Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Top Listener on personal profile

• Call this a pre-alpha release. Greasemonkey version here. The code is still a mess, and there's minimal validation of returned data.

For anyone who can't use greasemonkey, or doesn't want to, there's a zip package here that lets you run the script on a local html page. Unzip & load the .html file in your browser.

The script won't run if your browser doesn't support localStorage. It's okay on up-to-date Firefox & Chrome.

I'm not sure how much more time I want to spend on this. Any feedback appreciated.

• shalotka schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Nov. 2011, 17:27
    Maddieman said:
    That's an interesting idea, although on the other hand it might give people a bigger incentive to cheat. We already get a lot of people who rename 31 second tracks as their favourite artist, and play them overnight on a continuous loop - presumably just so they can get on the top listener page.

Absolutely. If there are already users who do so without having this displayed on their profile, imagine what would happen if they did ;-)

There's a funny thing about renaming tracks, the system can in some cases detect original data and count it as... artist's alternative name. Don't ask how I know that ;-)

Would it be unethical to ban such users who were quite obviously cheating and abusing the site in this way? Those whose play counts are physically impossible are kinda ruining the site for everyone.
    Yes, that would be unfair. They do make mess in stats, but you can't ban anyone for what they are scrobbling.

justlkheaven11 said:
    i love this idea. i agree that people would cheat, which is ridiculous. but it would still be cool to know exactly which bands you are a top listener for. i have a question too about the whole top listener thing. on some bands the recent top listeners will have less overall plays on last.fm in general than i have for that particular artist. but i am a barely a top listener on anything.

It takes into account the percentage of this particular artist in all of the users library. That was users who have many scrobbles and listen to many different bands have very small chance of becoming a top listener of any big band.

I am currently a top listener of two artists but that's because they haven't released full albums yet and not many people heard about them. Yes, the easiest way to check if you are a top listener of anything from your library is to go to less known artists' pages.

I'm a pterodactil.
    • snyde1 schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 23. Nov. 2011, 23:28
    Iskra42463 said:
    The script won't run if your browser doesn't support localStorage. It's okay on up-to-date Firefox & Chrome.
    The browser also requires CORS to run this. (I.e. no Opera support ... yet.)

Any feedback appreciated.Okay B-)

From the script page: I hope it's not a status badge - this is why I put the button in to start it working. I hope it won't be used to aid the childish scrobbling competitions. If that should happen, I'll withdraw the script, but I'd rather trust people to be sensible.As the script is only accessible to the person that installed it, this shouldn't be an issue. I guess the text can be cut and pasted, but that is likely more than the "cheaters" would want to do.

It looks nice. The 8 day storage is a good idea. The button is handy - it's nice to be able to choose when you want the script to run and when not.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • That script is awesome :D thanks!!!

• snyde1 schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 1. Dez. 2011, 16:25
    snyde1 said:
    Iskra42463 said:
    The browser also requires CORS to run this. (I.e. no Opera support ... yet.)
    Actually, I've tried this in the Opera 12 beta, and it works there as well. (Just not in the current release version of Opera -11.52.)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • shalotka said:justlkheaven11 said:
    i love this idea. i agree that people would cheat, which is ridiculous. but it would still be cool to know exactly which bands you are a top listener for. i have a question too about the whole top listener thing. on some bands the recent top listeners will have less overall plays on last.fm in general than i have for that particular artist. but i am a barely a top listener on anything.

It takes into account the percentage of this particular artist in all of the users library. That was users who have many scrobbles and listen to many different bands have very small chance of becoming a top listener of any big band.

I am currently a top listener of two artists but that's because they haven't released full albums yet and not many people heard about them. Yes, the easiest way to check if you are a top listener of anything from your library is to go to less known artists' pages.

thank you for answering and not being rude about your answer or acting like i'm an idiot but that wasn't really my entire question, if you read my full comment....i mean it a little bit still answers the question, but i don't know that that actually makes sense or is correct. because like a week after i posted that they updated the top listeners and i was like fourth for a week or two on the particular band i was asking about and then i disappeared again. if it wasn't for that then i would say your answer makes perfect sense. but i think if it were based on percents like that then it would actually be easier to become a top listener. then you could just listen to one band like 1,000 plays for one week and you'd be the top listener because it would be 100% of your recent plays. if it were still how it used to be when it just said top listeners and not recent top listeners then i could see how it might be possible that that was how things were figured out. like i said i understand it changes based on whatever the time span is that last.fm is taking into account but since i consistently listen to the band it doesn't make sense to me. umm like i said though thank you for not being a jerk about your answer. but it would not ever be easy for me to check and see if i were a top listener for bands because i have over 1000 artists and a lot of them are local bands or not so famous bands. so hopefully for me someone does perfect this.

• Sorry, I know it's a bit late but thanks a lot, Iskra42463!
    :)

• Kurt_K schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 8. Sep. 2012, 6:53
    Thanks, Iskra42463. The script works great. I was surprised and somewhat intrigued by some of the results, which is the reason for having this kind of thing.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.