Gig discussion

• Richaod schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Jan. 2008, 6:28

Gig discussion

I'm surprised no one ever started this thread before... so, gig discussion, while the forum's actually active!

Here's something to get us started. Feel free to write less lengthy answers than mine.
    First gig:
    Favourite gig:
    Looking forward to:
    Hoping for?

First gig: technically it was some random thing at Melbourne High... which was surprisingly good overall. As for recognizable bands, Horsell Common's Satellite Wonderland EP launch in 06, and Big Day Out last year.

Favourite gig: Kate Miller-Heidke Live at the Chapel. I managed to get two free tickets from her mailing list. The experience was amazing - we sat on beanbags about 5 meters away from her. Her opera vocals floored pretty much everyone, and some of the songs were hilarious - especially Australian Idol, which fulfilled one of my aspirations for live gigs.

Looking forward to: Dream Theater and Nightwish, on the 29th and 30th of January respectively. I won't be able to hear properly at school the day after. :D
    Also Little Birdy at the Corner Hotel in March, I'll be growing a beard for that one.

Hoping for: Radiohead? I probably won't be able to go due to Year 12. :(

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Jan. 2008, 11:09
    First gig: Evanescence in '04. God, that's embarassing.
    Favourite gig: Hard to say, Blind Guardian on sheer "HolyfuckIlovethisband merit", Dragonforce was easily the most energetic and Battles was just an incredible show.
    Looking forward to: Big Day Out in a few days, Dream Theater the night after.
    Hoping for? What aren't I hoping for. Opeth is definitely up there, Red Sparowes, Porcupine Tree.

• First Gig: A Superheist gig I organised for promotion and charity in my hometown.

Favorite Gig: Slayer and Mastodon.

Looking Forward Too: Yves Klein Blue on the 16th if I can make it..

Hoping For: Opeth, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Explosions in the Sky and Ulver to name a few. I am aware that there is an 'Explosions in the Sky' show coming up, but I don't have tickets :(:(:(:(

• laddo22 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Jan. 2008, 14:32
    First gig: Blink-182 :P
    Favourite gig: So far; Arch Enemy in tie with Foo Fighters
    Looking forward to: Dream Theater tomorrow!! As well as Nightwish the day after.
    Hoping for? Hoping to not have to wait another 22 years for Dream Theater to come back to Australia :P

Dream Team & Supercoach username: Chicko Rolls
    Follow the Collingwood Football Club? Check out My Group
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Jan. 2008, 11:57
    GreatCornholio1 said:

Man, I've got no interest in Slayer at all but I'm still kicking myself for missing Mastodon.

• dundez schrieb...
    • Alumni
    • 30. Jan. 2008, 17:18
    First gig: a police band when i was in Grade 5
    Favourite gig: Radiohead 03
    Looking forward to: Radiohead 08

Hoping for? Rage against the machine

• Corqueatsz said:
    GreatCornholio1 said:

Man, I've got no interest in Slayer at all but I'm still kicking myself for missing Mastodon.

Yeah, Mastodon were insane! I'd never heard of them until the concert, but now i'm a fan!

• Richaod schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Feb. 2008, 5:04
    GreatCornholio1 said:
    I'd never heard of them until the concert

>_>

I find them a lot more interesting than Slayer as well, though Blood Mountain is their only album I completely like.

Need to see them the next time they come. I want to know firsthand how Brann Dailor can be so good with such a small drumkit.

• First Gig = Ian Moss (cold chisel guitarist) live at the Spiegel Tent

Favourite Gig = Bob Dylan live at Rod Laver

Looking forward to = The next SiB gig and their eventual album release!

Hoping For = another Cat empire concert in fed square

• plattopus schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Apr. 2008, 1:45
    First gig: My first international band was Deep Purple on March 9th, 2001 (I still remember that date after all these years, how sad). I went with four high school mates,
    and it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I'd been to dozens of smaller local gigs at a local youth centre (I think I have a journal on my Last.fm with a big list of them), but that was my first large concert.

Favourite gig: Even though I haven't listened to their music in years, the Dream Theater show was a great night. A few other highlights have been Opeth, Metallica, and seeing the rise of Aussie bands like Karnivool, Cog, The Butterfly Effect and Dead Letter Circus from nobodies to national fame.

Looking forward to: Porcupine Tree.

Hoping for? A mewithoutYou full band tour would be fucking excellent. The acoustic stuff at Soundwave was OK but I really want to hear them as a band.

• subalien schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Apr. 2008, 1:38
    First gig: Prince & The New Power Generation in 1992. it was amazing show, Prince actually sounded better live than on album, blew me away.

Favourite gig: Smashing Pumpkins in 1996. Radiohead in 2003, Sigur Ros & Amiina in 2005. theres nothing like leaveing a gig and walking out and the music is still buzzing in your head! i love that feeling!!

Hoping for?: Would love to see Broadcast & Lali Puna...dont think they have ever been here.

• First Gig: My first gig was a local metal concert, but a pretty biggish band from South Australia was playing there, so it wasn't all just local stuff. I still don't like that this was my first ever gig, but still.

Favourite Gig: It's a tie between Buddy Guy (amazing blues guitarist, around before Hendrix, about 71 now) who I saw earlier this year, and the Foo Fighters (which I saw the night before last).

Looking Forward To: The Black Keys - I really wanted to go see them, but I'm not eighteen yet and I don't think I could be passed for one either. I'm really annoyed. I was also looking forward to Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and Bleeding Through (three of my favourite screamo-ish bands playing together) and it ended up being over eighteens as well. Queens of the Stone Age and Smashing Pumpkins were over eighteen too. I'm really ticked.

Hoping For: The Hives. I'm hoping that The Hives come to Melbourne and play a gig that isn't an over-eighteens one. And I wouldn't mind the Subways coming as well, but definitely the Hives. I would have also said The Black Keys, but they're already coming.

• Benutzer
    • 7. Mai. 2008, 2:09
    I'd just like to point out that two of the three bands I was hoping for - Porcupine Tree and Opeth - have either been here or announced plans to come since I posted that.
    Any tour organisers that might be reading this thread, Red Sparowes. Make it happen.

• Richaod schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Mai. 2008, 9:54
    I'm so going to Opeth, I'm actually going to be 18 by then! :D

Also considering Sigur Ros (though it's at Festival Hall and I don't know if I want to be in unlicensed seating 9 days before my 18th).

Meshuggah... ehh... maybe. Probably not.

• Richaod schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jan. 2009, 6:56
    BUMP

Recent history:

Virgin Black/Opeth in November was fantastic. My only regret is that I don't really listen to Opeth obsessively, i.e. knowing the various sections/lyrics of all the songs, because I would've enjoyed it more. Unlike the dude next to me, who literally recreated every single drum fill EXACTLY via air-drumming.

Washington/The Boat People/Kate Miller-Heidke:
    Megan Washington is definitely someone to look out for in 2009 - for those who were actually there, her full-band opening set threatened to upstage KMH even without knowing any of the songs.
    The Boat People were basic indie jangle-pop, decent live performers but it all merged into one inferior Johnny Marr muck after a while.
    Kate was awesome as usual; Curiouser is still an extremely mediocre album, but seeing her live reinforces the fact that the dull production is much to blame.

Soon:

Ani DiFranco in January, have tickets but am yet to find the right person to kidnap and bring along.

Hopefully Nine Inch Nails in February, sadly everyone I know who likes them is already going to Soundwave.

Probably have to give Between the Buried and Me and Black Mountain a miss. :(

• zazabinks schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 20. Jan. 2009, 8:16
    First gig: Nickelback (oh jeez. Forgive me, I was 15.)

Favourite gig: Muse at Rod Laver Arena! Best night of my life!

Looking forward to: The Chiodos/Anberlin/Silverstein/Finch sidewave at the Palace the day before Soundwave (which I am stupid enough to not be going to). And also Amanda Palmer on March 3!

Hoping for: Madina Lake to do a solo gig in Melbourne. Please?

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.