What's so great about Eric Clapton?

• Stream1 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Aug. 2007, 23:24

What's so great about Eric Clapton?

I would especially like to hear from guitarists, but anyone can chime in.

But don't waste our time posting things like:
    "Clapton is god." or "Clapton rulezzzz."

• Zibaila schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Sep. 2007, 6:26
    I personally never care about guitarist's technique - I just listen to his music. Let's say Steve Vay is very techniciuous, but I just cant listen to his music. What about Clapton, my second best guitarist in the world (first is Mark Knopfler) - maybe he's not virtuoso
    but he feels the music, he loves the music he plays, he loves the guitar he plays. Even he's mainstreem, pop based songs sound great, because Clapton is honest with the music he plays.

I wouldn,t say "Clapton is god", but he's one of my favorite guitarist - not for technique, for the mood and feelings I hear in he's playing.

• Clapton by me isn't god... but he's a real good guitarist and even vocalist... i think one of the most complete musicians all around the world... he has feeling in the solos... plays guitar with a style that is his signature... you can like it or not... but he's still a important person in the rock story

They call it stormy monday but tuesday it's just as bad
  • If you want to see something special about Clapton, check out the DVD portion of "Sessions For Robert J". His studio performances on the video are amazing.

Everything in moderation
    (except for the dopamines)
  • For one, Eric Clapton IS a virtuoso. I suggest you listen to the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton album. Also some albums you might try are From the Cradle, any of the Cream albums, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, Unplugged and any of his live albums with the Dominos and his solo live albums such as 24 Nights, Just One Night, Live at Hyde Park, etc.

What determines a great guitarist though, is not just his technical abilities but also his impact on the world of guitar, influence, innovation, creativity and originality. Clapton's influence is undeniable, he was one of the pioneers of Blues/Rock, one of the first Gods of guitar. Clapton has his own style in which people can hear his playing and automatically assume who it is. He is also one of the most respected guitarist among other guitarists.

So, once again, he is a virtuoso and the reasons above are why he is considered to be one of the greatest ever.

• BluesRok schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Nov. 2007, 15:15

Clapton is a great guitarist, but...

I like Clapton, but in my opinion, he's just been resting on his laurels, he hasn't done anything new in years. Because he's a blues guitarist, I can't help but like him though.
    Here's something I wrote in the group, "Concert Stories" (http://www.last.fm/group/Concert+Stories) Discussions:

Your Favorite Ex-Yardbird?
    Okay, I know that many of you know that The Yardbirds (http://www.last.fm/music/The+Yardbirds?q=Yardbirds, lineup included some pretty famous guitarists. There are alot of Jimmy Page fans out there, and probably even more of you are fans of Eric Clapton. I like those guys, to be sure. But the ex-bird that I like best is Jeff Beck (http://www.last.fm/music/Jeff+Beck). He's far and away the most innovative and talented. He's a gutarist's guitar player.

Jeff Beck - Scatterbrain:

BluesRok / Jay
    • jbtrulock schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 8. Mär. 2008, 22:05
    Whats so great about Eric Clapton... well for one, he practically wrote the book on Blues/Rock guitar playing (see Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton). If he hadn't even played another lick after that album, he would still be a legend. But he did...Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & the Dominos. He just had such a tremendous influence on Blues, Rock & Roll, and Blues and Rock guitar playing.

• Clapton is great...
    He has been a great influence on many a guitarist, great singing, songwriting. He has been influenced BY the greats. I personally love his most recent acoustic Robert J stuff. I think that DVD is a great resource for learning.
    However...
    Clapton is maybe not my favorite guitarist. Hendrix and Derek Trucks are at the top of my list right now.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Mär. 2008, 15:38
    Clapton surfaces at the top of my list frequently, but any more it seems it's when he teams with someone of equal or higher stature. I love Mayall and Clapton, King and Clapton, Knopfler and Clapton; just listened to a great collaboration between Winwood and Clapton. I think jbtrulock is right, that it is his history, the bands he's played with, his influence on other players, and his raw talent that makes him monumental.

• BBcstw schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jun. 2008, 23:01
    Zibaila said:
    I personally never care about guitarist's technique - I just listen to his music. Let's say Steve Vay is very techniciuous, but I just cant listen to his music. What about Clapton, my second best guitarist in the world (first is Mark Knopfler) - maybe he's not virtuoso
    but he feels the music, he loves the music he plays, he loves the guitar he plays. Even he's mainstreem, pop based songs sound great, because Clapton is honest with the music he plays.

I wouldn,t say "Clapton is god", but he's one of my favorite guitarist - not for technique, for the mood and feelings I hear in he's playing.

? You said Clapton's music is great because he loves the music he's playing. Do you think SRV doesn't? Have you seen him play? I didn't think so...
    Anyways Clapton's pretty overrated. I love his music and have a lot of respect for him, but he got something like #4 on Rolling Stone's best guitarist in the world... No way. He's a good songwriter, but in all honesty he's not an amazing guitarist. And the whole "clapton is god" thing is pretty dumb. I like him a lot, but he's nowhere near the greats.

• kenmac48 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Jul. 2008, 14:09

Clapton

He may not be "God" but ranks as one of the disciples at least! lol
    Saw him on stage in Blackpool(with Jeff Beck on stage too) with the Yardbirds and been a fan ever since! (65 or 66 I think?)
    Sure ther are better guitarists out there, but he's had the airplay where most others haven't !
    Nice to see young(?) up and coming guitarists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang keeping up the good work for blues/rock music
    Keep your eyes and ears open for Britains own Joanne Shaw-Taylor, (a devout SRV fan) and plays pretty damn good too!

• BBcstw said:
    Zibaila said:

? You said Clapton's music is great because he loves the music he's playing. Do you think SRV doesn't? Have you seen him play? I didn't think so...
    Anyways Clapton's pretty overrated. I love his music and have a lot of respect for him, but he got something like #4 on Rolling Stone's best guitarist in the world... No way. He's a good songwriter, but in all honesty he's not an amazing guitarist. And the whole "clapton is god" thing is pretty dumb. I like him a lot, but he's nowhere near the greats.

He means Steve Vai, not SRV.

La musica è il senso della vita!/Music is the meaning of life!
  • Clapton's religion

rockmyplimsoul escribió:
    If you want to see something special about Clapton, check out the DVD portion of "Sessions For Robert J". His studio performances on the video are amazing.

I agree, It's a great DVD.

Also the 1988 video "Crossroad", with Mark Knopfer, here with "after midnight":

Cheers from Argentina

• Clapton's style

To give a personal opinion on what's so great about Clapton one has to listen to Clapton's golden age, late 60's, to realize that ALL modern blues was created 50% upon his style and his tecnique. It's not me saying this, such statement was made by Jimi Hendrix and yes, even SRV. Most of the blues guitaris have copied his style to the point that Clapton could even sound commercial. Crazy, uh?

louistheblues
  • Re: Eric Clapton

I'm not a big fan of Eric Clapton either but nobody can argue that his work with Cream in particular was outstanding. I think he reached his peak in terms of virtuosity with this live performance: .

However, I find that majority of his solo work is overly-commercial & lacking in the kind of drive & ambition of his early days although there is a handful of albums, some of which are outstanding; Behind The Sun, 24 Nights, Unplugged, From The Cradle (albeit a covers album).

I agree with previous poster who said that he rested on his laurels, I dont think that can be debated but his influence cannot be denied. Speaking in terms of Cream, I believe part of it could also be attributed to Clapton taking a lot of the credit for most of which was essentially Jack Bruce's work. Then later on he was kind of caught short when he decided to embark upon a solo career.

Despite all of this, Clapton definitely deserves a certain degree of respect within the music community. Never forget what he did in his early days. Whenever someone tells me Clapton is completely shit, I hit them with the two live Cream albums & that usually shuts them up!!

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.