Forum » In the News

Analysis: How Iran might respond to Israeli attack

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Mär. 2012, 18:12

Analysis: How Iran might respond to Israeli attack

BBC

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58884000/jpg/_58884019_58884015.jpg
    Iran has the largest and most diverse ballistic missile arsenal in the Middle East
    Source: AFP/BBC

Mr Fitzpatrick believes Iran is more likely to respond against Israel "asymmetrically, and through proxies". Its ally, the Shia Islamist group Hezbollah, has more than 10,000 rocket launchers in southern Lebanon, many of them supplied by Iran...

...Naval action in the Gulf

The Iranian Navy, and especially the naval arm of its Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), are well-equipped with small, fast craft capable of laying mines or swarming attacks against larger vessels.

Iran also deploys capable land-based anti-shipping missiles.

These could all be used to close off the vital oil artery - the Strait of Hormuz.

The US Navy is confident that it could re-open the Strait. But this risks an extended naval conflict between the US and Iran, and in the short term, there could be a significant impact upon oil prices...

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17261265

• boooooooooooom!

Nuclear Bombs will fall

The last of the good ones!
    • sgath92 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Mär. 2012, 3:27

Re: Analysis: How Iran might respond to Israeli attack

DaddyPobbin said:
    Mr Fitzpatrick believes Iran is more likely to respond against Israel "asymmetrically, and through proxies". Its ally, the Shia Islamist group Hezbollah, has more than 10,000 rocket launchers in southern Lebanon, many of them supplied by Iran...

Hezbollah has fired thousands of these rockets at Israel before, without causing any decisive outcome in their favor.

The Iranian Navy, and especially the naval arm of its Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), are well-equipped with small, fast craft capable of laying mines or swarming attacks against larger vessels.

Iran also deploys capable land-based anti-shipping missiles.

Which would be effective against oil tankers. American capital ships? Not so much.

• Re: boooooooooooom!

Silvercam1999 said:
    Nuclear Bombs will fall

I think that's ^ a fairly accurate description, I don't think China and perhaps Russia will sit idly by. Should Israel target Iran.

The whole situation reminds me of the song "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas

"I never picked cotton"
    Bearbeitet von mickeymay1968 am 11. Mär. 2012, 14:28
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mär. 2012, 14:24
    I think Hezbollah have been holding back actually, an attack from Iran would trigger Hezbollah and Palestinian terrorists in Gaza to attack Israel and the Israel forces would be stretched.

However Iran isn't about to attack Israel, it's the opposite way round but it could still trigger a regional war.

Iran wouldn't be able to keep the Straits of Hormuz closed permanently but land-based missiles might cause the Americans to enter into another protracted conflict, if tankers are being destroyed and American forces are under attack.

Something will give eventually, it'll be actions, not words that breaks the camel's back.

• If Iran tries to close the Straits of Hormuz, they will lose all remaining allies. I doubt China would let Iran do it. They might even support the US just because cheaper oil is in their national interest.

• ET18 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Mär. 2012, 22:50
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 4: The Real Deal

"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"
    -Chrysler 300 Commercial

Need For Speed Freak
    Go Chicago Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, Bears, NIU Huskies
    • 1337Chris schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Apr. 2012, 21:09
    Israel is fucked, sooner or later, too provocative and surrounded by enemies

• SaoCartel schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Apr. 2012, 22:18
    1337Chris said:

Doubtful. Their friends in high places are more capable than any of their enemies. And when push comes to shove, those friends will back them up.

• Mamaatti schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Apr. 2012, 6:22
    World war three! World war three!

lost in the kingdom of Narnia,
    brought back by nostalgic feelings
    • 1337Chris schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Apr. 2012, 13:30
    SaoCartel said:
    1337Chris said:

Doubtful. Their friends in high places are more capable than any of their enemies. And when push comes to shove, those friends will back them up.

Will they really though, Israel already condemned the US for not promising military support if they attacked Iran. Israel is the provocative one with these wars, Iran has only stated its right to defend itself so far.

• sgath92 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 6. Apr. 2012, 16:51
    1337Chris said:
    Israel is the provocative one with these wars, Iran has only stated its right to defend itself so far.

Hezbollah [an unofficial arm of the Iranian military] never got the memo in that case. They have indeed used rockets to try to bait Israel into reacting disproportionately harshly & Israel usually falls for it hook, line, and sinker.

Not that I blame them. If the US were in Israel's shoes swaths of the region would be radioactive by now. They seem more hesitant to use their WMDs than we are imho.

• SaoCartel schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Apr. 2012, 8:03
    1337Chris said:
    Will they really though, Israel already condemned the US for not promising military support if they attacked Iran. Israel is the provocative one with these wars, Iran has only stated its right to defend itself so far.
    Most look at Israel as the only sane country in that area. Most of the US citizens don't want Iran to have nuclear powers. They also don't want another war, but most accept that Iran can't be trusted. I certainly wouldn't trust a single thing from the Iranian administration. Israel is a far lesser evil of a country than Iran to trust.

I believe that war is inevitable and the US is not the type to just sit on their hands. I imagine something along the lines of few troops and lots of drone attacks from the US in the future.

• Benutzer
    • 22. Apr. 2012, 11:38
    I don't think Israel should have nukes, regardless who their neighbours are.

They should be sanctioned until they provide publicly how many nuclear arms they have. In a normal, sane world...

• lawynd schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 22. Apr. 2012, 20:49
    SaoCartel said:
    1337Chris said:
    Most look at Israel as the only sane country in that area. Most of the US citizens don't want Iran to have nuclear powers. They also don't want another war, but most accept that Iran can't be trusted. I certainly wouldn't trust a single thing from the Iranian administration. Israel is a far lesser evil of a country than Iran to trust.
    I love the logic. Israel are lying fucks who have committed ridiculous amounts of human rights abuses, and have been for years, yet they're more trustworthy? They're both as bad as each other.

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • SaoCartel schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Apr. 2012, 3:01
    DaddyPobbin said:

They should be sanctioned until they provide publicly how many nuclear arms they have. In a normal, sane world...

I concur.
    lawynd said:]
    I love the logic. Israel are lying fucks who have committed ridiculous amounts of human rights abuses, and have been for years, yet they're more trustworthy? They're both as bad as each other.

Sadly, most couldn't really name anything Israel has done that is wrong (besides the settlements issue). Hell, a fair amount of people don't even know how Israel came to be. The education system and FOX news (I swear everyone I know gets their news from there) leaves a lot to be desired.

• lal at everyone that is all 'NUKES!!11, NUKES WILL FALL'.

Fools.

Israel has them, to take them away now would be bad. I only agree that they 'shouldn't' have them in so much as no country should.

And yeah, let's just turn against Israel, because they're evil, sanctions rule, fuck everything.

Man. It's shit like this that makes democracy worthless.

• lawynd schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 23. Apr. 2012, 18:20
    SaoCartel said:
    Sadly, most couldn't really name anything Israel has done that is wrong (besides the settlements issue). Hell, a fair amount of people don't even know how Israel came to be. The education system and FOX news (I swear everyone I know gets their news from there) leaves a lot to be desired.
    I'm English, I know all too well how we ended up with this sorry mess. There's no point going into specifics because it's all been hashed out before.

steal_briefcase said:
    lal at everyone that is all 'NUKES!!11, NUKES WILL FALL'.

Fools.

Israel has them, to take them away now would be bad. I only agree that they 'shouldn't' have them in so much as no country should.

And yeah, let's just turn against Israel, because they're evil, sanctions rule, fuck everything.

Man. It's shit like this that makes democracy worthless.
    I always look forward to your oh-so-illuminating input here; I see you've not been able to move on from random verbal regurgitation, however.

If however you'd like to actually make a point or explain what the hell you're trying to say, I would metaphorically be all ears.

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Apr. 2012, 0:54
    SaoCartel said:
    DaddyPobbin said:

I concur.
    Right? It's one rule for them and another for the rest of the world.

When it comes to what you say about pinpointing what Israel do wrong, generally it is just flouting international laws, conventions and their own settlements.The government cracks down on it's own journalists and left-wing intellectuals, imprisons and fires on Palestinians and generally are arses.

It's a shame when most Israeli's probably want to get on with their lives but a stand-off doesn't really offer security and their security depends on suspending civil liberties and human rights for innocent Palestinians.

• SaoCartel schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Apr. 2012, 6:23
    DaddyPobbin said:
    Right? It's one rule for them and another for the rest of the world.

When it comes to what you say about pinpointing what Israel do wrong, generally it is just flouting international laws, conventions and their own settlements.The government cracks down on it's own journalists and left-wing intellectuals, imprisons and fires on Palestinians and generally are arses.

It's a shame when most Israeli's probably want to get on with their lives but a stand-off doesn't really offer security and their security depends on suspending civil liberties and human rights for innocent Palestinians.

That whole region is just one big fuck up, eh? Can't really look to any one country and say things are swell there. Wish we had a reset button.

• I doubt Syria or Lebanon will be able to stay out of the conflict, and Iran is trying to strengthen its ties with Iraq so they might fall in with the rest of the motley crew. Shit's fucked up. I would've hoped we Americans would've learned from eight years of "W" that pulling this kind of shit will be good for our nation and economy and our morale, but the GOP candidates are clamoring for action against Iran which is sickening in all honesty, as though the GOP candidates are promising to reestablish our hegemony across the Middle East. I'm grateful Obama has been far more pragmatic towards the issue. He isn't a fool and he knows that most Americans are happy to be out of Iraq and that Americans want to gtfo of Afghanistan.

Say what again.
  • World war three...

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.