrumentation,etc. It's really hard to pin down, but you can hear a bit of music and think, that's very psychedelic. Maybe try listening to something that's definitely NOT psychedelic (Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, The Spice Girls) and compare the atmosphere.

put - him - in - the - curry
  • gOOD question

Defining the pychedelic quality is hard... i think essentially its music that suggested altered states of conciousness.

i think we can describe it as spaced-out music that progresses in way that takes you from wherever you are to other places.

it can be formless and repetitive, hypnotizing the listener taking them elsewhere. Psych music doesn't stay in everyday places... it takes those willing to travel on trips ya

• tjd9 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Mai. 2008, 2:34
    flashbleu said:
    Yeah, that's all about right. I guess it's music that sort of TAKES you somewhere through echo, sound effects, exotic instrumentation,etc. It's really hard to pin down, but you can hear a bit of music and think, that's very psychedelic. Maybe try listening to something that's definitely NOT psychedelic (Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, The Spice Girls) and compare the atmosphere.

I like that description - music that takes you somewhere. Somehow I doubt that someone listening the Whitney Houston can have the same experience as one listening to, say, Gandalf the Grey Wizard, or Danny Ben Israel or whatever psychedlic shit floats your boat.

Then again, maybe there are people who really do dig Whitney Houston or Billy Joel and listening to them brings on some cosmic experience. To each is own.

• ZSRR schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Aug. 2008, 17:52
    The real psychedelic music is for me when I can forget about everything around me and just focus on the sounds, like I start floating in non-reality. Something that makes me feel trippy even if I'm completely sober. Echoes and reverb help a lot too.

It can be any genre, actually. It doesn't have to be strictly psychedelic. It can even be black metal or noise music, if it makes me drown in the sound.

I Trust My Guitar, Etc.
    • Congzi schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Aug. 2011, 9:03

Sitar often creats a dizzy environment.

• xdreamx19 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Sep. 2011, 3:43
    2 things made music psychedelic: 1) improvisations - journeys through spontaneous creating structures that show absolute freedom of psychedelic trips... look how many jams can be heard in 70's hippie rock; 2) effects - all history of psychedelic music is history of sound effects: wah-wah, fuzz, delayer, phaser etc and not only in rock but in electronic too("acid" tb-300, ambient "echo", lots of analog synth effects). so most mind-altering genres are all forms of psychedelic rock(acid rock, krautrock, space rock, stoner rock) and psychedelic trance(acid trance, darkpsy, goa trance, psychill) and of course major influences like ambient, german pioneers of electronic, free jazz, raga

• DROWHN schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Okt. 2011, 10:19
    When you've had a serious trip, you'll know. You just hear it. Once you've opened your third eye, it never closes.

• Good psych for me has atmosphere (usually with the recording quality)

I'm not signing anything until I speak to a solicitor.
  • Back in the 60's it meant the song had some Eastern instruments, lol.

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.

-Hunter S. Thompson
  • If you feel like you can climb inside of the music, it's psychedelic.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.