Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Weird radio behaviour?

• tburny schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 9. Mai. 2012, 23:54

Weird radio behaviour?

I tried to play the "Pink Floyd" radio station. Pink floyd is known for its relatively calm music.
    As I listened to Black Sabbaths "War Pigs" a few times in the past weeks - the first track of the Pink Floyd station was "Children of the Grave" by Black Sabbath which is clearly more metal than Pink Floyd style...

I assume this happens because both artists are tagged as "rock" and "classic rock", but it still does not fit...

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • akrde schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jun. 2012, 11:31

Re: Weird radio behaviour?

tburny said:
    I assume this happens because both artists are tagged as "rock" and "classic rock", but it still does not fit...

Black Sabbath is No. 7 in Pink Floyds similar artists list, that's why the Pink Floyd radio plays tracks by Black Sabbath independant from any tags?

• percy74 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jun. 2012, 16:47
    Personally, I don't find Black Sabbath playing on Pink Floyd radio weird or unexpected in the least. Just off the top of my head, if I were to play Pink Floyd radio, I would also expect to hear some Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, The Who, AC/DC, Yes, CCR, King Crimson, Rush, The Doors, etc. In other words, I would expect a Pink Floyd seeded radio station to generate a very classic-rock-radio-centric playlist. Now that I look at Pink Floyd's similar artists, I see that every artist I just listed is ranked in the top 50.

I guess it's a matter of where you place a particular artist in your mind. Many people think of Pink Floyd as part of the Classic Rock canon, where time period is more important than style. This would explain why artists like Black Sabbath, David Bowie and AC/DC are so high on the similar artist list.

Others see Pink Floyd as part of the Prog Rock canon where style is most important. This would explain why artists like Porcupine Tree, Tool, and Dream Theater are also high on the list.

Still others see Pink Floyd as one of the "big ones" where importance, influence, and/or popularity trump both time period and style. This would explain why artists like Joy Division, Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers populate the top 50 as well.

So the entire list is then a mash-up of the different ways people group artists, which will often clash with a particular user's own ideas of where the artist should be placed. Because you might not group Pink Floyd the same way many others would, the generated playlist is different from what you might have expected.

• Re: Weird radio behaviour?

I don't find Black Sabbath or other "classic rock" artists appearing on Floyd's station too strange either. As for "harder" stuff appearing, Floyd were just as capable of doing harder tracks as well, as "The Nile Song" would attest to.

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Jun. 2012, 20:45

Re: Weird radio behaviour?

tburny said:
    Hey, try this great code genarator to narrow and filter what plays............
    http://beta.combofm.de/station/
    ;))))))))))))))))

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • Bloopy schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 11. Jun. 2012, 23:30
    This is why it sucks that similar artists are so heavily based on listeners, while the tags are barely taken into account. You just end up getting all the related artists you already know about, instead of discovering similar artists you haven't heard before. We need some kind of choice or slider bar where we can choose whether we want similar artists (related by tags), or common artists (related by listeners).

Pink Floyd's top 5 tags: progressive rock, classic rock, psychedelic rock, rock, psychedelic

Black Sabbath's top 5 tags: heavy metal, hard rock, classic rock, metal, doom metal

You can do better than that, Last.fm.

• dankine schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Jun. 2012, 1:57
    sabbath's genre tags are shite though. far closer to floyd than 3/5 of the tags.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.