Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Apr. 2012, 21:01
    Happy Birthday for last week then TB. Thanks.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Apr. 2012, 21:47
    Does anyone else get failures with the 'not' function?

tag nintendo 'not' artists similar to Красное Дерево
    lastfm://rql/dGFnOiJuaW50ZW5kbyIgbm90IHNpbWFydDoi0JrRgNCw0YHQvdC+0LUg0JTQtdGA0LXQstC+Ig==
    http://last.fm/listen/rql/dGFnOiJuaW50ZW5kbyIgbm90IHNpbWFydDoi0JrRgNCw0YHQvdC+0LUg0JTQtdGA0LXQstC+Ig==
    seems to be playing nothing bur Russian Rap / Russian hip-hop.

-I was prompted to test it by query here : http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/2037712/_/18013071

edit 2012Aug 16 & tried it here
    http://www.last.fm/tag/heardit-gc

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    Bearbeitet von headey am 16. Aug. 2012, 11:21
    • Sagehorn schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Apr. 2012, 17:37
    Suggestion: What about saving the query?

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Apr. 2012, 18:54
    Sagehorn said:
    Suggestion: What about saving the query?
    somewhere back on ...pg 10... www.last.fm/forum/21716/_/616299/_/17338620 -but only when TB has finished his exams.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • Paradoks schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Apr. 2012, 20:21
    Love this project! It is as Last.fm should've been (and to a large extent was way way back).

Currently I'm having issues with the 'not' function. There are two artists named Asa, that I like alot. But apparently there's also a way more prominent finnish hip-hop act called Asa. I tried Asa NOT finnish, but it keeps bombarding me with deplorable finnish hip-hop (that is tagged as finnish). Any way to make this work?

• Is it possible to specify a BPM range for whatever radio station I want to listen to?

Thanks tburny and snyde1 for your responses to my question "is it possible to use parentheses with Combo.fm?". I have been following the instructions that you provided for constructing my own RQL queries.

I have two new questions:

1. Is it possible to specify a BPM range when I create my own RQL query? I would like to take the following radio station ...

adv:Bending_Spoons and (tag:"adult contemporary" or tag:"singer-songwriter")

... and add a BPM range to it, such that Last.fm will only play tracks whose BPM falls within whatever range I specify.

2. Is it possible to specify a BPM range when I am listening to my "Mix" radio station without any tag filters? Can I do it in either the web player or in the desktop client?

I originally posted slightly longer (and perhaps more confusing) versions of those two questions in the desktop client support forum, but I have not yet received a response from anyone.

BTW, I know that this message I am posting right now isn't about combo.fm, but it IS in response to your responses to my question about parentheses, so I hope you don't mind that I am posting it here! (I apologize if you DO mind).

(note: I edited this message on 4/22/12 to better clarify my questions)

Bearbeitet von Bending_Spoons am 22. Apr. 2012, 5:47
    • Mynister schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Apr. 2012, 21:23
    Paradoks said:
    Love this project! It is as Last.fm should've been (and to a large extent was way way back).

Couldn't agree more with Paradoks, thanks for your work with combofm. Perhaps one of the few reason why I'm still using Lastfm.

• Hi, using Combo.fm for the first time today, and so far it seems to do what it promises. :-) I tagged a lot of albums and tracks recently, mostly for the tag radios and which obviously needs a database update first to function properly, although it is already global with a radio button.

Anyhow, listening to during the last days got me a bit frustrated again, because the usual ranking algorithm comes up from behind and only plays tracks to me that I have already listened to more than once or twice. So I thought I should try out Combo.fm, set the sliders to full left and discovery mode enabled, and finally I can listen to the hundreds of streamable albums and tracks that I tagged during the last weeks.

So will someone please enable these options in the usual Last.fm web player and software now. ;-) And thanks to all involved developers of course.

One thing that might be helpful is a popup tooltip for the sliders and the discovery mode option with short explanations that slider to the left means "less" and to the right "more" and what discovery mode does.

[Edit]
    Reading through the whole thread I've found that the tooltips by hovering the mouse over the sliders and discovery mode are supposed to work. So I'll add that I'm using Opera 11.62 on Windows XP SP3 at the moment. This might also explain why sorting artists, tags etc. with drag&drop does not work: the item can be dragged, but it does not stick at the new place when dropping it.

And the richard wagner tag radio without repetition and mainstream only worked for a good hour, then it ran out of content and never came back. But it was fun while it lasted... ;-) Maybe my new tags haven't been digested by the database yet, and it will be different in a month or so.

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Apr. 2012, 16:13
    Paradoks said:
    Currently I'm having issues with the 'not' function. .... Any way to make this work?
    I've had problems with using 'not' against a tag too.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    Bearbeitet von headey am 3. Mai. 2012, 20:36
    • tburny schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21. Apr. 2012, 17:58
    One thing that might be helpful is a popup tooltip for the sliders and the discovery mode option with short explanations that slider to the left means "less" and to the right "more" and what discovery mode does.
    It is planned to show some more helpful balloon tooltips :)

Reading through the whole thread I've found that the tooltips by hovering the mouse over the sliders and discovery mode are supposed to work. So I'll add that I'm using Opera 11.62 on Windows XP SP3 at the moment. This might also explain why sorting artists, tags etc. with drag&drop does not work: the item can be dragged, but it does not stick at the new place when dropping it.

Noted :) (Track at https://github.com/tburny/combofm/issues/9)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • BPM range: can anyone help me?

• Beats per minute is not an available value in the Last.fm database, so you cannot select tracks by it. Some users have already tagged tracks with BPM values, so you could simply listen to these tag radios or e.g. use these tags to specify a radio station like your library. But this would only work if the tagged tracks are already in your library. And you can of course do this yourself for any tracks, but it will be a lot of tagging work.

• hjbardenhagen said:
    Beats per minute is not an available value in the Last.fm database, so you cannot select tracks by it.

I thought that the new Last.fm API does recognize BPM, or tempo, or something like that, as demonstrated by the Last.fm Driver's Seat Demo video.

• tburny schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 25. Apr. 2012, 21:29
    Bending_Spoons said:
    I thought that the new Last.fm API does recognize BPM, or tempo, or something like that, as demonstrated by the Last.fm Driver's Seat Demo video.

Nice gem :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
  • So given that the new API apparently does recognize BPM, tempo, or whatever--according to the two links I provided in my last post--what are the answers to my two questions?

• staple_ schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2012, 1:17
    Very nice! :D

Add me.

• tburny schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 27. Apr. 2012, 12:41
    Bending_Spoons sorry I didn't reply to your original questions instantly.
    As far as I know, there is no "BPM range limiter" for radio stations (yet). Maybe(!) the last.fm team is making something in this direction (hopefully :) ), if not, it would be a really nice idea!

• Bending_Spoons sagte:
    So given that the new API apparently does recognize BPM, tempo, or whatever--according to the two links I provided in my last post--what are the answers to my two questions?
    See the comments on that developer blog:
    Karl 11 December 2011, 23:55
    I can’t seem to find the documentation for these new calls on the api site (findbyaudiofeatures)? http://www.last.fm/api Is there any more info on this?

Matthias Mauch 12 December 2011, 11:57
    @Karl: Thanks for your interest – you’re right – we wanted to first test drive the new API at the hack day, so (for now) more detailed information is not officially released. I expect that we will have more to say over the next few months. Matthias
    So the only one who might have an answer about the current state and future public API implementation of this "hack" or alpha feature (audio-analyzing chart tracks and classifying their properties e.g. into BPM) seems to be the developer Matthias Mauch aka bellacollana.

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Mai. 2012, 20:39

'and' now for something completely... the same.

I've got to say that I'm finding combo a superb way of 'getting to know' my friends & neighbours.
    In the past I'd just try a friends radio but usually have to skip a lot.

By putting the 'and' between our libraries it is a great way to see what is shared ... before moving on to get familiar with their other tastes.

This also turns out to be an excellent way of getting lastfm to drag up tracks which might not have been heard for a long time.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • Re: 'and' now for something completely... the same.

headey sagte:
    This also turns out to be an excellent way of getting lastfm to drag up tracks which might not have been heard for a long time.

This can also be achieved by enabling Discovery Mode with any radio station. I'm listening to my favorite tag radios with that setting more often and longer now, because it works really well, especially when enough content (album and tracks) has been tagged before. This is also true for my older example with where the new tags have been updated in the database in the meantime. Another current favorite is my Mix radio with Discovery Mode enabled, slider settings not changed.

Another suggestion for Combo.fm: I would prefer to see a list of my favorite tags instead of Last.fm's favorite tags when opening the tag dropdown menu, so I don't have to type them manually each time. This should be possible, as I just noticed that MassTagger can do this, too, so there must be an API call for it. And a dropdown menu for my favorite group radios would be nice as well if the API can deliver it.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Mai. 2012, 12:11
    I was wondering if there was a better alternative to multi artist radio that last.fm radio offers... This works pretty well though I sort of find the sliding bars for mainstream and repitition a little confusing.

• headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Mai. 2012, 8:56

tags menu

hjbardenhagen said:
    Another suggestion for Combo.fm: I would prefer to see a list of my favorite tags instead of Last.fm's favorite tags when opening the tag dropdown menu, so I don't have to type them manually each time
    +1

And possibly set the main page so that the Artists dropdown isn't already open.
    1) It is a feature I rarely use... ;-P
    2) I think the page looks 100times neater with the tabs closed.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    Bearbeitet von headey am 31. Mai. 2012, 18:19
    • ukashtr schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 31. Mai. 2012, 14:35
    I am a moron who tried to spam in the thread of a moderator. Now this is my lesson.

Bearbeitet von tburny am 1. Jun. 2012, 15:05
    • headey schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 31. Mai. 2012, 18:26

sliders

Poarstman said:
    ...though I sort of find the sliding bars for mainstream and repitition a little confusing.
    It should be to the left for fewer repeats ; & for less popular tracks.
    I did try to test it once but couldn't see a significant difference. And I think it generates a longer code which I 'felt' meant the lastfm computers were more likely to give up and give a 'no more content' message.
    I just leave the sliders in the centre these days.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • tburny schrieb...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 1. Jun. 2012, 15:07
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will put it onto the bug tracker tomorrow :)

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.