Third-party clients going subscriber-only

• vidarino schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Mär. 2009, 9:22

Third-party clients going subscriber-only

So, if you haven't heard yet, last.fm has decided to make the radio accessible to subscribers only, unless you happen to reside in the UK, the US or Germany:

http://blog.last.fm/2009/03/24/lastfm-radio-announcement

In addition, they are changing the radio API, and accessing the new API will require an API account:\, and only subscribers - regardless of country, I presume, will be allowed to use third-party players:

http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/517212

This is very very disappointing, to say the least. And likely the end of LastFMProxy as we know it. :-(

Tune in to the last.fm radio with any player: LastFMProxy
  • Just so you know, lastfmproxy will still work, you'll just need to change the code to support the new official api

ONGOING PROJECT! PHP Last.FM API (Download or SVN)
    Online Last.FM Player (Updated version is SVN only currently)
    • [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 18. Apr. 2009, 17:23
    Lastfmproxy still works in Germany

• che4ako schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Jun. 2009, 7:39

top secret

still works fine in Russia without any limitation )

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Jun. 2009, 19:14
    even in germany the official api doesnt work

• Smartie4u schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jul. 2009, 3:42
    not working here :-(
    Using a media server - complicated stuff and no real alternative for my PS3 :-(

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jul. 2009, 17:54

So what's the deal here

Am I right in thinking that a lastfmproxy is still possible but that it would need a rewrite to support the new API and authentication methods? And is that a small or huge job? And then, is anyone working on this?

Just Say No To DRM skype:julian.bond?chat
    • jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jul. 2009, 19:12

So how...

If their API limits access so you can only use 3rd party clients if you have subscribed, how does the official client work because you can still use that on free access?

And why does streaming still work in Amarok? And Songbird. And Foo Last.fm Radio.

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jul. 2009, 11:26

Any Python gurus out there?

I've successfully modified lastfmproxy to authenticate and get over the connection refused error message. However the stream URLs returned require one 302 redirect before you get the real stream URL. My python isn't really good enough (yet!) to deal with this. Anyone interested in helping sort this out?

Amarok, Songbird, FireFM have all solved this, I think by emulating the official client. This will work for the moment as even the official client seems to use the old API but with a slightly different authentication handshake. I figure this will change when the old API is fully phased out. At which point lastfmproxy will need more of a re-write. It should still be possible though to make it emulate the official client enough to work.

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jul. 2009, 12:05

Hah!

• logenhans schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jul. 2009, 20:07

Sorry ...

I'm not a python guru, but I want to get lastfmproxy working again. Could you explain how?

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Jul. 2009, 21:42

those two files

Assuming you've got an almost working lastfmproxy installation, just replace main.py and lastfm.py with the versions above.

• logenhans schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Jul. 2009, 7:22

Thanks a lot,

I used lastfmproxy to hear the lastfm stream with my Terratec Noxon internet radio until they pulled the plug. I 'll try your modifications in the next few days.

• works with new APIs from voidstar.com

lastfm client used to work (from Italy and Switzerland) in last weeks. Today I tried and didn't work. I tried with the APIs from voidstar and the trick makes it work like a charm again.
    Hope the things will change soon for other clients such as Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc.
    thanks a lot

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI
    • logenhans schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Jul. 2009, 21:21

I'm tired.

After replacing main.py and lastfm.py from voidstar.com, lastfmproxy did not work. Can't find the mistake. I'll try again later.

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Jul. 2009, 12:53

Amarok

faffofratello: last.fm radio streams work for me in amarok v2, songbird and foobar. I guess Amarok V1 and Rhythmbox haven't caught up or won't be updated. Ironic that the one thing that really keeps me on windows is winamp. ;) Shame Winamp doesn't work better in wine.

logenhans: look for the debug= definitions at the top of the files and change it to 1. Then run lastfmproxy from the command line and you may see some extra error or debug messages that may make it clear what's going wrong.

• r3d4 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Jul. 2009, 6:23

Re: Hah!

jbond sagte:
    http://voidstar.com/downloads/main.py
    http://voidstar.com/downloads/lastfm.py

Thanks! Great, that makes it work again here on my wrt54 router!

cu
    r3d4

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 17. Jul. 2009, 9:51

WRT54?

I've got it running on a Buffalo Linkstation and previously on a Slug. I've also got a WRT54 running hyperWRT but haven't tried to get lastfmproxy and python running on that. It's an old one so I don't think its got enough memory or poke to manage it.

Glad it's working.

• logenhans schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Jul. 2009, 20:19

Thanks, jbond ...

After completely removing lastfmproxy from my slug and re-installing it, the proxy works fine. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Nesman64 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 20. Jul. 2009, 13:25
    I've got it working with Jbond's update in the US. I also had to remove the lastfmproxy folder and recreate it.

Using Kaffeine in Kubuntu, it seems to buffer forever. It plays nicely in VLC. Next I'll try to get it working in MythTV.

Vidar and Jbond, thanks so much.

• bitospud schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Jul. 2009, 23:35

Thanks to jbond!

Just wanted to add our thanks to jbond - much appreciated. I don't fully understand what the changes Last.fm have made are all about or what effect they should have on us (as UK non-subscribers) but the upshot is that until just now we could no longer listen to our Last.fm stream on our internet radio set, but now I've replaced those two .py files we can! Fantastic!

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Jul. 2009, 7:28

What's it all about

It looks like last.fm changed the authentication process when lastfmproxy first connects. The API call now includes an api_key. So I just copied the one used by the official client. There's no real encryption involved so this looks like a token attempt to keep the music biz at bay. In theory, only authorised 3rd party clients can play the streams and then only subscribers. But as long as the official client works for non-subscribers this technique should still work. Unless of course, they get clever with it.

Now the founders have earned out and moved on, last.fm is really under CBS control. They seem to have reached performance agreements for UK, US and Germany, but we can only hope that it doesn't all go Pete Tong the way it appears to with Pandora.

The other thing they changed is that when the API returns the playlist, the URLs for each track's stream is a 302 redirect to the real stream url. So the changes in main.py are to handle HTTP 302. It seems to work but I'm not sure I've done it the best way as my python skillz aren't great.

My guess is that Amarok V2, Songbird, fire.fm and the others have done the same thing. Their stream libraries probably just handled the 302 redirect. And I bet they just copied the api_key.

Hopefully Vidar can find the time to clean up my code and produce a 1.3c

• jbond schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Jul. 2009, 16:17

Not looking good

I've been reading up on the new API. Basically lastfmproxy works now because bits of the old API are still working. But there's quite a lot of changes involved in API V2. When they properly turn off the old API, LastFMProxy will require fairly substantial changes to support it V2.

This is why ban, love and discovery mode don't work properly at the moment. /radio/control.php is not there any more.

It feels to me like LastFMProxy ought to be an open source project but even then it will still need a lead or group of leads to control it.

So I'm afraid we're on borrowed time. Unless either Vidar maintains it or there's a python programmer out there prepared to take it on. Any ideas on how we find somebody with the necessary python skillz?

• hugo_h schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 2. Aug. 2009, 6:28

Old API turned off?

I see some 410 Gone responses to requests against the old API, so it looks like last.fm has turned it off.

I started porting it to the new API, but it looks like only subscribers can access it (I thought that it wasn't applying to the US, but I was wrong).

• krul schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Aug. 2009, 20:12

Re: Hah!

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.