Forum » In the News

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

• UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

Pretty disgraceful behaviour, politics should have no part in the Olympics.

BBC

The UK defence secretary has criticised a "tasteless" advert showing an Argentine athlete training at sites in the Falklands including a war memorial...

...It ends with: "To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil."...

I also think it's a breach of one of the fundamental principles of the Olympics: That politics is set aside, that nobody should exploit the Olympic logo, the Olympic message, for political purposes," he added.

"I hope the International Olympic Committee will be looking at that.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17946838

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • lawynd schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 5. Mai. 2012, 10:09
    The last country to use the Olympics as a political publicity stunt was Nazi Germany, and they were a bunch of dicks too.

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Mai. 2012, 18:37
    Not that I want to play devils advocate or anything, but did you see the rational and balanced way The Sun dealt with the matter?

ARGIES! You see what they did there?! Cuz' thems is froms Argentinas they is! I'm looking forward to when other non-English denominations and nationalities inevitably offend our tabloid sensibilities. We can start using words like chink and paki and nig-nog again and pretend we aren't racist!

Can we cancel the olypmics now?

• Absurd93 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Mai. 2012, 19:41
    Presumably the editorial staff shouted 'Gotcha!' when they came up with that headline.

• lawynd schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 7. Mai. 2012, 11:51
    Selfsurprise said:
    ARGIES! You see what they did there?! Cuz' thems is froms Argentinas they is! I'm looking forward to when other non-English denominations and nationalities inevitably offend our tabloid sensibilities. We can start using words like chink and paki and nig-nog again and pretend we aren't racist!
    This is of course the same newspaper that thinks phone-tapping and hacking is acceptable, and recently printed a story about how Roy Hodgson isn't fit to be England manager because he has a speech impediment. I automatically assume that the opposite of anything the Sun actually prints is true, and that 99.9% of the people that read it vote BNP.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
  • Yeah. That makes total sense. Because the BNP have such strong support.

• lawynd schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 7. Mai. 2012, 17:17
    Aww, do I need to add 'tongue firmly in cheek' every time I say something outrageous so I don't offend your precious sensibilities?

• Benutzer
    • 7. Mai. 2012, 18:23
    [ accidental double post which i've only just noticed... an ENTIRE day after I posted it! ]

Bearbeitet von einem gelöschten Benutzer am 8. Mai. 2012, 10:55
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Mai. 2012, 18:25
    I occasionally forget that the universe isn't nearly as spastic as tabloid papers. Twas' a silly post for sure. Weirdly my mom reads The Sun and she is lovely person and not in the least bit BNPeeish. I suspect she buys it only because the crossword is easy, though.

Absurd93 said:
    Presumably the editorial staff shouted 'Gotcha!' when they came up with that headline.

Thats a best case scenario. I'm sure in reality the inception of that particular headline was heralded by copious amounts of violent lubrication and sex.

lawynd said:
    Aww, do I need to add 'tongue firmly in cheek' every time I say something outrageous so I don't offend your precious sensibilities?

If only there was a 'nudge nudge wink wink' tag you could add to your posts... ;)

• Bloopy schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 8. Mai. 2012, 0:14
    Argentina's athletes arrive in England... customs officers put on rubber gloves. "We just need to check you for propaganda."

• Benutzer
    • 8. Mai. 2012, 10:55
    Bloopy said:
    Argentina's athletes arrive in England... customs officers put on rubber gloves. "We just need to check you for propaganda."

• lawynd said:
    The last country to use the Olympics as a political publicity stunt was Nazi Germany, and they were a bunch of dicks too.
    Forget the Cold War why don't you!

The story about Jesse Owens is a sad one. Hitler didn't personally snub him (he only applauded German winners but when advised he had to applaud for all he declined to applaud any) but the President of the United States did. Owens was never invited to the White House despite winning 4 (yes 4!) gold medals. He had to go through the back door of establishments and ride at the back of the bus.

Hitler went on to kill millions by ethnic cleansing and maintained Aryan superiority to his death. Many US states continued to discriminate against blacks, some as far as not registering negro births and were killed or terrorised by lynch mobs and police for many years after WWII.

The African American politic was to feature again in the Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute).

I think any political manipulation or association isn't acceptable, the Argentinians join a long, infamous list.

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • sgath92 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Mai. 2012, 2:47
    DaddyPobbin said:
    lawynd said:

The story about Jesse Owens is a sad one. Hitler didn't personally snub him (he only applauded German winners but when advised he had to applaud for all he declined to applaud any) but the President of the United States did. Owens was never invited to the White House despite winning 4 (yes 4!) gold medals. He had to go through the back door of establishments and ride at the back of the bus.

Hitler went on to kill millions by ethnic cleansing and maintained Aryan superiority to his death. Many US states continued to discriminate against blacks, some as far as not registering negro births and were killed or terrorised by lynch mobs and police for many years after WWII.

The African American politic was to feature again in the Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute).

I think any political manipulation or association isn't acceptable, the Argentinians join a long, infamous list.

Germans were under explicit orders during the Olympics to treat US minorities as well as possible [within reason]. It was PsycOps intended to get US blacks to see their own country as an enemy ["I was treated better by the Nazis in Germany than I ever was by people at home!"]. This was for not just the athletes but normal citizens there as reporters, tourists, spectators etc.

Like the Kaiser's dream of getting Japan to expose the US into a two-front war, the Nazi plan didn't fully come to fruition until decades too late: the 60s-70s black civil rights movement during which the militant black rights groups like the Black Panthers were bedfellows with the US Nazi Party and other white supremacist organizations.

• sgath92 said:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    lawynd said:

Germans were under explicit orders during the Olympics to treat US minorities as well as possible [within reason]. It was PsycOps intended to get US blacks to see their own country as an enemy ["I was treated better by the Nazis in Germany than I ever was by people at home!"]. This was for not just the athletes but normal citizens there as reporters, tourists, spectators etc.

Like the Kaiser's dream of getting Japan to expose the US into a two-front war, the Nazi plan didn't fully come to fruition until decades too late: the 60s-70s black civil rights movement during which the militant black rights groups like the Black Panthers were bedfellows with the US Nazi Party and other white supremacist organizations.
    Well in one way their own country was the enemy and the racism was tackled because they wished to be treated like anyone else. People in authority who promoted racism or were complacent were the enemies within the system, considering what principles the US stood for. Their peaceful and rational resolve emanated across the water to Ireland, though the civil rights movement descended into decades of chaos after Bloody Sunday.

I was commenting really that using the Olympics, whether it's some overly political advert like the Argentine, boycotts or black power salutes are unacceptable practises. I think I referred to Jesse Owens because he was a great figure and yet a second class citizen of his country and he represents really the willingness to represent the States and be a proud American despite everything.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.