Double question: Other band drummers you like and which bands you like to play along…

• Double question: Other band drummers you like and which bands you like to play along to.

One of the things that makes Carey great is that he plays in context to the band he is in and adds a value and dimensionality some bands dont have or need from their drummer.
    Which other bands do you like where the drummer adds something interesting to the music?

A few at the top of my list:

Soundgarden - Matt Cameron
    Faith No More - Mike Bordin
    Deftones - Abe Cunningham
    Lamb of God - Chris Adler
    Smashing Pumpkins - Jimmy Chamberlin

Also Im interested to know what music you like playing along to if you play drums.

I find myself most often playing to (trying to play to) Lamb of God, Opeth, Testament, Dream Theater. There are other bands id like to play to but my technical skills arnt up to the intricacies of certain styles. Sometimes I just cant decode what drummers are playing and drum tabs are hard to find.

• t0mbY schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Jan. 2007, 11:41
    My top list:

Lars Ulrich: Metallica
    Igor Cavalera: Sepultura
    Matt Cameron: Soundgarden / Pearl Jam
    Nicko McBrain: Iron Maiden

Toni
  • Yeah Igor Cavalera rules. I remember the first time I heard Straighthate off the Roots album. Together with that riff at the start it blows the roof.

Lars stuff can sound so heavy even though its being played slowly.

I gotta check out Iron Maiden, never listened to them but keep hearing about them.

• Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Jan. 2007, 2:55
    Yeah I pretty much have to agree with all the ones you've cited (well those I've listened to :P), especially Nicko and Cameron. A few I could add, off the top of my head would be Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) and Brann Dailor (Mastodon), and also a few of the more famous ones (which obviously mean quite a lot to their respective bands) like Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Copeland (The Police) or Bruford (King Crimson).

I guess a great drummer always adds a lot of interesting things to a band's music in quite a few different ways (from sheer technical ability to having a great feel for the groove and such) but as you've said, for most of these the ``context'' of the band they play in makes their own style even more interesting, which in Danny's case, for example, is quite visible.

As far as playing goes, I try to play and learn from just about anything I like or find interesting. Right now I'm playing (or trying to :P) mostly stuff like Tool, Porcupine Tree, Led Zeppelin, Isis, Maiden, etc.

Bearbeitet von Holomorph am 20. Nov. 2007, 3:58
  • i play to alot of tool. during more intricate parts i pause and try to figure what hes doing which takes a while but its fun. i also play along to alot of DreamTheater, especially their earlier stuff (i.e. Awake, A Change Of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity).

One of the more funkier guys i enjoy to play is Herb Alexander from primus. I usually find myself noodling on some Rush tracks as well.

To Defy The Laws Of Tradition . . .
  • yeah Dailor and Haake rule. Haakes sound is like the future of groove metal, id love to be able to play trippy stuff like him. Good to see Grohl get a mention.

Hah, yeah Mosk im the same with the hard parts. Even with most of the main parts im not sure what Danny is playing.
    Im a Primus/herb fan too. Wish there were more funky bands like them.

One way iv found out recently to learn what some drummers might be playing is to watch drummers on youtube doing covers of them. Some covers sound pretty accurate. Some great tool amateurs on there.

Bearbeitet von thickshake am 10. Jan. 2007, 2:27
  • yeah ive seen some cool stuff on youtube. and on the topic of Haake, thers an amazing little jam he plays on his kit before a show, probably for a sound check. its really cool check it out.

no link sorry, my youtube is malfunctioning

• Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Jan. 2007, 11:25
    This one?

It is indeed awesome, too bad the sound quality isn't that good on the vid.

Here's some more :D

I actually have an mp3 bootleg of this clinic, it's sick how good this guy is.

• no its not those
    the one i was was video taped from behind him, the quality was good too i think. its an improv that eventually turns into 'soul burn'

those videosare awesome as well.
    i truely think him the rest of meshuggah are not from earth

• To Defy The Laws Of Tradition . . .
    • Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jan. 2007, 3:26
    Wow! I've just stumbled upon this around the end of the Haake YouTube search:

A special version of Triad with Danny on drums and Tomas on what looks like Rototoms. Amazing stuff!

• It,s not that special if you collect Tool shows :P
    They had this kinda thing almost every show they played Triad. Every leg of the tour a different guest player
    just the band with Maynard on guitar and a guest percussionist and keyboard player
    It is cool to see it on video though :) i don,t have the drive space for video recordings

Mine is squegeed quite clean, now you go ahead and try, pry open your third eye

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
    • Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jan. 2007, 20:20
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Still, this one has Tomas Haake :P

• Yablko schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Feb. 2007, 17:55
    Joey Jordison definitely adds something (basically everything :D) to Slipknots music. He is pretty much the reason why I listen to their last album...

• Hell yeah. Joeys style is pure energy. I love the drumming on Vol3.

I bought Joeys Ahead signature drum sticks a while ago. Theyre those black ones made out of some sort of metal. When I first got them I really liked the feel but wished they were a bit longer. That was when I realised theyre probably short because Joey is like 5 foot 3 or something hahah. They're still my favorite sticks untill I can buy some longer Ahead ones.

• BlooD_PiG schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Feb. 2007, 4:22

• Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2007, 14:31
    Wow, good stuff!

• b-net schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 25. Apr. 2007, 22:24
    the reuben drummer is ace as well. he really adds something to the music

• Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Apr. 2007, 1:46
    I feel I have to mention Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree here. I saw him live a few days ago and he totally blew my mind: great chops, really creative, exceptional feel, cool fills, he really has it all. He's definetly one of my favorites, right up at the top!

(P.S. The new PT album actually went out about 10 days ago, you guys should probably check it out, I can't stop listening to it ever since I got it, some great drumming on it.)

Bearbeitet von Holomorph am 12. Jul. 2007, 23:37
    • zen_blade schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Mai. 2007, 7:59
    jon theodore from mars volta is awesome. synchs in with the guitaring really well and kinda gives stability to lotsa mars volta songs when they tend to drift...

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jun. 2007, 20:00
    mike mangini, he's the best..

• irishtim schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Jun. 2007, 20:11
    Brann Dailor-Mastodon
    Chris Pennie-The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Matt Cameron-Soundgarden/Pearl Jam
    Stewart Copeland-The Police
    Mike Portnoy-Dream Theater

• Holomorph schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Jun. 2007, 2:05

• irishtim schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Jun. 2007, 8:41
    Chris Pennie

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jul. 2007, 17:07
    Avenged Sevenfold (The Rev)
    Metallica (Lars Ulrich)
    Breaking Benjamin (Jeremy Hummel - Chad Szeliga)

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.