9. Dez. 2014, 14:00 von IanAR
30. Apr. 2010, 20:54 von IanARFollowing Fly Things Come In Threes? - Another in my occasional series of articles about spooky goings-on, on my profile.
Here's a screen-cap' of my three month's top eight artists, today ...
Notice anything odd? There're a few strange coincidences about this line-up. Here's a key image, to illustrate ...
Chaps grouped in the centre & ladies on the flanks. Julieta Venegas is about to be pounced on, by a bunny. Whilst Shara Worden is holding a bunny. Simian Mobile Disco bring a monkey (class of 'higher primates', to be precise), in their name. Run Toto Run are named after a cute li'll' running doggie. The Stranglers are riding a dragon. Then We Are Wolves and ... It's the Wolf! It's the Wolf!
What's the role of Imogen Heap & Massive Attack?
My Current Fav'e Releases / Tracks From These Artists
Julieta Venegas Otra Cosa / Amores Platónicos (other plays)
Simian Mobile Disco Cruel Intentions / Cruel Intentions (Greg Wilson re-edit) (other plays)
Massive Attack Heligoland / Babel (other plays)
Shara Worden The Creatures in the Garden of Lady Walton / Cocodrillo (other plays)
Run Toto Run Plastic Gold EP / Hater (other plays)
The Stranglers BBC In Concert (23rd April 1977) / Sometimes (BBC In Concert 23/04/77) (other plays)
We Are Wolves Invisible Violence / Paloma (other plays)
Imogen Heap Ellipse / Wait It Out (other plays)
What's the message in these tea leaves? I think this calls for an expert in Chinese astrology, or some-such! :/ %)
18. Sep. 2009, 14:40 von IanARI fondly remember seeing W.I.T. and Larry Tee at The Egg, 25 May 03, as part of the LED Festival weekend. W.I.T. were promoting their excellent album Whatever It Takes but, since, seem to've moved on to other things.
electroclash band, exuding a Barbarella tinged feminism and're widely missed. So, I was delighted to find footage from their La Sala Rossa, Montreal show (28 Jun 2003). Here they are, performing I Surrender.
Their only streamable track on Last.FM is Ooh I Like It. If you'd like more tracks, please tag them streamable track wants and maybe someone'll take the hint.
19. Jul. 2009, 18:01 von IanARI just noticed that a 5th Studio Album section appeared on Goldfrapp's Wikipedia, leading to
Goldfrapp.com/blogwhere Alison Goldfrapp, 4 Jun 09 said:
We are in London today writing, we are doing a week up here and a week in Bath, alternating like that until the album is finished. It’s great to be in both the city and in the countryside for the making of this album. (Goldfrapp, Will Gregory)
I for one am looking forward to a Seventh Tree follow-up, ideally in the Felt Mountain or Black Cherry neighbourhood, but whatever it is courageous, please.
This is a little earlier in the year than when we heard the first whispers of Seventh Tree, so there's hope we'll see a release before Christmas.
Update 24 Oct 09: The most official word I've heard regarding a release date, has come to us via BBC 6 Music, a couple of days ago - "Alison says work is well underway on their new album due out in 2010".
26. Mai. 2007, 14:47 von DirtySkeMeEarthlings
EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and ... scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.
With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animals shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary ever produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests. There are many worthy animal rights films available, but this one transcends the setting. EARTHLINGS cries to be seen. Highly recommended!
Other languages and download
Download The Full Documentary in Divx
::: @DirtySkeMe@ :::
5. Jun. 2008, 11:15 von IanARWhipping-up excitement, for the Lights in the Sky tour, we have:
- A Place to Bury Strangers - To Fix the Gash In Your Head
Prev-released on A Place To Bury Strangers
- Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are Rockstars
Prev-released by EMI/Virgin UK, on You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into
- Crystal Castles - Crimewave (Crystal Castles vs HEALTH)
Prev-released by Trouble Records & Last Gang Records, on Crimewave - Single (a collaboration with Health)
- Deerhunter - Like New
Prev-released by Kranky, on Fluorescent Grey
- Nine Inch Nails - Echoplex
Prev-released on The Slip
under -> dl.NIN.com/lightsinthesky
A further wrinkle in Trent Reznor, et al's music marketing mastery!
I love this scheme! More folk come to gigs early enough to gigs to catch the full support act and the come more enthused. The venue sells more beer, the music folk sell more copies of music / merchandise, plus secure more loyalty and contact details!
From my notes in the listing, this looks to've won buy-in, not only from the bands involved but, also, from two or three independent labels, possibly one other band, and EMI! - This is what I call in idea with momentum!
Engage! Enjoy! Enthuse! - Ian My.Mashable.com/Scrawl
- A Place to Bury Strangers - To Fix the Gash In Your Head
8. Dez. 2007, 21:51 von IanARPlans are firming for the first fruit from Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree (click for track listing).
The fruit (I mean single), will be the track seven - A&E
A couple of hours ago, I received a release schedule, as follows:
03Feb 08 - for download* to UK-based** customers
11Feb 08 - for UK** disc sales
12Feb 08 - for USA & Canada download & disc sales
** - These dates may be correct for the whole of the European Union (I await clarification).
The nine day transatlantic delay, for download availability, is curious! Obviously, this will amplify the temptation for European purchasers to file-share to their yankee and flapping head friends. I think that, some combination of a few things is going on:
- The delay's an oversight, on the part of EMI/Mute and they'll change the schedule to synchronize download releases.
- During the delay period, downloads will only be available in some DRM'd format, that EMI consider uncrackable, within the nine days *looks back and forth between red-rag and bull*
- EMI see their failure to collect revenue - due to file-sharing, in the delay period - as a loss-leader, which they're enduring (and forcing the artist to endure), in order to perform surveillance and capture some valuable P2P inelegance.
- Other stuff I've not though of.
9. Nov. 2007, 17:12 von IanAR
26. Okt. 2007, 16:46 von IanARAt 15:57 today, Goldfrapp announced the planned release of Seventh Tree:Paraphrasing, Deer said:
fourth album, Seventh Tree through Mute on February 25th 2008. Seventh Tree is written and produced by Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory and was recorded at their own studio deep in the English countryside.
A sensual counterpoint to the glitterball glamour of Supernature, Seventh Tree is gilded in the butterfly colours of an English surrealism shared from Edward Lear to John Lennon*. It shimmers and shines with the warmth of a hazy summer, an electric whirlpool over which Alison’s glistening voice soars.
* - Only "Lear" & "Lennon" was said, further specification is by my assumption.
Black Cherry release preamble quite closely), track names will be hush-hush until about the time that promotional copies are sent out and we can be pretty sure there'll be a track called Seventh Tree ;)
Felt Mountain formulation, which I like and's been the word on Midnight To Six Management's authoritative Goldfrapp forum for months now. If that's the way it'll be, I'm gagging for it, and every remix!
More news as it happens - Ian My.Mashable.com/Scrawl
Edit 11 Jan 08: Updated group submissions + relevant connections from comments: Spacer, Contrazoom, Mark Radcliffe, Stuart Maconie, Clowns, Little Birds, 4 Mar 08 @ Union Chapel, London, UK, Talking Heads, Remain in Light, Once in a Lifetime, Brian Eno & David Byrne & My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
29. Sep. 2007, 1:23 von IanARI think Samantha Mumba can sing, I mean - really sing - and well! Also, IMO (and that of a significant proportion of the planet), she has drool-inducing looks. I think, it's this double-whammy that got her plucked out of Ireland and placed centre-stage in the teen-pop / r-n-b world.
I've not followed her career closely enough to draw conclusions about her abilities in other vital areas, of her initial stardom niche, e.g. dancing and songwriting. However, somehow, I get the impression that she's, either uncomfortable with portraying the sexually alluring stereotype, so often seen in contemporary r-n-b female leads, and/or her dancing's not up-to expressing it.
This video looks like it cost a gazillion bucks, to produce. It appears it's trying to be sexy but, for me, somehow it's not - the supporting dancers are excellent, such that the end result is slick and jolly - but my pants remain dry and flaccid.
Please, don't misapprehend me, I think Baby Come on Over is great! The lyrics are clever / meaningful and the result is a top making-up love-song / i am a party girl here is my soundtrack tune! Samantha's delivery is heart-rendingly sincere and engaging - m'be this, in itself, is in-part to blame, for my 'suspension of disbelief' inhibition, as regards the smuttier realms.
I've not heard much about Ms Mumba, in recent music happenings (I hope Universal've not dropped her) - However, I wonder how she'd've got on with, more like, Missy Elliott's looks or Beyoncé dancing ... m'be then she'd not've been jammed into an unfitting mould or'd be better able to fit such.
She had a good part in the 2002 The Time Machine remake, which I'm yet to see (oddly, what lead me to be reminded of Samantha and write this) and she's subsequently been married *curses* I guess, some spawning will ensue and perhaps she'll return to music, possibly then dazzling us outside the r-n-b arena.