The recommendation thread!

• The recommendation thread!

Announce upcoming bands, albums.

Post your most loved tracks and videos, throw your recommendations, post music videos etc etc.

Bearbeitet von lamniformes am 21. Apr. 2010, 22:13
  • Limit Zero - Limit Zero , December 2009

Limit Zero is a studio project from Bangalore , India. Formed in late 2008 by Shreyas Skandan, the project hadn’t made any progress until early 2009 when Sachin Rajmohan (Kaashmora) joined the project as vocalist. The idea behind Limit Zero was to unify various genres and sounds to create one melodic soundscape with a hint of brutality, and a concept that focuses on Space, Gravity and other interstellar uncertainties.

Limit Zero’s first release – A self titled 3 track demo EP is out. It is available for free download.

Here is the link to the full interview and download.
    http://indianrockmp3.com/2009/12/24/limit-zero-bangalore-download-interview/

The CD cover was designed by Jon Allen (www.joneallen.com) and the CD was mixed and mastered by Rex Rocker from these boards!

• Malice

Malice from karnata, india

Well there was this short lived project that involved bagpipes. You can listen to them here. www.myspace.com/maliceindia ...... by calm_tempest

Thought I will dump this post here.

• Demonstealer - Seething Pain That Leaves No Scars

Hey, are there any official music videos brought out by any of the bands? I have not really searched on this yet, but if you know any, please make a post.

• Global Metal : India

• Rock On! - An interesting review

Well. This group is supposed to be all metal. But this is kinda too interesting.

Rock On is the only movie so far themed on the rock scene in india. Recently, I came across a very "interesting" review of the movie. I will post it here.

Honestly, I think this review was ridiculous and actually humorous.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/sep/09/rockon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock On!! rocks like a granny in a chair

o Nirpal Dhaliwal
    o guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 September 2008 09.19 BST
    o Article history

In a country where most people are too hungry to sing and already have metal buried in them, the idea of sticking a safety pin through your nose doesn't seem like such a big deal. Small wonder India's first rock film is so lame

India is currently thronging with wannabe rock acts. A friend of mine, who's researching a book on contemporary Indian youth culture, knows of three hundred bands in Bangalore alone. India's iPod generation is in thrall to Bryan Adams, Metallica et al, and this has lead to the creation of India's first rock movie, Rock On!!, which is as lame as the title suggests.

Filled with big-screen debutantes (Farhan Akhtar, Arjun Rampal, Prachi Desai and Luke Kenny), the film is a humourless, soulless combination of Thirtysomething and Spinal Tap, focusing on four former band members who left music behind to become tedious middle-class squares. The film is split between their younger years when they pursued their dreams and the present, where they're presented as jaded, wistful romantics who regret having sold themselves out for a life of conventional affluence. But the truth is that they never made it because their band, Magik, sucked – big time! Sentimental, anodyne and bereft of any radical edge, their music rocks but only like a granny in a chair.
    Rock On!!

This movie presents everything I hate most about modern India's MTV-addicted middle-class youth. Their desperate, pretentious efforts at looking hip and modern seep through this movie like effluent from a leaking toilet: chin-beards and over-stylised haircuts, faux-grunge designer outfits, empty postures of rebellion, over-enthusiastic pseudo-laddish camaraderie and stupid nicknames (the drummer calls himself KD, short for "Killer Drummer").

In the west, it's long been acknowledged that the only respectable reason for forming a band is to become famous, get out of your skull on drugs and have sex with battalions of groupies. That nihilistic hedonism is the energy that has spurred every great band – The Stones, The Sex Pistols, through to Oasis. But India's mollycoddled bourgeois hipsters, who all live with their mums, seem to do it only for the backslapping fun of it, before marrying nice girls and sinking into cushy careers.
    Rock On!!

Rock music in India isn't spawned by the rage of the poor and dispossessed, as it so often is in the West. Here, it is exclusively the pastime of English-speaking, privately-educated rich kids. Hence, there will never be anything like punk in India. Indeed, when you encounter a beggar like the one who lives beneath an underpass near me, who keeps a half-inch-thick metal bolt thrust into his deep tricep and shoves his suppurating wound into your face in order to extract a few extra rupees, the idea of defiantly sticking a safety pin through your nose doesn't seem like such a big deal. India is a country in which Nirvana-loving rich kids have their pretentious heads up their butts and the poor ones are too hungry to think straight, let alone start a band that expresses their condition.

What I found so offensive about this movie is that India provides thousands of reasons for young people to be angry every day and compel them to create a youth culture which channels and manifests that emotion. Instead, it produces weak trash like this, steering as clear from the ugliness of India's reality as possible – the antithesis of the rock spirit. The plot fixates on the boring marital and professional problems of these dorks, trying to add a modicum of schmaltzy depth by giving one of them cancer. There's even a ridiculous subplot in which one of the characters, suffering from artistic poverty, is reduced to making his wife sell fish for a living, when it's patently obvious that both are educated enough to mimic a home counties accent and get jobs in a call-centre.

Here in India, I find myself listening to British bands all time, much more than I do in the UK. Joy Division, The Cure and The Smiths somehow articulate the anger, melancholy and haunting beauty of what I see around me everyday. If only Indian groups could do the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Rock On! - An interesting review (2)

This is a reaction to the review above. No offense meant to anyone. But the reaction made me chuckle too.
    http://bhaskarspace.blogspot.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Sir,

I went through your review on the movie ROCK ON at http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/sep/09/rockon, and I would like to express my views on the same.

I'll start by addressing this to Mr. Dhaliwal himself. APPARENTLY you have a much skewed perception of the Indian Rock Scenario or shall I say the Indian Rock Underground and so does your friend who's researching a book on contemporary Indian youth culture. I would like to comment on various sections of your review.

"The film is split between their younger years when they pursued their dreams and the present, where they're presented as jaded, wistful romantics who regret having sold themselves out for a life of conventional affluence. But the truth is that they never made it because their band, Magik, sucked – big time! Sentimental, anodyne and bereft of any radical edge, their music rocks but only like a granny in a chair."

Do you have any idea, sir, how true this is? The movie shows exactly what happens in India. People who make bands, and follow their passion for rock, ultimately face the fact that ROCK MUSIC in India DOES NOT HAVE A FUTURE! Purely because money hungry producers go for stupid, lousy and NOISY music which has a local buzz rather than a genre which hasn't been explored fully yet. Has it ever dawned to you that MAYBE the music in the film was purposely composed in a way which was strictly hard rock??? Despite rock music's low popularity in India the tracks are hits, even with the "non-rock listening" audience. Apparently you are the only one with a view that the music sucked which it didn't. Some of the best musicians in India contributed to the tracks of the film. The music sticks to the "Rock Genre" and yet caters to the taste of the “general” Indian Audience.

"This movie presents everything I hate most about modern India's MTV-addicted middle-class youth. Their desperate, pretentious efforts at looking hip and modern seep through this movie like effluent from a leaking toilet: chin-beards and over-stylised haircuts, faux-grunge designer outfits, empty postures of rebellion, over-enthusiastic pseudo-laddish camaraderie and stupid nicknames (the drummer calls himself KD, short for "Killer Drummer")."

Do only pretentious Brit Born Indians like yourselves or Westerners have a right to make efforts to look stylish and hip? Chin-Beards?? What the hell is wrong with that? Why does it make anyone Wannabe-ish? “Desperate, Pretentious Efforts???” Who makes you the judge of that? “Empty postures of rebellion??” Perhaps you have absolutely no idea of the Indian Rock Underground.

“In the west, it's long been acknowledged that the only respectable reason for forming a band is to become famous, get out of your skull on drugs and have sex with battalions of groupies. That nihilistic hedonism is the energy that has spurred every great band–The Stones, The Sex Pistols, through to Oasis. But India's mollycoddled bourgeois hipsters, who all live with their mums, seem to do it only for the backslapping fun of it, before marrying nice girls and sinking into cushy careers.”

Oh, I think its time to feel sorry for the “Wannabe-ish Indian Rock Acts” who do not form a band only to indulge in nihilistic hedonism. It is half-baked presumptions such as yours that are responsible for the surge of wannabes in any rock scenario. “Sex, Drugs and Rock n roll” is just a phrase now, most bands now concentrate more on the quality of their music, and perhaps you don’t know that. And yeah, it is true that they live with their mums and dads, but I would like to point to the fact that 99% of the youngsters who try and persuade rock as a career are FORCED by family and peers to take up cushy careers not to mention music producers who want remixes in rock albums as shown in the movie.

“Rock music in India isn't spawned by the rage of the poor and dispossessed, as it so often is in the West. Here, it is exclusively the pastime of English-speaking, privately-educated rich kids. Hence, there will never be anything like punk in India.”

“Rage of the poor???” Have you EVER been to India? I am sure you have, but maybe you were TOO busy to notice that the “poor” in India DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, neither are they brought up in conditions that make them appreciate something as refined as rock music, and yes only the rich can appreciate rock music, simply because they UNDERSTAND the LANGUAGE! I’m really not sure how or most importantly, WHY, you would expect a rickshaw wallah or a common milkman to understand rock music, or considering an absolutely impossible attempt to form a rock band!

I would like to mention the fact that I find your review horrendous and offensive to the Indian audience and most importantly to those who compete in one of the most competitive education systems to find respectable professions. I was born and brought up in this country, and founded and fronted a pioneer “Indian Rock” band named Descant. And I understand the hardships that any band in India has to go through to get record deals. We took 3 years to launch one EP titled MAD AMBITION. You were born and brought up in Britain, where a Brit Rock band hits the international rock scene every year. Coldplay, The Killers are the best examples. The same, sadly isn’t easy/true for and Indian Rock band. And I am not sure that you’ve EVER been a part of festivals such as the Great Indian Rock or I Rock or Hornbill Festival or Strawberry Fields. Your comments are purely based on a bird’s eye view of India and the Indian rock scene, something which is not expected from a reputed journalist like you. I suggest picking up a few copies of Rock Street Journal to understand what’s going on before writing absolutely lame reviews based purely on your prejudices about India.

Thanks and Regards

Anand Bhaskar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Vedic Metal

• Metal Documentaries

• Top 20 Indian Extreme Metal Band

• The Dead Metalhead

• Anyone know any indian metal bands that released an album this year? Or are releasing soon.

• xKSB schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 25. Mai. 2012, 10:03
    Heathen beast released a new EP. Check it out here. http://soundcloud.com/theheathenbeast

• @xksb : Thanks for that link. I am pathetic when it comes to checking out the latest releases

• Chaos

Chaos is a thrash metal band from Kerala.
    https://www.facebook.com/chaosindia

Their debut album 'Violent Redemption' will be out really soon. They released one song from the album. Its called "Merchant of Death'. Do check em out

http://soundcloud.com/chaosindia/merchant-of-death

Edit:
    They just came out with a new video for one of their tracks 'Game'

• SkyHarbor

• Skyharbor is wicked, saw them live opening for Lamb of god in Bangalore. Another great band is Bhayanak Maut if you haven't already em', check them out. Also anyone know where I can download their 2009 S/t album?

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.